FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Cookbook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke & Spice is probably my favorite.

2nd place would probably be Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book.

3rd place is Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures & Glazes
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coty,

All excellent choices! I've been using the BBG book lately and just love it!
SoCal John
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st - Raichlen's How to Grill
2nd - Mill's Peace, Love and Barbecue
3rd - Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book
22" Weber Kettle w/Rotisserie
Asador Cubano Pig Roaster
Lodge Sportsmens Grill
Smokey Joe Gold
Florida Pete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26 09 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just building my library but I love my Biscuits, Beans and BBQ. Its about the history of the Chuckwagon and cattle drives and the favorite cowboy recipes. I found it in the Lodge Store in Commerce, Ga.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14 09 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke and Spice.
Had it since 1995, and it shows.
Lost Texan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15 09 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too hard to say. I'm a bit of a collector when it comes to cookbooks. (this just means I have way too many).

Many of my books are subject specific, so there's no real comparison. I'm still really liking Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Meat. I regularly get inspiration from John Thorne's writing (check out Outlaw Cook) as well as the Joy of Cooking.

Just found out that Santa's bringing me:

Kitchen Pro Series: Guide to Meat Identification, Fabrication, and Utilization
http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Pro-Identification-Fabrication-Utilization/dp/1428319948/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Recipes-History-Jennifer-Mclagan/dp/0060585374/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient
http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Appreciation-Misunderstood-Ingredient-Recipes/dp/1580089356/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As far as BBQ specific goes, I like Raichlen's books as well as Robb Walsh's Texas BBQ Cookbook, and Smoke & Spice. Honorable mentions go to Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue, Backyard BBQ: The Art of Smokology, and Peace, Love, and BBQ.

UDS
GOSM
Chargriller Duo w/ Firebox Attachment
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 09 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought both Peace, Love & BBQ and Smoke & Spice.
To my surprise, got a $10 off promotion so my total cost including s&h was $19.81 Very Happy
Can't wait to read them. Alien yours is next.

Edit: BTW, that was from Amazon.com

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought several cookbooks with 30%- or 40%-off coupons at Border's. My favorite is Karen Putman's.

http://www.floweroftheflames.com/
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a little Christmas cash, so I just ordered the following.

1. Peace, Love & BBQ
2. Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book
3. Smoke and Spice

This ought to provide some reading material for the long cold days of winter Very Happy
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 10 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just got mine in last week. There is enough reading there to carry me through the winter. Laughing

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Smoke & Spice"...taught me the principles of BBQ, plain and simple.

Last edited by auto5man on Mon Jan 04 10 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
"Smoke & Spice"...taught me the principles of BBQ, plain and simple.

While i love Smoke and Spice and other books that the Jamison's have written it doesnt contain much info about fire management which i believe is the single most important aspect of cooking slow and low.
As a matter of fact there isnt a single cookbook out there that contains all of the different methods, ideas, and principles of that. Many books are cook books and simply filled with recipes and small tidbits of info here and there. Not that is a bad thing, but it is what it is IMO.
Cool
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Smoker,

You are right on the fire control, but I'll tell ya why I liked Smoke and Spice in particular. Knowing nothing about Que but wanting to duplicate what the mysterious pitmasters were doing, I bought "The BBQ Bible" by Steven Raichlen. I took the title at its word and was only frustrated when all I got was a book about direct grilling steak, chicken and fish. I was such a dummy I didn't even know that the recipes I was reading were not real BBQ, I mean the TITLE said it was, so...why couldn't I follow a recipe from the book and achieve a "pork sandwich" like those sold in my hometown?

In that sense, and being very green...BBQ was all a big MYSTERY to me, purchasing Smoke and Spice was a godsend. It actually described the principle (seems really simple now, lol) of low and slow indirect heat and smoke to render fat and connective tissue in a way that I finally GOT IT. Next I bought a cheap offset and my first effort was pulled pork that all who ate swore was the best they ever had. The principles (further mysteries) of fire control, smoke, moisture, various cooker styles/nuances, have been the fun part (sometimes even frustrating) for me and an ongoing challenge. I don't think a single volume could be large enough to cover all the nuances of fire control....I'm still learning!! Fire control is very different for every style of cooker, i.e., reverse flow vs offset vs brick pit vs UDS vs hybrid vs hole dug in the ground, etc., but once you GET the basic principle of what is involved to achieve real BBQ then you can intuitively figure out what it takes to get good results in very different cookers.

Havn't read Peace Love and BBQ yet but sounds like I should.

Last edited by auto5man on Mon Jan 04 10 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
Oregon Smoker,

You are right on the fire control, but I'll tell ya why I liked Smoke and Spice in particular. Knowing nothing about Que but wanting to duplicate what the mysterious pitmasters were doing, I bought "The BBQ Bible" by Steven Raichlen. I took the title at its word and was only frustrated when all I got was a book about direct grilling steak, chicken and fish. I was such a dummy I didn't even know that the recipes I was reading were not real BBQ, I mean the TITLE said it was, so...why couldn't I follow a recipe from the book and achieve a "pork sandwich" like those sold in my hometown?

In that sense, and being very green...BBQ was all a big MYSTERY to me, purchasing Smoke and Spice was a godsend. It actually described the principle (seems really simple now, lol) of low and slow indirect heat and smoke to render fat and connective tissue in a way that I finally GOT IT. Next I bought a cheap offset and my first effort was pulled pork that all who ate swore was the best they ever had. The principles (further mysteries) of fire control, smoke, moisture, various cooker styles/nuances, have been the fun part (sometimes even frustrating) for me and an ongoing challenge. I don't think a single volume could be large enough to cover all the nuances of fire control....I'm still learning!! Fire control is very different for every style of cooker, i.e., reverse flow vs offset vs brick pit vs UDS vs hybrid vs hole dug in the ground, etc., but once you GET the basic principle of what is involved to achieve real BBQ then you can intuitively figure out what it takes to get good results in very different cookers.

Havn't read Peace Love and BBQ yet but sounds like I should.

You are correct.
I did a spatch cocked chicken tonight on the weber kettle and had a bitch of a time with the fire due to the fact that i have been using my offset a whole bunch in the last few months cold smoking. I was so far off base to start with that it took 2x as long to get the fire to where i wanted it due to using the offset for smoking at such low temps.
I call Smoke+Spice my bible. I bought the book back in '96 and have used it very much ever since then and still use it everyday as a reference. Along with others. But i always go back to S+S. Anyways im rambling. Cool
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Smoker,

I know exactly what you mean. Having had excellent results on my cheapie offset during the summer many years ago, I was getting cocky and cooking for a large bunch (20-30 people) at my hunting club with the same cooker during the winter. The thin metal of my cheap cooker, powerful wind, etc., well my cook time DOUBLED which turned out to be disastrous, to put it mildly. It was so bad and people were so hungry, I think we had to order a bunch of pizzas (Horrors!!)...it doesn't get much worse than that! Needless to say, I learned a big lesson on the nuances of fire control and cooker variable that night...sigh.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 10 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
Oregon Smoker,

I know exactly what you mean. Having had excellent results on my cheapie offset during the summer many years ago, I was getting cocky and cooking for a large bunch (20-30 people) at my hunting club with the same cooker during the winter. The thin metal of my cheap cooker, powerful wind, etc., well my cook time DOUBLED which turned out to be disastrous, to put it mildly. It was so bad and people were so hungry, I think we had to order a bunch of pizzas (Horrors!!)...it doesn't get much worse than that! Needless to say, I learned a big lesson on the nuances of fire control and cooker variable that night...sigh.

It wasnt that bad, just delayed dinner by 30 minutes.
I have switched to using briquettes on my kettle and i am fresh out so i had to use lump which IMO is ok on a kettle. YMMV.
Fatboy Rider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05 10 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Chachere's cook book started me cooking, still some of the best game recipes I've found.
reesenik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06 10 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke and Spice is my favorite. I own 2 copies. One for out at the barbecues and one for in the kitchen.
My other favorite barbecue book is 'Smokestack Lightning. Adventures in The Heart of Barbecue Country' It's by Elie and Stewart. Not so much of a recipe book (although there are some in there) but mostly a good trip into barbecue and all that makes it great. Every time I read it I feel really good about Barbecue as an obsession (one of several for me).
Anybody out there read it?
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 11 10 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlaneSmoke wrote:
Dinosaur BBQ. Great recipes and rubs, especially for ribs and brisket

I second this. I almost need to order a new one, as there isn't much left holding the damn thing together. EVERYTHING that comes out of this book has been good, from the actual food recipes to basic starting blocks for rubs and sauces, to desert!
DennyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21 10 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to narrow it down to two books the first would be The Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue, and the second would be Cheryl and Bill Jamison's The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking and Entertaining. Between those two books just about everything I would ever cook(or aspire to cook) is covered..... well, except for fatties, ABT's and MOINK balls. Forums and other internet sites have such esoteric fare as that covered.

GrillPro Cabinet Smoker(mods)
Chargriller ProDeluxe(mods)
Uniflame 16" Kettle Grill
22" CKG(cheap kettle grill)
Brinkman gasser w/smoker box
Wood Burning Firepit/Smoker
Stovetop Smoker for sub-zero days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: