FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying a New menu Item

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef_hog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 5:22 am    Post subject: Trying a New menu Item Reply with quote

"Pig n a Biscuit

Here is what I'm doing
2 Pillsbury Frozen Biscuits
3 oz Pulled Pork (leftover)
2 Tbls BBQ Sauce
Egg Wash

Allow the biscuits to thaw sprinkle flour on board and roll out the biscuits until they are 4"-41/2"
Mix Pulled Pork with BBQ sauce and place in the center of the rolled out biscuit egg wash the edge. Cover with the 2nd biscuit pressing the edges together with a fork.

Egg Wash the top Biscuit and place on a grease sheet pan. Bake in 400 degree F Pre heated oven for 16 - 20 minutes. Remove when golden brown, allow to cool for a few minutes and serve with favorite BBQ sauce.

What do you think????

Tried several test with this and they came out great so I'm going to see what the customer think this weekend
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do something similar at home for the family. They are good. As I'm sure you know the biggest problem will be getting your customers to try it.

Best of luck,
Rob
Tek465

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work great.

I've had something similar in Asian markets called BBQ pork buns. They always sell out in a hurry. I imagine you could make something like it using Rhodes rolls.

Also something easy to try from east meets west cuisine. Try making BBQ lettuce wraps. Also very good.

http://www.thekneadforbread.com/2008/01/19/bbq-pork-buns/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu_baau
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get a similar product with a little less work if you use the crescent-roll dough in a can. it is already rolled out, but in triangular form saving you one step of the process and a dough that seems to be a bit more palatable for some people
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King's BBQ in Kinston, NC does something remotely similar.

They cook up an oversized hushpuppy, slice it open, and fill it with Q.

What do they call it?

You guessed it.

A "Pig in a Puppy"
chef_hog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea was to go with a traditional food with a twist and since southern buttermilk biscuits are very traditional and BBQ is a true southern item then doing the combination should work because the customer know what each taste like. I plan on handing out samples to customers today and see what the reaction is.

Harry, While the cresent dough would work and save some time I don't think the flavor profile is the same. I was also thinking that a lower priced item would help to drive sales because it is hand held easy to eat on the road and a familiar food.

Cape I have a friend that lives in NC and she raves about the pig in a puppie so I hoping that this will become a signature item for my set up.
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the Pig in a Puppie the other week, and it's pretty good...funny looking, but good..

Your recipe sounds good too and I'll try the pork lettus wrap also...sounds interesting...

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made something like this awhile ago took cresent rools leftover pulled pork and chicken I rolled out the dough with a glass to mke bigger filled with pork or chicken added a little shredded cheese folded um up in the oven 20 min 390 dgrs had some head country dipping sauce came out terrific need to make more next time went way to fast oh almost forgot I sprinkled a little taco seasoning on b4 rolled up
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: