FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken Breasts - divide and conquer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17 09 8:11 am    Post subject: Chicken Breasts - divide and conquer? Reply with quote

I find that most whole chicken breasts are too large for service for one (approaching a pound). I tend to sell chicken pieces with a half breast (I cut the bone-in breasts in half). Of course, I explain this to a client if I'm selling it as part of a meal.

Am I the only one who does this or do you guys just buy smaller breasts? I've tried using the smaller breasts, but if it's a two meat meal, I've found that there's a lot of waste and it's expensive waste for the client (I'm not eating the cost, it's built in). I prefer to quote a reasonable portion size and keep the prices as low as possible.

Your thoughts?
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17 09 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm just doing breasts, I like to use the Tyson pre-sized 5 oz portions from Sam's. If I do whole chickens (which I prefer), I do the same as you -- half a breast.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17 09 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here as OT.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17 09 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Tyson's frozen? I've never seen them and I usually work with fresh only.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17 09 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are frozen but a very good product for those that want white meat only.

I also use them for most every pig roast that we do. They take on marinade readily and are easy to portion control.

I've also used them for chicken fajitas and chicken salad.

They also vend well.

For a chicken only meal we usually go with bone in quarters, mix of light and dark. And the breasts are so big that it requires whomever is serving them to cut them in half.
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh whole...bone-in.
Klose Offset
2 labradors
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We very rarely use only breasts. and when we do, I order random sized becuase they will be sliced for other items and whole size does not matter.

PTL, does your distributor offer smaller bone-in skin-on breasts at all? I agree that the normal "Grocery Store sized" breast are quite huge for a multiple meat menu. I do not know if I would want to cut throough a half breast to make it 2 portions becuase they would weep all their moisture out. I would speak to your sales rep. and see if they are able to get appropriately sized chix breasts for you, or look to other distributors for them. Worst case scenario, you may need to deal with a lead time to get an item that is not normally carried by them. I have had a few special order items through Sysco, and they eneded up carrying them becuase other places wanted those items too after the sales person let them know about the product.
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use whole split breast and usually cut in 2, even for chicken only meals. For chicken only the serving size is 1 breast, but I still cut in 2.

Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with them drying out, and do let them rest a while before cutting.

I've tried the smaller split breats from restaurant depot and have found them to be less desirable. Even though they are the perfect serving size, they have a much higher bone to meat ratio (skinny breasts). Good option for whole breast vending though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: