FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien Bolo Ready and TESTED
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 6:49 am    Post subject: Alien Bolo Ready and TESTED Reply with quote

Well here is Alien Bolo version #3. This version is a culmination of all of your inputs. It is 26 inches long, with a 10 inch handle. The 302 stainless blade runs the entire length of the Bolo and is secured in a 1 Ĺ inch thick red oak handle with 5 -brass screws into steel inserts with marine epoxy sealing the edges. The Bolo is finished off with polyurethane on the form fitted handle and a slip resistant finish on the steel to lessen the chance of your meat sliding off the blade. The 4 inch wide blade has a honed end for getting up under the meat and a slightly springed curve to allow picking up larger pieces of meat. When you pick up a roast or slab, the blade initially flexes flat to lessen the chance of the meat sliding off the end. The blade tapers in a triangular pattern similar to the WWI Marine Corps Bolo (entrenching knife). While the leading edge is not sharpened, an edge can be put on the Bolo (see your local lawnmower repair shop). Putting an edge on this bolo makes this a sword due to its length. My insurance adviser makes me state ďThis BBQ tool is not a toy and should be used as a cooking instrument. Any modifications by the end user are against the manufactures suggestion and the end user is totally responsible for any and all injuries or property damage suffered by such modifications.Ē In other words ex. (if you sharpen this, and then cut your fingers off because you did not move you other hand fast enough, donít blame me.) I will offer a 30 day return against workmanship and a 7 day money back guarantee (except for mailing) if you are not satisfied when it arrives. Keep in mind that these are handmade and no two are alike, there may be some minor imperfections because this is not a production tool and quality control is my sense of perfection. I want you guys to be happy with this tool, but if you use it like I do, youíre going to beat the snot out of it. One last thing on the use of the Bolo, it is not a paddle and should not be used as one. The end does have honed end and will slice skin. My kids saw the blanks sitting on my bench before I started working on them and I stopped them from doing what comes natural between an older and younger brother.

With the added length, handle, and hardware, the price on the Alien Bolo will be $120 dollars (new price as of Nov 2007). If you want one, email me at alien_barbecue@yahoo.com and place your order. It takes me about 6 hours start to finish (over a period of 4 days) making one of these and there is a list of people who want one. I donít do this for a living, so I will let you know when yours is coming up. Donít send me a check until I notify you. I will put some up on EBAY if you want to use a credit card and I will be talking to Gary about becoming a sponsor here on the site. One last thing, I am only going to make enough to fill the orders I anticipate from this web site. I enjoy making things like this for my friends, of which I count all of you. If you would post a messege here when you email me, I will respond right away.

Last edited by Alien BBQ on Mon Dec 31 07 7:40 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you an email. Let me know if you have not received it.

Gonna have to get me a loin cloth and strap that baby on. "Me cook big meat!"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, this looks great! Can't wait to get mine and put it to good use! Very Happy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope all you guys that wanted one are signing up. Let's keep Alien busy! Very Happy
dabaslab
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent and can't hardly wait.

Very Happy Very Happy
Dabaslab
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:21 pm    Post subject: Bolo Reply with quote

I place my order this AM.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the pre-order list I have from the fall. If you are still interested in obtaining a Alien BBQ Bolo, please send me a email ( alien_barbeque@yahoo.com ) confirming that you still want one. (If you havenít already since Monday.) I have gone over my emails and some have disappeared, so if your name is not on the list please forgive me. The price for you guys is $73 for the competition model and they will arrive in a triangular priority mail box. So keep an eye out for them once I have confirmed your order. The numbers are random (except for 2) and I will sign and number these on the handles before I polyurethane the handle.
Michael Oí

1. Okiejay - Requested this number
2. Going to Rio Rancho for Demo
3. Doc 1680
5. Steve-0
6. Krazylegs
7. SmokinOkie - Requested this number
8. Dabaslab
9. Allsmokenofire
10. BBQMan
11. KickassBBQ
12. JeffT
13. SmokinLA
14. Dholcomb1946
17. Mding38926 - Requested this number

Last edited by Alien BBQ on Thu Mar 16 06 12:34 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance but....what is a Bolo? From the context I assume it is a souped up spatula/machete type thing. ( looks like a bush axe I have used clearing some brush, but I wouldnt use one of those on good meat Smile )
Flex Coat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! How heavy is the bolo?

Flex Coat
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be sending you the confirmation this afternoon Alien............just doing the good husband thing and making sure I won't get whacked by the wife for not running it by her first.............just a formality, but a rule we have come up with to make sure that we spend money smartly and don't argue over money.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head. This souped up spatula thingy is modeled after the WWI Marine Corp Bolo Machete (entrenching knife) I came up with its design after trying to move briskets and pork butts in one piece in the Pit Master University classes I teach. Due to it length, shape and material, it allows you to move larger cuts of meat in the pit around with more ease. It also makes a great ash cleanout tool, dampener banger; grill cleaner, grate mover and the list goes on. Finally no one criticizes your cooking with one of these in your hand.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mding38926 wrote:
Should be sending you the confirmation this afternoon Alien............just doing the good husband thing and making sure I won't get whacked by the wife for not running it by her first.............just a formality, but a rule we have come up with to make sure that we spend money smartly and don't argue over money.

I know what you mean, I would hate to see this used on you!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex Coat wrote:
Nice! How heavy is the bolo?

Flex Coat

Good question, I am going to guess and say 3 lbs. I will weigh it tonight on a scale.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
mding38926 wrote:

I know what you mean, I would hate to see this used on you!

You and me both.............
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien...can I save on shipping costs and pick mine up this weekend?? Laughing
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem, I will bring Oki's also.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien........confirmation email is on the way........lol....all the trouble of asking the wife's approval and I get a whatever for an answer...........any chance of requesting #17? If not no big deal..........
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put you down for that number.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much. Looking forward to using it.

Mike
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Alien! That looks fantastic. I'm very impressed. $73 dollars is an excellent price. Hope you sell a bunch! I'll try and convince my little woman that I need one. Wish me luck! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: