FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurant Depot and Meat Quality -Better Than Sam's/Costco?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 09 1:11 am    Post subject: Restaurant Depot and Meat Quality -Better Than Sam's/Costco? Reply with quote

Was curious for those who have a membership to Restaurant Depot (or are using the free one from the KCBS Bullsheet as I would be) - how their meat is as opposed to Sam's or Costco?

I picked up my free Restaraunt Depot membership a couple of days ago and went through looking at everything, and while their meat was pretty cost effective - I wasn't sure of the quality. This place kinda felt like a Sam's with different brands and so forth - but I didn't get a warm and fuzzy walking around.

Thoughts everyone - just curious. Thanks!
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 09 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Restaurant Depot and Meat Quality -Better Than Sam's/Cos Reply with quote

vexter1 wrote:
Was curious for those who have a membership to Restaurant Depot (or are using the free one from the KCBS Bullsheet as I would be) - how their meat is as opposed to Sam's or Costco?

I picked up my free Restaraunt Depot membership a couple of days ago and went through looking at everything, and while their meat was pretty cost effective - I wasn't sure of the quality. This place kinda felt like a Sam's with different brands and so forth - but I didn't get a warm and fuzzy walking around.

Thoughts everyone - just curious. Thanks!

All of the Restaurant Depot memberships are free no matter how you get it.

I have never had a problem with the meat, I also go to Costco, never been to Sams club though

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 09 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally all the Sam's in the Atlanta area suck meat wise...small selection, numerous bad packs of chicken over the years, never have whole briskets, and they seem to stock whatever comes in.

Restaurant Depot has Excel or IBP every time I go. Whole briskets, choice beef, ibp pork, and several different cuts/sizes of ribs. I switched about 1.5 years ago to RD and havent worried about my meat since. With Sam's I would often have to go to several to get everything I wanted for a comp and like I said several times pulled really off chicken from the big family packs.

I really like RD.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 09 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily "better" some of it's the same.

The key is to focus on the maker of the product, regardless of store.

IBP sells to all of them
Farmland does too.

If you get the brand name and cook with it and like it, remember the name.

If you don't like it? Remember that name too.
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - that's the kindof info I was looking for - some of the pricing was better - some was about the same - so was just curious since the BullSheet got me in the door (I don't have a tax id number etc that Rd requires for a membership) - so wanted to check before I got too involved.

Thanks for the input guys - as usual - much appreciated!
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down here it just depends on the day... Sometimes RD has better looking meat and sometimes it is Sam's.

Be sure what your buying our RD full spares are not enhanced, but the St. Louis pretrimmed spares are enhanced.
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, get to know the Meat Manager.

I know when they get their trucks in and ask for the fresh stuff.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Also, get to know the Meat Manager.

I know when they get their trucks in and ask for the fresh stuff.

just grabbed the card of the meat manager last night. They are now carrying prime beef at my local RD and he said that they would start ordering prime briskets if I would buy them. Looking forward to trying to wet age some prime briskets for next season.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11 09 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy all my briskets from them prime grade never had any issue,s gotta whatch prices on other stuff
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
fastguy71

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all those chain stores have cheap meat even if its prime.I have a good friend that owns a sports bar and grill.He goes through a local meat guy that has the best meat I have ever gotten.It's also alot cheaper than going to those chain stores.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 09 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastguy71 wrote:
I thought all those chain stores have cheap meat even if its prime.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. The grade is the grade and if you can find it at a chain store, it has to be prime if it's labeled that way.

If you can get it cheaper at a butcher and like it, that's always the best way to go. Around here though, the traditional butcher has disappeared because of insurance and all they do is take prepacked food (like brisket, ribs, etc) take it out and put it in the case. That's not a butcher to me.
fastguy71

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13 09 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last bbq contest I went to was on a short notice.I didn't have time to order it in from my friend.I went to the rd to pick it up.Brisket was ok,But I get better and it was a prime grade.Many different packers out there.The pork butts were ok,but the ribs I bought were very expensive and horrible.I bought a st louis cut.Wasn't impressed at all.We live in the kc area getting good quality meat around here isn't hard at all.I know it gets limited in other areas.Most meat around here is packed in this state.
School of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14 09 12:27 am    Post subject: meat Reply with quote

I suggest Costco if they have the cut you are looking for. They have one of the best beef purchasing programs in the US. All of there meat is Choice. That is a fact. It is a standard corporate wide.

Sams is just behind a little but still offers a good product.

Restaurant depot can be a crap shoot. They by price off the meat market. Grades are mixed. Recently purchased pork. It did not last more than 2 days in cryovac. very light in color means very stressed pigs. Will never buy there again
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14 09 9:52 am    Post subject: RD, Sam's, Costco: Reply with quote

I have three Sam's in my area, only two carry packers, and one of them not all the time, the other only carries flats. And the Costco in our area doesn't carry briskets or butts.

The closest RD is about an hour away and I haven't gotten a chance to go into one of thier stores, yet. Wish there was one closer.
Weber Kettle
KCBS CBJ
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14 09 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to buy my meat at Walmart or Sam's Club. The last couple of times we used them the meat was HORRIBLE, very little fat cap on the brisket, and I wont even go into the problems with the butts and shoulders. We started getting our meat through a commercial food service via a local restaurant. The meat quality is great compared to the local stores and best of all...wholesale prices. Very Happy
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Salt Creek Bar-B-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09 10 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sams around me are all different. Go 1 hour west and it sucks, but travel 2.5 in the other direction and ten times better. Can someone please explain the difference between CAB and choice??? Are they on the same level??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13 10 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAB is just that ( Certified Angus Beef ) is not all fed the same way, or of the same age so can is not of the same grade, It has to be 50% of Angus beeding I believe. 101
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13 10 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RD here in SA has not had great meat the few times I've been over there. I have had better luck at Costco.

GIANT BBQ
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13 10 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101 wrote:
CAB is just that ( Certified Angus Beef ) is not all fed the same way, or of the same age so can is not of the same grade, It has to be 50% of Angus beeding I believe. 101

The American Angus Association set up the "Certified Angus Beef" brand in 1978. The goal of this brand was to promote the idea that Angus beef was of higher quality than beef from other breeds of cattle. Cattle are eligible for "Certified Angus Beef" evaluation if they are at least 51% black and exhibit Angus influence, which include Black Simmental beef and crossbreds. However, they must meet all 10 of the following criteria, which were refined in January 2007 to further enhance product consistency, to be labeled "Certified Angus Beef" by USDA Graders:

Modest or higher degree of marbling
    Medium or fine marbling texture
    "A" maturity
    10 to 16-square-inch ribeye area
    Less than 1,000-pound hot carcase weight
    Less than 1-inch fat thickness
    Moderately thick or thicker muscling
    No hump on the neck exceeding 5 cm (2 inches)
    Practically free of capillary rupture
    No dark cutting characteristics

I still work here!
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13 10 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
However, they must meet all 10 of the following criteria, which were refined in January 2007 to further enhance product consistency, to be labeled "Certified Angus Beef" by USDA Graders:

Modest or higher degree of marbling
    Medium or fine marbling texture
    "A" maturity
    10 to 16-square-inch ribeye area
    Less than 1,000-pound hot carcase weight
    Less than 1-inch fat thickness
    Moderately thick or thicker muscling
    No hump on the neck exceeding 5 cm (2 inches)
    Practically free of capillary rupture
    No dark cutting characteristics

Sounds like a lot of bull to me. Wink

Seriously, most people make the mistake of equating CAB with a USDA grade of beef, but it's almost apples and oranges.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: