FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 09 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
Just to make sure I keep the thread hijacking going! Very Happy

PitBully wrote:
It would be much easier to schedule OOC cupcake (DIV IIA) teams like most of the SEC does

Let's see what the 2008 preseason BCS strength of schedule looked like:

1. Georgia 1018
2. Vanderbilt 1004
5. Arkansas 975
7. Alabama 967
10. South Carolina 945
12. Tennessee 939
14. Mississippi 937
15. Florida 934
17. Auburn 926
29. Southern California 893

So, we had to get rid of half of the SEC lineup before we get to the USC with the weaker schedule? (the Gamecocks had a tougher row to hoe than you guys)

Southern Cal benefits from a weak schedule and you know it. The SEC has to schedule at least some weak spots in the lineup to get a breather from a breakneck schedule of tougher SEC opponents as opposed to the lightweight PAC 10 (also, many teams won't schedule stronger SEC opponents, so what are you going to do to fill in the schedule?).

I give USC credit for trying to schedule some better out of conference opponents, but you only have to do that b/c the PAC 10 should be dropped from the BCS if they can't get a better lineup than they currently have. Razz

Precisely...

I made some yesterday with tenderloin strips from a nice fat doe...most excellent.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 09 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
ortugger wrote:
Silly me.........I figured the discussion of sports teams would have fallen under the religion and politics ban on this sight.....seeing as the naked pagan drive for dominance and superiority in society is personified by the embracing of sports idols, and the most base expression of political/religious power in an impotent psyche would be to advance an athletic surrogate, then this must be a tell. Obviously the exaltation of athletic surrogates is the necessary compensation for bad BBQ... Perhaps some here need to get in touch with their "meat boiling" side.

So what you are trying to say here is that you use Lil' Smokies in your ABT's like the rest of us? Laughing

No, that's the sound of someone who got beaten up a lot when they were younger.

ortugger wrote:
the naked pagan drive for dominance and superiority in society is personified by the embracing of sports idols, and the most base expression of political/religious power in an impotent psyche would be to advance an athletic surrogate, then this must be a tell

I would say that the tell is that those with a physical impotence (lack of physical power) find it amusing to pooh pooh the time honored enjoyment of physical contest as mock battle amongst others. It's one way to moderate the wild animal that exists in all humans and is a legitimate expression of the primal portion of our nature.
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove quail pheasant duck and even backstrap. Man now i want to go and make some now and go hunting.

Slow Down and take the time to enjoy the good things in life.

1st build

2nd build
smokingmusic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 09 11:25 pm    Post subject: ABT's Reply with quote

While making a batch of ABT's the other day we ran out of pulled pork and came up with the idea of trying some with pineapple in place of the meat. B I N G O they came out great everybody wanted more of the ones with the pineapple in them. Next ABT batch will include plenty with pineapple. Give it a try, it sure as h*ll surprised us.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 09 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about the basics, what you have with an ABT is a very flavorful vegetable (pepper), a dairy fat (cream cheese), protein and seasoning (bacon) and usually some kind of filling, which is what we're talking about. I imagine that there are an almost infinite number of alternatives. If you use a very fatty piece of meat (like the sausage example), I would think you would want it cooked and rendered before you add it as a filling, but otherwise, just give them all a shot (meat, fruit and vegetable fillings alike).

Frankly, the salmon one intrigues me as I am a great lover of the combination of salmon and cream cheese. I'm a little ashamed that I've never tried it myself. Do you guys use it raw or do you use a pre-smoked salmon? I would imagine that the heat of cooking would cook the small amount of salmon in an ABT, but it's always better to learn from others' experience first.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04 09 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
I would say that the tell is that those with a physical impotence (lack of physical power) find it amusing to pooh pooh the time honored enjoyment of physical contest as mock battle amongst others. It's one way to moderate the wild animal that exists in all humans and is a legitimate expression of the primal portion of our nature.

So what you are trying to say here is that you use Lil' Smokies in your ABT's like the rest of us? Laughing

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: