FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To burr or not to burr, that is the question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20 10 9:24 pm    Post subject: To burr or not to burr, that is the question Reply with quote

While rounding some edges prior to welding a piece on the pit I got to thinking about something that is second nature to me now, but maybe wasn't always. With some forumites expressing the desire to enter the world of metal fab, I say congrats, bring it on! But remember this..PLEASE be sure and deburr your work! While fetching a newly built gage from our tool and die shop years ago, I was halted by the T & D MGR. He informed me that it was not quite finished tho it looked fine to me, it was as I had designed it so whats the prob? He told me it was not yet deburred and that " Nothing comes out of my shop with a sharp edge, never" and that " Fresh cut metal is just like the old Wilkonson Bonded razor blade commercials, sharp!" That info has stuck with me and you would have to be Sherlock Holmes to find a sharp edge or corner on my work. So to all, experienced or new, think of your friends, loved ones and possibly even the jerkwads and clean your work. Just my $.25 worth I thought might be of benefit.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21 10 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said partner. It only took one time for me to figure out it was much easier to grind as you go. With all the crazy positions I've been in on my build, no doubt I would have made a trip to the ER had I not rounded my corners.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21 10 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, Kudos my Friend on a subject often not mentioned. Very Happy I always de-burr every piece I work with, but it is second nature to me. And always round corners where a body part might come in contact with. But I have never mentioned its benefits. Nicely done. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21 10 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: To burr or not to burr, that is the question Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
While rounding some edges prior to welding a piece on the pit I got to thinking about something that is second nature to me now, but maybe wasn't always. With some forumites expressing the desire to enter the world of metal fab, I say congrats, bring it on! But remember this..PLEASE be sure and deburr your work! While fetching a newly built gage from our tool and die shop years ago, I was halted by the T & D MGR. He informed me that it was not quite finished tho it looked fine to me, it was as I had designed it so whats the prob? He told me it was not yet deburred and that " Nothing comes out of my shop with a sharp edge, never" and that " Fresh cut metal is just like the old Wilkonson Bonded razor blade commercials, sharp!" That info has stuck with me and you would have to be Sherlock Holmes to find a sharp edge or corner on my work. So to all, experienced or new, think of your friends, loved ones and possibly even the jerkwads and clean your work. Just my $.25 worth I thought might be of benefit.

...Just not enough said about this subject,be it general machine shop practice or,most importantly in any machine shop or metal fabricating facility, SAFETY.

Reflecting back on years of tool and die manufacturing in the electronics industry,deburring of manufactured parts was not only expected, it was a blueprint requirement.

Thanks again,Wreckless for a well intended reminder for some of us and
general message of safety importance for all of us! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: