FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket One Day Ahead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokerg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 8:44 am    Post subject: Brisket One Day Ahead Reply with quote

Hello All!

Sorry this thing got hacked, I was really hoping to find some info about brisket in here. I am new to smoking but have been asked by a friend to do 3 (9 Pound) briskets for a party of his. I have other stuff I have to do as well, and if I read my copy of Peace, Love and Barbecue correctly, it is approximately 1.5 hours per pound. So this gives me two questions I need to ask:
1) Do I need to modify the time based on thre briskets, or do I still only calculate for 9 pounds
2) This is the tough one - I need to do this thing a day ahead. Do I go ahead and cook the whole thing and then reheat in oven just before the party or do I cook part of the way and then finish in the oven the next day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
smokerg
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 11:18 am    Post subject: My 2 cents Reply with quote

It will take longer depending on what kind of box you have to cook 27 # vs 9#. Stick a thermo in it and cook to 160 - 170, take it off wrap it in foil, let it rest 30 minutes, then refrigerate.

Next day, take it out & sit on counter for an hour, then put in oven in the foil and finish to 180 - 190 depending on how done you want it.
smokerg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dholcomb ...

One question ... is there anything I should do differently to make sure it doesn't dry out on me (water in tray in bottom of oven or something like that)?
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 9:48 pm    Post subject: Foiled Reply with quote

The foil wrapping will keep it from drying out. You may want to tent the foil so that it doesn't get steamed & mushy, unless that's the way you like it.

In general it should take 8 - 10 - 12 hours to get it thru the first stage, then about 4 hours to finish it the next day, depending on how hot you set the oven & how fast it needs to get done.

Too bad we lost the many many posts in here on qing brisket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: