FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man, I Gotta Tell Ya...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26 10 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Smoker wrote:
WOW !!!! I'm about to turn 58 and you guys are starting to make me feel pretty good .. Laughing ..

Yeah, I'm sneakin' up on 57. Two pills for the prostate and a multivitamin and I'm good to go. I guess it helps that I'm as skinny as a rail. My only exercise is yard work and walking downtown to the pubs for some barley pops. Cool

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 10 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned 57 in December and my neck sounds like it's full of sand when I move it, my knees ache when I climb stairs or a ladder, torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, hearing is going from too many years in construction, yet reading what some of you younger guys have been through makes me feel as if I'm damn near in perfect health.
springfield xd .40
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea my neighbor (62) tells me there is 3 things you got to remember when you hit 60.

1) Never trust a fart!!!

2) Never pass a restroom!!!

3) And never waste a har* on!!!!

<-----32 I got a little way to go yet.

a custom reverse towable pit
patio offset char griller
the classic weber
www.easttexassmokercompany.com
www.lyonsmeatsmn.com
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are lucky this stuff hit you when you are old. I'm 25 and thanks to my stint in the army and OIF, I'm 60% disabled and have terrible, terrible arthritis.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be turning 56 soon. But I still think I'm 28 except when I look in the mirror. It's the worst job I have ever had but I am the bouncer at a bar that has a lot of trouble. It is across the street from a large Univercity. I feel blessed to enjoy the great health I have had for so long, but I know it could be over any day at this age. I wish many blessings on all of you.
Dave C
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<----36.......and for the last 15 years being a firefighter and union electrician climbing towers in the refinery and pulling cable and doing all the fire activities im starting to feel the pain....couples wonky knees...real bad back...suffer from a pinched ciatic nerve...2-3 times a year im laid up and cant move....shoulders always sore and now and then the fingers in my left hand just go numb...(no im not having a heart attack.....i think...)....hopefully and still have a way togo and wondering what pain lies ahead for me too... Shocked
Bradley upright
Centrino 4800 grill
SRV signature strat
***proud member..big fat liar's club****
Slowsauce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mojo Risin' wrote:
You guys are lucky this stuff hit you when you are old. I'm 25 and thanks to my stint in the army and OIF, I'm 60% disabled and have terrible, terrible arthritis.

I can relate to ya bro!

I just dinged 30 years old this year.. still a young dude, but 12 years in the army has really kicked my ass.. and i still have 8 more to go Very Happy

Listening to my Grand dad one day kinda made me laugh.. said Life isn't half bad till you find yourself waking up every morning and making sure everything is still working alright.. lol
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 10 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really lucky. I just turned 52. But late last year, I got the itch to get in better shape. I lost 15 pounds in about six weeks and worked my way up to 6 miles a day on the treadmill. I also watch out (a little) for what not to eat. I consume very few processed foods and "bad" carbs. An occasional beer = good carbs.

Now, when I move firewood from the back yard to the porch or garage or crawl through the basement crawlspace with Christmas decorations, I don't ache.

A few more months and I'll be in BBQ shape again. Laughing

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 10 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef,

It's a lot better with options available in modern medical technology that it used to be - I'll be the first to admit I'm a candy-pants compared to the prior generation of both sides of my family, who grew up during the Great depression followed by the WWII experience.

Some things happen regardless of choices we make - they were encoded before we ever entered the world or put any milege on. I had PFO closure in my heart two years ago - Jan. 15, 2008. My implant is 23 mm in diameter, so I had a hole about 3/4" between chambers of my heart plugged like a flat tire- I had CO2 laden blood short-circuting to the arterial side my whole life up to that point, and I've quantified through my scuba hobby I now take 2 breaths for every 3 I used to take to keep my blood CO2 levels where they need to be.

Lots of other stuff - low blood pressure (I've had to actually increase salt in my diet), pollen allergies since I was a kid, bursitis issues for the past decade that as the docs told me 'It'll only gt worse with time", etc. - just a larger array of doctors and pharmacopia as time marches on.

I'll turn 48 in September this year. Could be a lot worse. I've been in touch recently with a high school classmate whose birthday is less than 3 weeks after mine, and she's in Phase 4 breat cancer with metastases(sp?) and likely won't see her 48th birthday. She's down to 81 lbs. but stilldrives her F150 all over the place not only for her treatment regimens but also for all the everyday stuff we all need to do regardless. Chats with her help me keep a relative rather than absolute perspective on things, and posts by others on this thread have helped with that as well.
Dad2Three

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 10 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOOAAA!!!!! You know I THOUGHT it smelled a little like bengay in here... Wink

Lang 84
Weber 22.5 w/ mod CajunBandit smoker kit
Perfect Flame Gasser
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 10 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad2Three wrote:
WHOOAAA!!!!! You know I THOUGHT it smelled a little like bengay in here... Wink

LMAO....usually the smoke covers up the bengay smell. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 10 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest clean smoke smell covers up a lot of things, and always makes me nostalgic about prior cooks be they weeks or decades ago.

Ben-Gay is only some sort of moisturizer I think. My body demands only prescription Voltaren gel.
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02 10 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Getting old is not for wimps"
46 yrs old here, things are starting to go bad. Hope everyone makes the best of it. I found out that complaining doesn't help.
"I don't know
But I've been told
If you keep on dancing
You'll never grow old
"
Good luck everyone.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Portable Sportsman Gasser
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02 10 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that if i was a horse i would be put down. Wink
Falling arches from pounding the concrete at work all day. Tugging, pulling, bending, hammering around on cars all day my middle back slip`s in & out. My neck sound like gravel also.
Yeah it`s best if when i can`t do body work anymore to just shoot me cause i don`t know how to do much else except for cooking. Rolling Eyes
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever some one says I'm getting old I tell them that they are right and I hope I get a lot older. I broke down hard last april when I was 49 and had to spend eleven days in the hospital. Stopped drinking and started eating better and dropped 25 lbs and feel great. Just the normal aches and pains that come with heavy welding and fabbing for 30 years. I have to admit no beer and BBQ in moderation can be tough but it could be a lot worse Very Happy

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"

Last edited by Gray Goat on Wed Feb 03 10 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Man, I Gotta Tell Ya... Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
This gettin' older thing ain't workin' out for me. Gettin' cramps in places I didn't even know I could get cramps, weird sh!t goin' on with my ticker, etc., etc., etc. How are you guys (and gals) dealing with it? I sure wish I had a job with health insurance.

what are ya gettin a little male menopause..I assume you're male... Razz
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Man, I Gotta Tell Ya... Reply with quote

Louie wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:
This gettin' older thing ain't workin' out for me. Gettin' cramps in places I didn't even know I could get cramps, weird sh!t goin' on with my ticker, etc., etc., etc. How are you guys (and gals) dealing with it? I sure wish I had a job with health insurance.

Like I replied to your insulting PM, "Idiot".
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Man, I Gotta Tell Ya... Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
Louie wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:

Different huh, when the shoe is on the other foot,every one liner you posted in the catering section was verbal diarrhea so take what comes with it ..egit... no harm done I have "HUGH" shoulders,cheers bud and have a good night...

Last edited by Louie3 on Wed Feb 03 10 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Man, I Gotta Tell Ya... Reply with quote

Louie wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:
Louie wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:

Different huh, when the shoe is on the other foot,every one liner you posted in the catering section was verbal diarrhea so take what comes with it ..egit... no harm done I have "HUGH" shoulders,cheers bud and have a good night...

Bye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: