FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$350 for a cord of cherry or apple a good deal? Seasoned
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevinoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 1:47 pm    Post subject: $350 for a cord of cherry or apple a good deal? Seasoned Reply with quote

and dry I am told.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so but I don't know where you live.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
thevinoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Western Washington state.

Do I understand you to say that you think $350 is NOT a good price for an entire cord of cherry or apple? Thanks.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in OR you can get 2 cords of oak for that if you shop around. need to know where you live at. if you have some orchards near by wait a few months and they will be trimming the trees in few months and you can get what you need for nearly free. $350 i would go buy a saw and learn how to use it. YMMV.
Remmy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350 is nuts.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevinoman
Is that split and delivered? Seems pretty fair considering You would have to drive and find it,buy it, cut it and haul it..

Id say its alot of money but pretty much the going rate.I have 3 acres of Apple wood I have to take down,The in-laws say take them out,they are putting in a bunch of New ones.So I will load up the saw and the truck and trailer and roll.
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what wood prices are like in your area, but I could get three cords of oak and/or hickory, delivered and stacked for that price in N GA.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea of the premium for apple or cherry...but around here you can get a pickup truck bed load (what's that...about 2'x4'x6'?) of oak delivered & stacked for $85-$95. A truck load is less than a cord, but still a good amount of splits.
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around Dallas, oak, hickory or pecan is about $100-125 a cord, split, seasoned and delivered.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an ad this morning for a pickup truck full of oak for $50. Florida

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
orangeblood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you plan to do a lot of smoking on a really big offset soon a cord is too much wood and $350 is too high anyway.

if the entire cord is split it will probably go from seasoned to dried out before you can use it. I usually buy a rick (4' by 8' by one row of the length of the stick) and ask that only half be split. As i get to needing the unsplit logs after a few months, i try and spilt them a few days before cooking.

just my $0.02.
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the northwest $350 is high. Usually you can find it around 175-225 around here split, seasoned, and delivered. We don't see much Oak here since not a whole lot of trees are around. And a cord of oak would probably be like a cord of fir, doesn't take many trees to make a cord. However it takes a lot fo apple and cherry trees to get a cord of wood,

I would check with a lot of the orchards in your area as season ends or early spring. They trim a lot of trees and have it lying around. I picked up a truckload of apple earlier this year for $75 u-haul of their cuttings. Took me a couple hours but was worth it, just had to saw and trim it up a bit, and now is drying for next summer.

I would pass at that price and look around and make some calls, might be surprised what you can find. This spring a buddy hit the jackpot on peach because an orchard was replacing a few acres of trees. They said you come and take them down to 3 feet above ground they are yours. Took him a couple weeks, but got 75 cords that he sold off and kept 8 for himself. It was funny for firewood he charged 125 a cord, but for cookers only $75. Said he hated seeing it go to waste for warming, that's what fir is for.
BBQ-DAWG
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: $350 for a cord of cherry or apple a good deal? Seasone Reply with quote

thevinoman wrote:
and dry I am told.
$55 dollars for 1/2 a cord of whatever you want here.
Lang hybrid 36
Weber kettle ranch
thevinoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yea guys, it's obvious that wood prices fluctuate based on where you are located. Here in my neck of the woods, outside Olympia, we are inundated with fir, and very little hardwood is available, and what is, is expensive. Most of the fruitwood is located in Eastern Washington, and is a lonnnnngggggg drive from here over the mountains.

I'm going to check around and see what might be available locally, and I'll probably pass on this deal right now. Thanks for all of your input.
kaizen-bbqer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with broncosmoker. See what an orchard can do for you. Last year I simply made a call to Tree Care Company and asked if they needed to get rid on any wood. They said yes and told me to come by. I did and was pleasantly surprised when I was told to “take whatever you need”. Within a few minutes I had more apple, sugar maple, red oak, pear, plum, and black walnut than I need for years to come!

All it cost me was enough gas for a 10-minute car ride. Its funny because that just happened to be the first company I called, I am sure they are all like that.

The old adage “One man's junk is another man's treasure” definitely applies when it comes to wood.
BBQ-DAWG
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosmoker wrote:
Living in the northwest $350 is high. Usually you can find it around 175-225 around here split, seasoned, and delivered. We don't see much Oak here since not a whole lot of trees are around. And a cord of oak would probably be like a cord of fir, doesn't take many trees to make a cord. However it takes a lot fo apple and cherry trees to get a cord of wood,

I would check with a lot of the orchards in your area as season ends or early spring. They trim a lot of trees and have it lying around. I picked up a truckload of apple earlier this year for $75 u-haul of their cuttings. Took me a couple hours but was worth it, just had to saw and trim it up a bit, and now is drying for next summer.

I would pass at that price and look around and make some calls, might be surprised what you can find. This spring a buddy hit the jackpot on peach because an orchard was replacing a few acres of trees. They said you come and take them down to 3 feet above ground they are yours. Took him a couple weeks, but got 75 cords that he sold off and kept 8 for himself. It was funny for firewood he charged 125 a cord, but for cookers only $75. Said he hated seeing it go to waste for warming, that's what fir is for.
Your avatar is intoxicating.
Lang hybrid 36
Weber kettle ranch
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevinoman wrote:
Well, yea guys, it's obvious that wood prices fluctuate based on where you are located. Here in my neck of the woods, outside Olympia, we are inundated with fir, and very little hardwood is available, and what is, is expensive. Most of the fruitwood is located in Eastern Washington, and is a lonnnnngggggg drive from here over the mountains.

I'm going to check around and see what might be available locally, and I'll probably pass on this deal right now. Thanks for all of your input.

you need to talk to marv if your in olympia. he buys a lot of maple. its not all that far to yakima, or you could come south to hood river.
i have cherry and apple from what i have scored on craigslist, just watch the "free" section. back in april a guy had a apple tree fallen in his yard then needed the wood cleared, guess what i cleared most of it(the stuff i wanted). go get yourself a chainsaw, it will pay off tenfold.
Remmy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to. Laughing
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remmy wrote:

Had to. Laughing

what the hell is that sticking out his azz? Laughing Laughing
thevinoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a chainsaw for 25 years, and I know how to use it!! So, watch out!!!

May I ask who Marv is? I would love to talk with him if he is in the area. Thanks.

Jim
Weber Silver B gas grill

Dreaming of a Lang.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: