FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who really wants to open their own restaurant?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18 09 8:17 am    Post subject: Who really wants to open their own restaurant? Reply with quote

Hello friends, i found this wonderful site a few months back in my quest to plan my bbq business. After reading almost everything here i see a lot of others have the same dream i do of running my own place. I would like to know who else wants to i mean really wants to have their own bbq restaurant? Like ready to change your life type of stuff. Also like to say thanks to all have who posted about their journeys into business i really appreciate reading it and all those who say don't do it i have to Thanks Jeff
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18 09 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I would love to have our own BBQ joint, just to chicken to take the first step.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
matt6150
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and am working on it!
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small place (leased the kitchen of a bar) for about 6 months. Had to leave because of a dispute with the owner of the bar. Once I get the $$$, I will open another one.

One thing to know is, you MUST have prior restaurant experience. A restaurant has many variables that can't be learned except in a hands-on environment. I've been working in restaurants for many years, with various FOH and BOH management positions, as well.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
One thing to know is, you MUST have prior restaurant experience.

Agree, And Disagree~ Shocked

I recently purchased half of a Pizza shop. The only experience I have in the buisness is I work 2 weeks at a Wendy's 20yrs ago.

I have since turned that Pizza shop into a Breakfast / Pizza/ Subs/Steaks/ BBQ shop. Revenues are up 60%, Partly cause it's new and exciting, Partly cause of the area. So it is not impossible to start out "green" so to speak. (Although I have catered for the last 4 years as well, and competed around the country also )

But the value of having experience in food handling, managment of employees, Product movement through specials ETC is irreplacable. Know the buisness your getting into, Or it will eat every penny you have. I have seen guy's that are loaded, Loose a ton before admitting defeat.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret on how to make a small fortune by owning your own restaurant is quite simple actually..........

Start with a large fortune!!
quik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys i really do want a place of my own . It is very scary as many have said a ton of risk,work,etc limited returns. Great to also hear the positive aspects . My story is kinda simple my current career is dying and i dont want to die. I am used to risky ventures I understand bbq is tough i still choose to make the move. I have been building my plan slowly gathering info. (Thanks for all info here guys and gals) I have read every post about bbq startups here Great stuff! I understand working in a place before having my own would be smart just cant do that now. With that said if their is anybody with a bbq restaurant that would consider free hard working help for a few days i would love the real experience. I would travel almost anywhere for the chance. I know i am not that crazy Rolling Eyes I did some catering a long time ago (not bbq) and always remember after the longest hardest days / nights i felt a high that i have not felt since (tried a few things though Smile ) When i talk about the bbq business sometimes i get teared up. I have to do it Jeff
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 09 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, best of luck to you.

I would recommend starting with catering, and then branching out given the right opportunity.

I'd be willing to bet that there isn't much in the greater Chicago area, so that might be a viable niche' for you.
quik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29 09 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just wanted to say Thanks Again for all the Great people here. A few have reached out to me offering a chance to see their operations. I really appreciate it. Looks like some road trips Very Happy Just a little update on my progress this week

1- Made some great contacts
2- Looked at many potential spots more sun
3-Got my NBBQA trade show package going!!
4-Read all i could about commercial smkrs
5-Over loaded my brain with bbq info Shocked
Hope you all had a happy holiday Thanks Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: