FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wanna be caterer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iasmoker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22 05 6:22 am    Post subject: wanna be caterer Reply with quote

am thinking of starting a bbq catering service in an area that dosen't have one (as far as i can tell) I am in north central iowa and have been told by others that my bbq is the best. My question is this; barring the limitations placed by the local codes what is the minimum starting place i can start with, i.e. just a smoker on a trailer or do I need a professionaly equiped rig/ I am trying to start w/a minimum of start up costs and just a weekend thing to see if it will fly.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 05 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IaSmoker! Good luck with your new venture Very Happy We started our business part time while I was still building packaging machinery for the food industry. Had the advantage of a full shop to put together all the equipment that I needed to get started. Stainless steel has since gone through the roof in costs (40% more last year alone!) Sad We are also in an area (tampa Bay) that has a good climate for year round BBQ, altough it is hotter than a runaway firebox in the Summer! I also advertise in the YellowBook, mail out brocures, network, and run a web-site. It takes a while to get your name out there, dont expect a quick start right away. I kept my day job while building the business for three years, and have been self-employeed for the past two. While there is some competition here, the area has a lot of potential clients, and our food and service is a lot better! There is always room for one more if ya do great "Q"! Very Happy Let us know if you ever want to chat, always glad to help out if I can. We have unlimited long distance for the business. Have fun and let us know how you are doing with it Very Happy
tfuchs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 05 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey IaSmoker, I live in NW IA and am building a portable BBQ pit with the same intentions. If you ever need any help give me a holler.

Tim

Smoke Em If you got Em
tfuchs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 05 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Ya I also have a kitcher liscensed to sell food from So I know that doing portable catering would not be a problem for me. I will check with my neighbor who Is the head of the county health department and find out for ya. Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: