FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another freaking UDS build! Finished updated cook pics 02/08

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02 10 2:51 pm    Post subject: Another freaking UDS build! Finished updated cook pics 02/08 Reply with quote

Well I got an ECB not to long ago and fell in love with smoking meat. The problem is I have been doing some long smokes which means not much sleep for me. After doing my research I am building an UDS following almost exactly what this guy did. But I only plan to run one cooking grate. How far down should I put the cooking grate if I plan to use the barrel lid not a Weber lid?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=662611&postcount=86

All I have so far is 4 1" holes drilled and the barrel burned out. I lit it at 3pm today and now 10 hours later there are still red hot coals in it. I burned 2 full pallets as this used to contain Line-X part B. Everything I have read says it should be safe as long as I burn it all out. I wire brushed the outside and will do the same to the inside. I purchased everything else I need to build this tomorrow except a thermometer and I forgot the bolts to hold the grate.

Click To Enlarge

About Line-X part B and the MSDS

http://ajps75.com/uploader/files/1/MSDS.pdf
http://ajps75.com/uploader/files/1/About.pdf

Last edited by AJP on Tue Feb 09 10 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02 10 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJP, I would go low enough for a beer can chicken say about 10''. If I knew I was never going to add another grate and only use the one.

Hybrid Cooker
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking grate should be aprox 24" above charcoal grate, which should be aprox 2.5" above bottom of barrel. It may not leave you enough room for a beer can chicken, but getting to close to the fire is not the way these were designed. I went down to 23" on mine, if you get much closer you will be grilling.
Check this out: http://bbqblog.com/?p=81
Note that the barrel they reference is 38" high. I think mine is about 35" which is standard. He also states that he has 9" clearance, but that doesn't add up. If you stay close to this design it will work out fine. I've built several and have been using one for about 4yrs now. I have a Traeger Texas sitting right next to it, but I normally choose the drum.
Good luck with your build.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Portable Sportsman Gasser
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
oldnndway
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the grate support bolts at 7" down from the lip on mine.
Not sure how far that is above the fire.
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not bad so far today. Got the barrel painted with BBQ paint and most of the items needed to finish this are purchased. I need a little more expanded metal, some stainless bolts for the legs of the charcoal basket and to hold up the grate, and a thermometer. All and all I am about $60 into it so far as the barrel was free.

Click To Enlarge

Now my question I figure once I am done I will be about $80 into this. I found some places in the future to get many of the things cheaper and will only have to spend around $60 to make another. I have several people asking for them already would $150 be fair?
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDS gets $325 for the Midi which is 35". $150 is more than fair. How tall is that barrel,not sure if it's the angle of your photo, but it looks like one of the taller barrels 38"?? I sold 2 for $275 each, They had 2 racks and a cover.
By the way, your build looks great!!!

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel is 34.5" tall. My plans for this is just a one rack smoker with the barrel lid as a cover. I couldn't find a used cheap Weber, and when I looked for the off brand 22.5" grills I couldn't find any locally. Wal-Mart does free site to store shipping on the Uniflame 22.5" for $40 but I didn't want to wait 8-12 days.

I don't see the need to ever have more than just one rack full for me, if I do I will build an upgraded version down the line. I was also thinking that I could sell the upgraded version for $200. Using the uniflame parts instead of Weber will lower the quality but the price increase is nominal. I paid $32 for a weber 22.5" grill grate, and charcoal grate.

As far as how deep I plan to put the grate I will build my charcoal pan then measure up 24" to get the most room I can, I'm hoping I can do a turkey on this, or a chicken vertically as I also bought a chicken roaster.
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24" measurement is from the charcoal grate not the top of the charcoal basket. Some folks are making the baskets near 12" high, which I don't understand. Mine is 6" high and when full of lump charcoal will burn for 12 hours at 250 easy. I've seen the real deal BDS and the way that article explains it is exactly how it was made. I stayed very close to the plans, but everyone has there own idea's.
I don't have a Weber lid, but the only time I wish I had one is for the beer can chickens or maybe a turkey as you mentioned. I can't fit either in mine. I built it with 2 racks but rarely use the top rack. Again good luck.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find an easy way to cut down this expanded metal I will do a 6" high basket as well. Otherwise it will be 12" tall.

Well got a little bit done today before I have to head into work. Click any pic to enlarge it.

First I purchase a few goodies. A couple long stemmed thermometers and a ice maker coupler to attach it to the UDS.

Here is the ice maker coupler I speak of next to a huge drill bit.

Drill big old hole

Put half of coupler through hole and attach other half to lock it in place

Thermometer fits perfect

Lock it in and call that part good

Next I put the pipe nipple on, conduit nut inside and out to lock it in. (I'm gonna have to have a buddy come over and give me a hand locking it in. Even at 6'1" I can reach the nut inside and out at the same time.

Next I put in the bolts to hold the grill grate (ended up just doing 7 inches)

Finally I put the handle on the lid

This is how she stands right now (pulled out thermometer so I don't break it)

If I can get the charcoal basket built and a buddy to come over later I will be able to smoke on this in 2-3 days when the paint is good and dry.
txluke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bad thing about a UDS is when stupid people toss trash in your smoker.
KulinaryKila
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet build. I might have to go and build me another one. Hope to see some of your cooks on it.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built mine I cut the Expanded for the basket with a metal blade in my saber saw. Made real short work of it. Your build is looking very clean.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txluke wrote:
The only bad thing about a UDS is when stupid people toss trash in your smoker.

Laughing Laughing I thought about painting "Butt Can" on mine, but thought better of it.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJP wrote:
If I can find an easy way to cut down this expanded metal I will do a 6" high basket as well. Otherwise it will be 12" tall.

Don't see why you can't leave at 12", just don't need to fill. Nice job on that "Butt Can"
Tip: If you add a robe hook to the inside of the lid you can hang the lid off the side of the barrel. Maybe try to attach it with the same bolts you use for the handle. Wink

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04 10 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky C wrote:
AJP wrote:

Don't see why you can't leave at 12", just don't need to fill. Nice job on that "Butt Can"
Tip: If you add a robe hook to the inside of the lid you can hang the lid off the side of the barrel. Maybe try to attach it with the same bolts you use for the handle. Wink

I've got some ideas for a hook but need to see how they work out first. Also if I can cut it down to 6 then the piece of expanded I have is enough, if not I need to obtain more.

In other news I have 5 people lined up to purchase one, 3 have already paid me $150 for theres. I also obtained a few 25 gallon metal barrels and want to try a mini smoker. Look for that post in the near future.
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09 10 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I got this finished just in time for the Super Bowl. I planned to snap pics of everything I made but it got so busy and I was cooking for about 30 people so I just didn't get a chance.

First things first, I put some legs on the basket. I need to add an ash pan but I was short on time, I will add that later this week.
Click To Enlarge

I had a sheet of 24x12 expanded metal. I was able to cut it using some snips so I had 2 24x6 sheets. I bolted it all together to make one sheet the rolled it round and bolted it again.

Here is a picture of the butt on the smoker at 4am the night before the big game

Next afternoon we added a rack of baby backs, 24 ABT's, and a pork loin I made. Took a large tender loin and butterflyed it out nice and flat. Laid out some shredded Colby Jack cheese and broccoli inside, then wrapped in a bacon weave.

We did 2 beer can chickens in my ECB at 350 for about an hour and a half. It came out amazing and juicy with a great flavor. We brined them over night also.

Pictures got forgotten after this point but we also did 12 thighs on the ECB, 6 boneless skinless breasts, and baked beans. Everything turned out amazing and the UDS held 250 for 18 hours on 18lbs of Kingsford. After the game I went outside and it was still 245 after over 20 hours of cooking.

The next smoke I will do better about taking pics and I plan to use some Royal Oak lump I got. I also think I probably sold 2-3 smokers once everyone saw how good and easy it all was.

I would like to say thanks to my buddy Steve who helped with all the cooking and was responsible for honestly some of the best ribs I've ever had yesterday. Hopefully Steve has joined the site and can post how he thought it all went yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: