FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurant closing:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 9:23 am    Post subject: Restaurant closing: Reply with quote

A large restaurant opened in our area about 5 months ago, it closed this week. I called and talked with the owner at length today. His said one of the main reasons for the failure was in the last 5 months his employees had stolen over $15,000.00 worth of food, small wares and money from him. He said he just did not have the time to do inventories and accounting checks every night after closing. Received lots of good experience info that will be helpful to me if I ever take this path in the future. I guess the old saying “good help is hard to find” hits home in this case! It was sad, because he said he was making a steady profit with the business.
Weber Kettle
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad, and actually quite typical these days.

A few cents of product pilfered here and there can add up real quick, especially when you have several employees each pilfering what they think will not be noticed.

If he thinks it is $15K that got lost, I bet the employees were able to loot at least double that. I see it happening real easy if he was not reconciling his foodcost ratios against his inventory at least on a monthy basis.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched opening a bar years ago and found out one of the largest loses was double pouring shots of liquor .

ya think its a little thing but it adds up huge
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same kind of thing happened here not long ago.
It's a damn shame Mad

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restaurant closing: Reply with quote

CarolinaQ wrote:
He said he just did not have the time to do inventories and accounting checks every night after closing

That's something you HAVE to do. Heck, he could of hired someone to do it for him. I'm sure that persons pay would be less than what was stolen.

Moonie
twojacks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as Harry said, when loss prevention comes into our stores for "theft" investigations, whenever someone admits to stealing and admits to a certain $ amount, loss prevention triples that figure to get an accurate total of theft $$.
Its huge.
4LittlePigs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can't trust anybody. I had to fire a girl on Friday because I got a tip that when I left for only 3 hours all of her buddies came in and she gave them bunches of food for FREE!!!! I checked the camera and there it was! Handing them food right across the counter!! Just pisses me off! I will give anyone that is in need the shirt off my back but don't STEAL from me!! Mad
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they Get creative about it also, My partner( prior to me) had a girl manage the store for him, She would clean the walk in and have her husband take out the BAD food in a trash bag. Course it was whole chubs of lunchmeat, Cheese, ETC.

He installed cameras everywhere, "Case of a hold up" now everything is recorded, especially the register~! Very Happy It is looped onto a computer and can be accessed from the internet if need be. Cool

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
And they Get creative about it also, My partner( prior to me) had a girl manage the store for him, She would clean the walk in and have her husband take out the BAD food in a trash bag. Course it was whole chubs of lunchmeat, Cheese, ETC.

He installed cameras everywhere, "Case of a hold up" now everything is recorded, especially the register~! Very Happy It is looped onto a computer and can be accessed from the internet if need be. Cool

Ahh, the old "Throw it in the garbage and dig it out later" trick.
I have always had a 'Waste Sheet"posted so if anything got tossed into the trash, it would be listed, it had a space for "reason" delivery date, expiration date, and initials of the person that made the decision to toss it out.

A properly configured POS system would have caught the descrepencies real fast. It just takes a little input for estimated yield of a product that can be reconciled against the sales of the product.

I would inventory my spice pantry on a weekly basis, everything was done by weight. I used alot of saffron at the club, and that stuff is more expensive than Maui's best herbs!!
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another thing that worries me about opening a resturant...just managing stuff like this...just another reason a person should work under someone to learn this from someone...whether they are good at it or not, but at least have a little more knowledge...

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
School of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28 09 5:26 am    Post subject: Digital Cameras Reply with quote

I recently consulted for a upscale local restaurant over a 90 day period.
She had the whole place wired with cams. However, the one most important camera that looked at the back door was convienently broken. She did not bother to fix it either.
She had her son managing. All his friends were servers. He was buddy buddy and did not know the first thing about running a restaurant.
It was the most pathetic situation I have seen in a while.

If you think 100% family is the answer, you are wrong.

My time there:
I replaced 100% of the kitchen.
New menus.
New Managers.

after I left, owner still went back to bad habbits. She is now trying to sell the place. When I asked her why she even bothered with opening, she said "I thought it would be fun"

I have restaurants in my blood since I was 12. I still have not decided which concept I want. It amazes me how people who have all the money just blow it. Like they say. How to make a small fortune. Open a restaurant with a large fortune.
BobberQue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use black bags for garbage.. always use clear.... an employee will be more hesitant walking to the trash bin with pilphered items that are showing through the bag....
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobberQue wrote:
Never use black bags for garbage.. always use clear.... an employee will be more hesitant walking to the trash bin with pilphered items that are showing through the bag....

That is an interesting concept, but I have always advocated taking the entire container out to the dumpster so there would not be a trail of mung and miscellaneous whatnot left by the leaky bag.

I have always locked the dumpsters for a few reasons; to keep animals out such ad Coons, & Bears, to keep people from dumping tires and other hard to dispose of items in my dumpster, and to keep thieving employees from attempting the "disguise it in the garbage, and get it later" trick.

Obvious surveillance cameras will usually dissuade the morons from pilfering, but the ones they do not know about is what they get caught with 90% of the time. A small wireless wafer camera hidden in typical items such as clocks or vents does wonders to catch the craftier thieves.

And it just amazes on the stupid stuff people will try to steal sometimes. Do you actually think I won't notice 30 pounds of fryer shortening missing? really??
And the spice pantry/liquor room, Did that vanilla infused bourbon really taste that good right out of the bottle, warm!! Yuk!!
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One GOOD reason I stick to catering...been there done that with employees.. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: