FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you (and staff if you have them) wear on the job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Bryant
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 10:02 am    Post subject: What do you (and staff if you have them) wear on the job? Reply with quote

We hit on some of this in the other thread but SoEzzy suggested a new thread without the tangent.

What type of attire do you wear on a catering job? How about your staff (if you have them)

Does it change based on the event?

Do you think it matters much?

Any other thoughts on the subject?

Much thanks.

J
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhere in the middle. No chef coats and no AC/DC t-shirts.

My "dress code" changes depending on the events. If I'm doing a wedding or Christmas party, my staff and I will wear black slacks, a white shirt and a black apron (not matching but coordinated). If the event is causal we will wear matching company t-shirts (red with logo on the chest) and nice blue jeans or shorts. If I'm vending we will also wear the matching T's (hats are OK for vending). While I'm cooking for any event (before the guest arrive) I will be dressed casual.

Rob
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like to wear a black chef's coat sometimes, but even then I like the simple styles myself--nothing too fancy. I also wear a black ball cap with our logo and usually either dark "Dockers" style pants, nice blue jeans or even nice shorts.

Like BBQMan though, it gets as hot as the devil's ass in NC sometimes and on those occasions, I opt for a nice button down black or denim (I have both) short-sleeve shirt that also has my logo on the breast. I keep extra ones with me so I have a clean shirt for serving time.

I think as with all things business you have to learn to read your customers and then present yourself in the way they most want to see you. If I'm serving a very laid back, "down home", country crowd, it will be blue jeans and a ball cap just about every time, because that usually makes them feel most comfortable. If I'm doing a wedding reception, I usually go with the jacket so that I blend well with the wedding party guests a little better
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wear jeans or shorts, dark blue polo shirts with bright yellow embroidered logo, matching ball caps with same logo, and denim aprons for most gigs.

Weddings that are more formal (a rarity) black slacks and white shirts, black aprons, black shoes (I prefer my Redwing sneaker style for standing all day).

It's hot here in the summer, and temperate in the winter.

Neat and clean appearance is what we strive for (and achieve).

I don't discuss piercings or other personal issues unless the crew looks like a facial pin-cushion. Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

For larger parties, we use a standard dress code for all of the additional crew we need to hire- cheap yet effective:

milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
We wear jeans or shorts, dark blue polo shirts with bright yellow embroidered logo, matching ball caps with same logo, and denim aprons for most gigs.

Weddings that are more formal (a rarity) black slacks and white shirts, black aprons, black shoes (I prefer my Redwing sneaker style for standing all day).

It's hot here in the summer, and temperate in the winter.

Neat and clean appearance is what we strive for (and achieve).

I don't discuss piercings or other personal issues unless the crew looks like a facial pin-cushion. Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

For larger parties, we use a standard dress code for all of the additional crew we need to hire- cheap yet effective:

Like your new dress code, do they come in XXXXXL?
Castaway Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to set my self apart from the group being served. So while we do not have "uniforms" we do dress in a theme. We wear khaki pants or shorts, and the loudest tropical shirts we can find. While we strive to serve great food, we also set an atmoshere that is fun and carefree, while still professionally handling the task at hand.
Oh yeah, BBQMAN thats WRONG Twisted Evil , in a good way.

Tucker Cooker
CG w/SFB and mods
6 concrete blocks and the grate from the fridge
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wear black pants (shorts are approved in summer) and our company T-shirts with the logo on left chest and name and such across the back. We also wear company (black) aprons with our logo on the front.

We do take extra aprons so if/when some get dirty, we can change before serving.

We use to all wear the tropical (Hawaiian) shirts but not every event is geared for that. Where as the black fits into every event.

I have found (from my experience) that people don't hire a BBQ caterer because they want a "fancy smancy" event. They hire a BBQ caterer because they want CASUAL event....99% of the time.

I am "considering" a black chef's coat for events that I feel would make a "better impression" of my company to wear one....The Wal-Mart bag just ain't gonna cut it though Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my uniform.

Castaway Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 09 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American West OK, I've heard the sound a semi truck makes when it blows a tire..........I can only imagine the sound THAT made Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Tucker Cooker
CG w/SFB and mods
6 concrete blocks and the grate from the fridge
Grnmtn BBQ Chef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 09 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is all part of the show. My staff wears black and white and they look professional. I am working on matching aprons, but for now they are black. I am one of those who wear the crazy Chef pants and different colored jackets. For themes parties we dress in the fashion the client would like to see anywhere from real red neck bibs, to houla shirts depending on what they want. We have even done one where it was come as your favorite Saturday night live character. For my target market, this is what they are looking for. Prep time and pre party serving line action tee shirts are fine, but when the guest arrive it is on with the uniform.

The Walmart uniform... just something not right there. LOL!

Meadow Creek PR72T modified adding a 2nd Meadow Creek PR 60 this week and 2 well loved Red Rivers going into retirement
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 09 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the new black chefs coat with the black mesh in the back for ventilation. I tried the mesh in the front but at 300 lbs, I didn't have a whole lot of customers..... maybe it was the thong?? Shocked
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 09 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
I personally like the new black chefs coat with the black mesh in the back for ventilation. I tried the mesh in the front but at 300 lbs, I didn't have a whole lot of customers..... maybe it was the thong?? Shocked

The mental visual is bad enough Alien, I hope to hell you NEVER post a picture of that.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 09 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American West wrote:
This is my uniform.

marv its probably something like this. Shocked Shocked
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 09 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black slacks
Black shoes
White embroidered long sleeve button down shirts (cooler weather)
White embroidered polo short sleeve shirts (warmer weather)

I wear a black T type shirt and apron and at serving time I remove the apron and put on a white embroidered chefs coat
Weber Kettle
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 09 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooks and I wear black chef coats, the sleeve length can be either long or short during prep time, but once the client and guests are present, we all go to long sleeved black chef coats with the cuff's and collars turned out. The cooks do not wear aprons Those are for servers only.

The serving crew and the runner (if needed) wear Black pants ,shoes, & socks, with white button-front shirts and either a black bib-apron for formal service, or flameprint bib-aprons with pockets for carrying extra utensils, mints and hard candies to be given to the guests for more casual events.

We do not use a full crew all day, it usually starts out with just me, then around noon'ish or later, I have maybe one or two cooks show up (depending on the complexity of the menu), and 2 hours before serve time the serve people show up to get the serve line together, finish with any prep or decorating the tabes with skirts and cloths, chafer frames, and all the other needed items.

One hour before serve time we go through our game plan on the backside of the trailer to choose who is carving, serving, or running, and discuss where and how the back-up pans of food are, and how to replenish the line, alog with appropriate serving sizes and all the other Misc. BS to make serving as stress-free, efficient and as professional as possible.
After service we all clean up together, pack the trailer, and police our area to make sure we left it in the same shape or better then when we arrived.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25 09 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take everyone with me that I will need for the event. So if we have to be on site at 6 AM for a noon serving, we are ALL on site at 6 AM. Everyone helps set up for serving and prep. Everything needed for each particular event is removed from the truck and set up right after arrival.

I pre-plan the event on paper so I know what each one is doing (or supposed to be doing) at any given time.

We do have some down time (breaks) where we can all sit down and "take a load off" and I can answer any questions anyone might have....they always do.

After the event everyone pitches in to load it all back in the truck (they set it outside the truck and I load it....have places for everything.

We then all go back to my shop where everything is cleaned and restocked. THEN I pay each one and let them go their merry way.

Sometimes if leftover food was brought back I will divided it up with anyone who wants it to take home.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25 09 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ware the logo shirts, aprons & caps.
But....
For those that ware the Chef`s attire where do you purchase these uniforms?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25 09 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25 09 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
We ware the logo shirts, aprons & caps.
But....
For those that ware the Chef`s attire where do you purchase these uniforms?

www.chefwear.com and www.chefworks.com are a few of the several places on the web tha you can purcahse from.

Chefworks has gotten uber expensive since they are exclusive on Hells Kitchen.
Chef wear has gotten a little higher now too since logo'd items are drawing more coin lately.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26 09 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
The cooks and I wear black chef coats, the sleeve length can be either long or short during prep time, but once the client and guests are present, we all go to long sleeved black chef coats with the cuff's and collars turned out. The cooks do not wear aprons Those are for servers only.

The serving crew and the runner (if needed) wear Black pants ,shoes, & socks, with white button-front shirts and either a black bib-apron for formal service, or flameprint bib-aprons with pockets for carrying extra utensils, mints and hard candies to be given to the guests for more casual events.

We do not use a full crew all day, it usually starts out with just me, then around noon'ish or later, I have maybe one or two cooks show up (depending on the complexity of the menu), and 2 hours before serve time the serve people show up to get the serve line together, finish with any prep or decorating the tabes with skirts and cloths, chafer frames, and all the other needed items.

One hour before serve time we go through our game plan on the backside of the trailer to choose who is carving, serving, or running, and discuss where and how the back-up pans of food are, and how to replenish the line, alog with appropriate serving sizes and all the other Misc. BS to make serving as stress-free, efficient and as professional as possible.
After service we all clean up together, pack the trailer, and police our area to make sure we left it in the same shape or better then when we arrived.

Harry, for all this "stringent" dress code for yourself and your employees to make your self (company) appear more professional to your clients and their guests, from another post you made, I read that you pretty much use the wire chaffing racks with disposable pans. Like a lot of others here use..

I was just wondering, if you are going all out on the attire, why not the way you serve the food too?? :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: