FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here we go boys and girls! First Brisket!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29 06 9:48 am    Post subject: Here we go boys and girls! First Brisket! Reply with quote

Well, here she is, my new Okie Joes Longhorn smoker and my first brisket. I started it kind of late so I pulled it a little early. Embarassed I know, I know, I should have waited another hour but, I was STARVING! Wink

CHRIS 1237
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29 06 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brisket look great! Very Happy
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29 06 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks REAL good

How do you guys here get such good pictures?
Im doing good if I can hold the camera still enough to not be blurry
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29 06 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Brad, sorry I missed it. My invitation got lost in the mail, I guess Confused Nice choice in sauce too...I love that stuff!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29 06 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them look like good eats!!!
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH......... I bruised my knuckles trying to reach through the monitir to get a slice......I can almost smell it Very Happy
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....nice looking meat Brad..............making me very hungry and VERY happy I am almost done for the day!!!!! I am thinking some que is on the way this weekend.
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad..you live in Texas, how would you rate your brisket? I'm going to fire up my Okie Joe on Sunday to season....did ya do any mods yet? If so..what? What kind of lump was that? Did ya like it? Any wood for smoke? Did you use a rub of your own, or store bought? Last I saw for brisket price in Seattle was 3.19 Shocked Shocked Shocked I know you're probably under 2.00 lb..Did you have any problems on the smoke session? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be ready for any thing I can! Cool Thanks, any knowhow is appreciated!! Wink
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice looking, bro. How much did that one weigh? I'm planing to try my first one very soon.
_

Last edited by BBQBLiTZ on Sun Feb 13 11 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
auto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikesooner wrote:
Brad..you live in Texas, how would you rate your brisket? I'm going to fire up my Okie Joe on Sunday to season....did ya do any mods yet? If so..what? What kind of lump was that? Did ya like it? Any wood for smoke? Did you use a rub of your own, or store bought? Last I saw for brisket price in Seattle was 3.19 Shocked Shocked Shocked I know you're probably under 2.00 lb..Did you have any problems on the smoke session? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be ready for any thing I can! Cool Thanks, any knowhow is appreciated!! Wink

Mike, I had no idea you were in Seattle, I was just up there a few weeks on business. Thinking about coming in September for the OU-Oregon game and to hit Pinot Country in Oregon Cool
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.live in the Bellevue(Bill Gates) area, kinda..what Saturday is that game..maybe if I could get a ticket...
auto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellevue is where I was at. I think it's the 3rd weekend in September. Soonerfans.com is the place to check.
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world sometimes Auto!! What do you do for business? I'm on OU Insider, and Soonersports.com most of the time. I don't remember if I've been to that site, I'll have to check it out. You'll have to let me know if you're around again, we can grab a few adult beverages orsomething. BOOMER SOONER!!
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01 06 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikesooner, I haven't done any mods to the smoker yet. I plan to fashion a length of metal that brings the exhaust stack closer to the grate level. Maybe rig up some sort of difusser for the heat. I'm going to pick up a Maverick ET 73 thermometer and forget about the thermometer that's mounted. It was about 50 degrees off. Other than that, I don't think I'll do much. The brisket weighed 9 pounds ($1.30 per pound. Very Happy) . I used Royal Oak lump that I picked up at Walmart for $5.27 for 10 pounds. Went through 2 bags or lump and on bag of Hickory chunks through out the smoke. I should have left it on about an hour longer and let rest for about 30 more minutes. Other than that it was great. The rub that I used was store bought from Academy Sports. It was called "Gordon's Grub Rub". I love my smoker. I will be using logs for smoke from now on though. The chunks that I can get ahold of are a little small and burn up really fast. I was throwing in chunks every 30 minutes or so. Good luck with the smoke! I know what you mean about the questions. Ask as many as you want. I'll answer all that I can.
MikeD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02 06 6:52 am    Post subject: Looks great! Reply with quote

Good job... Looks very juicy too...
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02 06 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking brisket Brad. And good choice for sauce too. Love that Stubbs.

Doc
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03 06 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad.got a late start on the assembly...was surprised at the small grate for the firebox..saw the lump you had for the brisket..did you use lump for the seasoning? I have a larger charcoal ring for my WSM..think the same amount wouldn't stay on that little grate..I'll work on that...glad you had a great cook!!
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03 06 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikesooner wrote:
Brad.got a late start on the assembly...was surprised at the small grate for the firebox..saw the lump you had for the brisket..did you use lump for the seasoning? I have a larger charcoal ring for my WSM..think the same amount wouldn't stay on that little grate..I'll work on that...glad you had a great cook!!

Yeah Mike, I did use lump for the seasoning. I had read about how people said that the charcoal grate needed to be put in as I have shown in my pics. It didn't work out that great for me. I changed it back to where it ran with the length of the firebox about halfway through the cook. It seemed to work better for me like that. To solve the ash build up under the coals I think I'm going to raise the grate with some fire bricks or something. I may even go buy and adjustable grate that I can widen and then place higher in the firebox....
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04 06 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad...think I'll try and find a charcoal "box", like a ring from the WSM.Yeah, some fire bricks may not be a bad idea!
Nate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04 06 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad

I see that you are using one of the grates that come with the smoker. I have the same smoker and if you take two of the lower grates from the smoking chamber and set them side by side in the firebox you will have one continuous grate for the fire. For me it works better that way.

You definately need to get the Mav 73. I have tried several gauges that fit the smoker and they were all off by 30-50 degress. Good Luck, I love my smoker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: