FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Italian Sausage or hot links

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 2:32 pm    Post subject: Hot Italian Sausage or hot links Reply with quote

I've been asked about adding hot links to my menu.I've thought about it and would but around round here there I think a special order.I haven't had any since I lived down southeast so I'm not sure what they really are.Is this what I'm looking for? Hot Italian Sausage or is it something else?The ones I remember were a fat hot dog length, and a reddish color served with Q.And who carry's theses
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been asked about adding hot links to my menu

By who?

Vended or catered?

Good thread going on over at Marv's sausage fest BTW.........................

The reason I ask is that as you suspect the expectation may be different depending on where you live.

When I think "hot links" as you mentioned the artificially dyed bright red shizzle on a bun is what I think of.

No offense to those who like them, and if that's what they want find a source. Idea

Otherwise a good fresh (or fresh-frozen) Italian Hot would be the way to go (at least for me).
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down here in NC, there is a brand called Carolina Packer/Brightleaf Hot Dogs...these are the red hot dogs and all that I use at home and cook for a crowd if they want dogs on the side. Bright Leaf has an item called Red Hots...short, but yet fat and full of heat....grill them up, shove in a short hoggie roll and throw on some mustard and maybe some relish..that's good eats while tailgaitin', or if you are at the house, just some plane white loaf bread. But if I were to as a caterer if they did Red Hots, it would be a name specific request...not to leave anything to chance..

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Italian Sausage, wouldn't they be available at your grocery store. Question
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me hot links are not Italian sausage. Italian sausage is good on a roll with some peppers.

We use Hot links from Bar-s
[img]http://bar-s.com/bar-s-sausage-hot-links.html[/img]

They have them at Smart and Final here. Farmer John makes a lot of different ones but I can taste those a mile away. They have some kind of fake chemical taste to me. I went to a bbq place once and ordered hot links and within one bite knew what it was.

Those are about the only two brands I can get here in quantity. Actually don't get asked to to them that much.
New Braunfels El Dorado
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we can get Evergood Hot links from Sam's club (picture here) http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=195039

or Louisiana Brand Hot Links which are available most anywhere. Both are pretty good but I think the Louisiana Brand are hotter.

Just be careful cooking them as the skin gets tough if over cooked. They are already a fully cooked product (both mentioned above) so just need to be heated through before serving.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot links ( Texas hot links is what I am referring to)
Are completely different than an Italian sausage, the only things they would have in common is the casing.

A hotlink is very similar to what most northern people know as a smoked-polish sausage. they are similar in both procedure for making them, and the texture of the finished product.
Although a hotlink is made primarily from beef, It is then cured and smoked.
It has nothing to do with a hot-dog, the hotlink and a hot-dog are worlds apart.

An italian sausage is a fresh sausage (un-cured) that is made from 100% pork and has fennel as the main flavor note.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

Agreed, I was lucky to find a place around NJ, That made their own and supplied me with some of the best I have ever had, Now he is too far from me to bring into the raunt, But will have to find some one who can reproduce it.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

Agreed, I was lucky to find a place around NJ, That made their own and supplied me with some of the best I have ever had, Now he is too far from me to bring into the raunt, But will have to find some one who can reproduce it.

Since the catering season has slowed down, I have been delving into charcuterie quite a bit more deeply.
I have actually impressed myself (not easy to do) with the products I am able to produce at 1/5th the cost and at a much higher quality than most specialty shops have to offer.
I had a hankering for some Hot-links a few weeks back, I researched their origins, looked over several recipes and constructed a version of them that were nothing short of amazing in flavor, texture, and appearance.
it is a fairly simple recipe and process to do if you have the time and equipment to do it. Do you have a grinder in your place? I have plans on making a batch prior to thanksgiving, I can send you a few links to see if you like them, and share my recipe and technique too.
My upcoming projects will be producing a prosciutto and a few other dry-aged meat products at home.
I have already had requests to work with venison from a few buddies so I can make them cured venison sausages along with fresh sausages.
I like working with charcuterie so much, I am considering a change in career directions if the opportunity presents itself.
Very Happy Maybe I'll even relocate to the "tropical depression" so I can sell my products for $12/LB Very Happy
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great harry, is that something you can do from your garage without much intervention from the health authorities or do you need to work from a licensed and inspected facility?

Is there competition in your area??? State???? I know WI is famous for brats & Sausage but is most of it fresh or cured as you are looking to do??

For those that are not sure what you are referring to (charcuterie), you might want to put a link to a good explanation and move it up the the "sausage making" section.. You might get better responses from those that enjoy that sort of thing...charcuterie.

just a thought.
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie

Harry, I wanna get that book you were talking about.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 09 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harry I would be interested in the recipe for sure!
New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 books that I feel are mandatory for someone wanting to make cured sausages and meats at home are titled "Charcuterie" By Ruhlman & Polcyn,

And "great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas.

Both can be found on Amazon & eBay, they are hardcover books.

Marv. Sausage making needs to be done in a commercial setting with HD approval. About the only thing that can be done out of the home is candy and baked goods.
Kevan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14 09 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
Have you tried to make the duck breast prosciutto from the Ruhlman and Polcyn book yet? It looks so good on the cover.
Thanks.
Kevan
Kevan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14 09 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh Sorry Didnt mean to hijack Meant to pm Harry
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14 09 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevan wrote:
Harry,
Have you tried to make the duck breast prosciutto from the Ruhlman and Polcyn book yet? It looks so good on the cover.
Thanks.
Kevan

I have done the duck breast proscuitto at a restaurant many many years ago, and we have also done breseola at a few restaurants too.
They are friggin heavenly, and actually quite easy to do compared to other items.
Dry-aged meats are kind of "Set it & forget it" if you have the proper environmenal factors for aging.

Right now I am experimenting ewith different bacon flavorings, the garlic-fennel bacon I made was out of this world. I will be making more of that real soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: