FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much Are You Charging For Whole Hog?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 5:16 am    Post subject: How Much Are You Charging For Whole Hog? Reply with quote

I am currently paying $1.39-$1.49 for 70 pounders on up.

It involves a 25 mile drive each way and bridge tolls.

I've been charging $5.00 a pound and considering a jump to $6.00 ($5.00 seems way to cheap to me)

A 2x4 sheet of 1/2" plywood wrapped in foil as a serving platter is an additional $15.00.

Sauce is also additional.

Delivery with carving service adds another $100.00 in county, out of county incurs a fuel charge as well.

What are you charging?
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only guy in my area that I know who cooks hogs www.bobscatering.net/index2.asp $10 per person, 150 minimum.
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I am getting my 70 lbrs and up at .95 a lb, and my min for whole hog is 60 pple and I get a 90# hog, no head, and I charge $11 a head w/ two basic sides (gr beans/boiled potatoes) bread, tea.....Amazingly, we don't have alot of request for whole hog..they like bbq chicken/pork combo or some other stuff we offer.. So, we can stay at the $11 for now. The only time we add travel fee is if it is over 50 miles b/c we are out a ways from most cities...

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already at $6 and that's for drop off, It goes up from there.

But I only get about 6-8 now, Thinking it's the economy. But who knows

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$16.95 per person....no sides but prepped for self-serve
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:

How many have you sold at that price?
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a gage for you folks, but up here in the boonies I charge $15 pp., I've seen it in Vancouver, BC for $20 pp just the hog.. Shocked

Here we pay around $2 lb.. Mad
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of hog farmers in NC, so it's not surprising that whole hogs are much cheaper there.

BBQ Man, when you say $5/lb, how do you go about charging that? Do you quote per hog or per person (it's not as easy to hit a good per person # as it is with smaller cuts)?

I usually quote per person and offer ways to save money (smaller hog for presentation with trays of pulled pork, etc). For a standard pig roast with 2 sides, I'd be around $9-10 per person.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
There are a lot of hog farmers in NC, so it's not surprising that whole hogs are much cheaper there.

BBQ Man, when you say $5/lb, how do you go about charging that? Do you quote per hog or per person (it's not as easy to hit a good per person # as it is with smaller cuts)?

I usually quote per person and offer ways to save money (smaller hog for presentation with trays of pulled pork, etc). For a standard pig roast with 2 sides, I'd be around $9-10 per person.

This price was for whole hog ONLY (I already have a pig roast meal w/chicken and two sides for $12.95).

I offer whole hog only for budget oriented clients that want to do the rest themselves. 9 times out of 10 I'm cooking anyway, so the additional $$$ are a nice extra paycheck.

My rule of thumb is 1 pound uncooked feeds 1 person. Then I add an additional 10 pounds onto that figure as a safety.

I have a 60-70 pound minimum (smaller pigs cost more per pound, don't have much meat on them, and isn't profitable).

Unlike Corndog, I normally cook head on. My clients don't expect a "Headless Horseman" at their event! Razz
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that when you think of a pig roast in NC, it's different than much of the rest of the country. When you talk pork BBQ in NC, it's usually whole hog that's been minced from several different cuts off a single hog. Corndog, is that the way you guys do it or are you talking about a headless pig pickin'?

When I get a pig roast request, it's usually a pig pickin' they're after, which would include the presentation and the ability of the customers to pick the cut they want.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
marvsbbq wrote:

How many have you sold at that price?

Since I put it on my menu in 2009....3. But I am not trying to see how many I can sell.. Shocked If someone wants me to do this....this is my price for doing so...take it or leave it. Laughing
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa wrote:
Quote:
My guess is that when you think of a pig roast in NC, it's different than much of the rest of the country. When you talk pork BBQ in NC, it's usually whole hog that's been minced from several different cuts off a single hog. Corndog, is that the way you guys do it or are you talking about a headless pig pickin'?

When I get a pig roast request, it's usually a pig pickin' they're after, which would include the presentation and the ability of the customers to pick the cut they want.

The way I do mine is whole hog, head off, butterflied open, skin side down. I have the guests line up and come by the grill/table and they tell me what they want....loin, belly meat, shoulder, etc...most don't care and just say "whatever is good"...I just go in there w/ a gloved hand and knife,(the meat is smoking hot deep in the shoulder) grab a hand full of meat and place on their plate...this is what I concider a pig pickin'...I have seen those who scoop out the meat, chop, sauce, season and then place into pans, but I like the idea of my clients choosing their cut, thus the reason for all the parts of meat....It's how I grew up doing it and it has worked good so far for us.

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:
Since I put it on my menu in 2009....3. But I am not trying to see how many I can sell.. Shocked If someone wants me to do this....this is my price for doing so...take it or leave it. Laughing

At that price, I'm surprised you've sold any at all.

What do pay for whole hogs....$5.00/lb. or so?
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
marvsbbq wrote:

At that price, I'm surprised you've sold any at all.

What do pay for whole hogs....$5.00/lb. or so?

no, but for a average weight of 50 pounds is around $2.00 a pound.

I don't know what your time and equipment is worth but my time is worth more than $25.00 an hour...not to mention equipment and supplies to cook a whole hog for 10+ hrs.

But that is just me, you may feel differently about what your time is worth to you. Shocked
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We charge $10.00 per person with 2sides and $8.00 w/o sides
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Woody Smoke Shack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charge $7.00 per person min 40 people for the whole hog only served ready to eat no sides no server, but usually get sides and people want me to serve it.
Eat Here or we both Starve
smokinit
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100lber and under is $2.00 a pound my cost. Over 100 $1.69/lb so for a 100lber I charge round $600.00 delivered within 30miles or picked up. Service with no sides is an additional $100/hour

www.northeastprofessionalbbq.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Northeastprofessionalbbq
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think we should all look at this guys pricing, terms, and conditions including his "Cold Weather Surcharge" to get a good laugh at what some people are able to get away with.
Or even for some to try and incorporate into their scheme to make more money over in shysterville

http://www.eddiesportablepigout.com/pigroastpricing.htm

The laws of natue must not apply in Coxsuckie NY, becuase he is claiming that a 100 pound dressed pig will yield 60-70 pounds of cooked meat. Where do i get a whole pig with those high yields. I'll raise the damn things myself if I have to!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
And I think we should all look at this guys pricing, terms, and conditions including his "Cold Weather Surcharge" to get a good laugh at what some people are able to get away with.
Or even for some to try and incorporate into their scheme to make more money over in shysterville

The laws of natue must not apply in Coxsuckie NY, becuase he is claiming that a 100 pound dressed pig will yield 60-70 pounds of cooked meat. Where do i get a whole pig with those high yields. I'll raise the damn things myself if I have to!!

Well that is informative, funny, and shystery.

What do you charge for whole hog only?
smokinit
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

Wow were did I say that in my post?????

www.northeastprofessionalbbq.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Northeastprofessionalbbq
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: