FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rectangular VS round design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 12:46 am    Post subject: Rectangular VS round design Reply with quote

While still learning the art of pit design I came across this thought. I have made both round and rectangular smokers but the reason of choice was merely due to that is what I had available at the time ( lots of plate steel once, and lots of pipe the other) I found that the rectangular design is a bit easier to build than that of pipe as far as getting the doors and such cut out on a pipe smoker. In addition, the rectangular seem to avoid the inherent taper off clearanc of a round design. So....Why so many round design pits out there? What is the advantage of a round pipe/propane tank, etc design if any?
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I did a search and came up with 50+ pages of topics to breeze thru and got lazy and started a new thread. Such is the downfalls of dial up Rolling Eyes
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You answered the question... Availability of materials most of the time. Not to mention that with a plate design there is a LOT more welding involved, whereas with a tank or pipe the welding is minimized since you already have the main body of the pit complete.

My 2 cents,

Charlie
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cranky Buzzard wrote:
You answered the question... Availability of materials most of the time. Not to mention that with a plate design there is a LOT more welding involved, whereas with a tank or pipe the welding is minimized since you already have the main body of the pit complete.

My 2 cents,

Charlie

+1 for CB, that's why I have a Double Drum and a UDS, no welder required and the best part of all FREE.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... My favorite starting point for pit design are the propane tanks becauce I want to take advantage of both of the dome end caps. The end away from the firebox to help eliminate hotspots and the other end by the firebox to use as a heated exhaust chamber.I also agree with the thought of rectangular pits being more effeceint so far as amount of meat on the upper racks. Therefore when a high capacity cooker is a must and a small footprint very desirable or the ability to cook at different temps or have an oven and or a holding area I believe that a plate desgn is the way to go.This all having been said I dream of a propane tank design that incorporates both of these concepts but as of yet I have not adviced anyone who needs that much capacity and wants to cook chicken at say 325 and butts at say 225 at the same time.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this means a hill of beans when it comes to barbequing, but with respect to air flow, round produces less turbulance.
QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree you answered your own question, we use whatever is around.
May I also add here in Florida propane tanks are really cheap. I got Big Head for $24.00 from a Propane company. I cut my doors in my propane tank like the Gent that made Cyclops, I think it is very easy. They have to fall straight.
hybrid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with how tough its been for me to find propane tanks, Im going to have to go with rectangular or some variant of it. Im litterally exhausted trying to find a 125 tank to build a back yard smoker out of.

So Ive decied that Im gonna borrow some ideas from several builders and build my own completely. Its that or give up.....not gonna happen.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hybrid, What's your 20?

If we know your location, folks might have a lead on some places to start or people to contact to see about getting a tank like that.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next pit will be a rectangular design. Similar to this one that my buddy built earlier this year. There is just so much more usable space on a square/rectangular pit.

BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent input guys! Now with a bit more fuel to work with, here is my delemna for the original question. I am gunshy on the round. I have had good luck since my first round build having switched to cutoff wheels and now a plasma cutter for the doors, but my first build was what I thought was a propane tank and after getting her open I discovered it was only 1/8'th" thickness. I think some of you may have seen that pit listed on here and the question was always " How thick is it? So on that...how the hell can you tell ahead of time? Yup, lot less welding once the doors were cut but spent many an hour removing the warp that I had created to the point of almost giving up. Being a welder, yes, I have burned many a rod using plate steel for a build but I was in complete control the whole time, not the tank. So it is mostly the doors scarying me away but I really want to try another round and there is a nice propane tank just sitting out front a yard nearby. That said....how can I tell the thickness when there is no way to mic it ahead of time? And one more...Any tips or calculations to come to a good price to offer for a tank? Sorry for the long post but I really am ready to rock-n-roll with another build but have to get some help here before I dare go blindly looking for a tank.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
My next pit will be a rectangular design. Similar to this one that my buddy built earlier this year. There is just so much more usable space on a square/rectangular pit.

Santa Maria dude! That has got to be the finest, most sensible large smoker I have seen yet. I think I am putting that one down as my new standard. No way I could operate it like the guy in the photo tho. I would have to be playing with it. But I can build it LOL. Way Cool. The meat locker to suppy it must be an awesome rig too?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone know how to tell what the thickness of of an uncut tank is by looking at it? As I mentioned earlier, the one and only tank build I have done was one I aquired cheaply but had no idea it would only be 1/8'th thick until I cut into it. I am not going that route again. A bit big to not be at least 3'16 or 1/4 but the doors became a pain. This one had only slightly rounded ends as opposed to the bulbous ones. Maybe I had a fuel tank?
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to unscrew one of the fittings and measure the thickness?
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, I'm not sure how to know exactly what thickness a tank is but I bet there is a formula. Let's say a 150 gal. tank that weighs X is 1/4" or Y is 3/16". There has to be a way to know by the tank's empty weight. Just my $.02. My 150 gal. took a forklift to load on the truck and ended up 3/16" when we cut it open.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO at my predicament. They are laying all over the place in farmers fields around here so a wieght is not possible At least not in the field and that old farmer is going to tell me it was a propane tank, a fuel tank, a space shuttle tank, whatever it takes to get top dollar out of me LOL And I thought about how the hell would I get in there to mic it? Guess I was hoping the tanks visual would tell me if ya'll new of a visual difference in fuel vs propane. I don't speak fluent tank quite yet. Good ideas John and slapout, just not sure I can apply them in this scenario
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, here is a list of propane tank sizes and weights. Measure said tank length and diameter, also circumference. and see which one fits your tank. when you get the estimated weight of your tank. Take the circumference and divide by 12 along with the length.
Example. Most 250 gall propane tanks are 30'' x 94 '' long and weigh in at around 650 lbs. the circumference of 30'' is 94.2478 in. so to make things easy, a piece of 3/16'' plate 94'' x 94'' weighs about 470lbs. 1/4'' plate that size ways in at 626lbs. So I would think if you new the weight of the tank you could come really close to figuring the shell thickness. Also a lot of the tanks will have a data plate on them and the shell thickness should be on it. I hope this helps.
Here is a link to some tank dimensions.
http://www.missiongas.com/propanetanks.htm

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. K.A.M. , with the weights you provided that explains it. The 29" 1/8 tank I had was a fuel tank and so are these tanks I am finding with the for sale signs. There is a visual difference. These tanks have fittings at both ends. Propane tanks do not. Glad I checked here first before parting with $$$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: