FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wedding Cancelation- What Would You Do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angio333
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 09 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kepp the amount that covered my costs and give the rest back due to the situation.
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 09 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised at the responses to this thread. Given the info provided, my first response would be keep the deposit (no refund). Here are the reasons for my answer. My deposit is very low ($50, so basically if I keep my deposit I'm keeping about the same as BBQMAN). The cancellation is 2-3 weeks out during the busy season (BBQMAN's busy season) and we don't know if potential jobs were lost due to having this date already booked. What are the chances of filling this date with another job? Finally, what are deposits for? They are to somewhat insure us from cancellations. The reason for the cancellation was problems with the bride and groom. I do have sympathy for the mother with cancer, but that has nothing to due with this issue at hand.

Like I said this is my thoughts given the info provided. I am not saying BBQMAN is wrong. Hopefully it was the right decision and all works out for the best.

Just to play devil's advocate, will word get out that your deposits don't mean anything and could this lead to more cancellations?

Rob
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 09 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised at the responses to this thread. Given the info provided, my first response would be keep the deposit (no refund). Here are the reasons for my answer. My deposit is very low ($50, so basically if I keep my deposit I'm keeping about the same as BBQMAN). The cancellation is 2-3 weeks out during the busy season (BBQMAN's busy season) and we don't know if potential jobs were lost due to having this date already booked. What are the chances of filling this date with another job? Finally, what are deposits for? They are to somewhat insure us from cancellations. The reason for the cancellation was problems with the bride and groom. I do have sympathy for the mother with cancer, but that has nothing to due with this issue at hand.

Like I said this is my thoughts given the info provided. I am not saying BBQMAN is wrong. Hopefully it was the right decision and all works out for the best.

Just to play devil's advocate, will word get out that your deposits don't mean anything and could this lead to more cancellations?

Rob
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 09 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Rob, and certainly agree with you.

G has had the same thing happen a while back, I believe the title was "should we expect this more frequently" or something along those lines................... http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24223

It does hurt my season, and I've had a few others that said they wanted to book then dragged their feet so long (without giving me a deposit) that I knew the job wasn't going to come thru.

This has been a tough year for us even as an established business, and yes losing (any) date is a huge loss.

My reputation has kept us in business even in hard times, so I'm fortunate that my approach works most times.

I did what I thought was right for me, I'm OK that some of you would have done differently! Very Happy
miked.bbq

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 09 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a good man. I was waiting to see what you would do. I believe you should get paid for your drive up there. but I know how things work for me. Anytime things in my past got ugly and I stuck to my guns even knowing I was being a jerk about it. The next time I did a job nothing went right,everything was a disaster.(cold rain, wind ,food not ready on time, MUD (YUCK!!!!) Mad . The customer was not understanding, ect.ect.) I strongly believe the man upstairs will make you pay for treating people bad. I know it's a business and you can't let people walk on you, but good things will come to you for this one. SLEEP TIGHT Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Wink's Smokehouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 09 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, well said Marv. Your wording is the best approach to problems like this. Wink
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07 09 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on how this turned out:

Evidently the mother of the brides family was coming into town one way or the other (their flights were booked, some from out of the country) and either way wanted to see her.

So the wedding turned into a "celebration of life" party, and we did the pig anyway.

Met a lot of really great people, and the husband just happens to manage a very large corporate venture that plans to hire us for their Fall auction. This party is for 300 or so people, with the idea evidently to get the crowd liquored up and fed well so they bid higher on the items available.

This came out as a winner for everyone involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: