FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick 2 meats from a choice of 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
browe
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 09 11:33 am    Post subject: Pick 2 meats from a choice of 3 Reply with quote

I have a customer that wants to serve dinner to 80 people. He wants to give them a choice of chicken quarters, pulled pork, and brisket. He wants to let them choose 2 of the 3 meats. I've basically told him everyone is not going to be able to choose the same meat (all chicken for example).

How would you properly calculate the amount of food to cook for this?
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 09 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put.....I don't.

I tell the client that IF we run out of one of the items it not only makes THEM look bad but it makes ME look bad also and neither of us want that. This explaination is usually enough to get them to go with enough meat of each kind for their guests....in this case 80.

So I would have 80 servings of each meat.

For this, I would figure on 2-3 ounces of each meat per guest and I would PROBABLY have some left overs.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 09 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Marv.

The brisket and pork will usually go first.

Sounds like the client wants a three meat meal for the price of two!? Confused

Problem with that is it's still a three meat meal, with the extra work and expense involved.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 09 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make enough of each meat for every guest and charge them accordingly. otherwise you are opening yourself up to a nighmare during serve time.

marv suggested you could tell the guests the host only ordered ths much of each and running out is the host's faut and not yours.
But the host is the one paying the bill, and I do not think they would appreciate the badmouthing from the caterer making them look bad in front of his guests. That would be a real easy way to mouth yourslef out of a tip or a re-hire for another event. but if your worried about that happening, then you could just make your tip mandatory, then you get it no matter how bad the service was.

the only way I see his 'Choice of two" idea is going to work is if their choice is pre-ordered so you know how much of each item to cook, and then have your servers plate each meal and deliver it to the tables that have placemarkers that show their choice.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 09 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I would make enough of each meat for every guest and charge them accordingly. otherwise you are opening yourself up to a nighmare during serve time.

marv suggested you could tell the guests the host only ordered ths much of each and running out is the host's faut and not yours.
But the host is the one paying the bill, and I do not think they would appreciate the badmouthing from the caterer making them look bad in front of his guests.
That would be a real easy way to mouth yourslef out of a tip or a re-hire for another event. but if your worried about that happening, then you could just make your tip mandatory, then you get it no matter how bad the service was.

the only way I see his 'Choice of two" idea is going to work is if their choice is pre-ordered so you know how much of each item to cook, and then have your servers plate each meal and deliver it to the tables that have placemarkers that show their choice.

Well, it all depends on how you word it Harry...In this business a lot depends on a "tactful approach" this would be one of those times.. Wink

On Harry's suggestion about the "pre-order", you could also have the host have a list of names and what they "pre-ordered". Then as they come through the line, their name can be checked off and served what they ordered. This would eliminate the need for servers at the tables.

This would require some work (effort) on the host though...most would not want to go to the trouble (effort).
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 09 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

marvsbbq wrote:
Well, it all depends on how you word it Harry...In this business a lot depends on a "tactful approach" this would be one of those times..

I've come to the realization if I accept a job knowing full well the servings are “off” and I might or will probably run out of a particular item, I need to just deal with it and not blame anyone...
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 09 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddThomas wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

marvsbbq wrote:
Well, it all depends on how you word it Harry...In this business a lot depends on a "tactful approach" this would be one of those times..

I've come to the realization if I accept a job knowing full well the servings are “off” and I might or will probably run out of a particular item, I need to just deal with it and not blame anyone...

That is all well and good Mike, but what happens when the guests ask "do you have anymore of this?" or "how come you are out of that?" ORRRR like happened to my wife at a wedding where a guest actually THREW his plate at her because we were out of food due to the host/hostess not ordering properly....Would you just stand there and "Grin and Bear it"?? Shocked Shocked
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 09 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how did you handle that situation?

marvsbbq wrote:
ORRRR like happened to my wife at a wedding where a guest actually THREW his plate at her because we were out of food due to the host/hostess not ordering properly....Would you just stand there and "Grin and Bear it"?? Shocked Shocked

New Braunfels El Dorado
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 09 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingconsulting wrote:
And how did you handle that situation?

marvsbbq wrote:
ORRRR like happened to my wife at a wedding where a guest actually THREW his plate at her because we were out of food due to the host/hostess not ordering properly....Would you just stand there and "Grin and Bear it"?? Shocked Shocked

I was not there to see the actual event of "throwing the plate" and she and the rest of my crew would not point him out to me...I can tell you this, I was FURIOUS. I can not say what I would have done because at this point it is just talk.

That whole story is on another thread posted in 2007.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 09 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked I was thinking about what I would do if that happened to my wife. I'm not a hot head that way but when you do something to my family I'm sure my response would not have been "professional" for sure.
New Braunfels El Dorado
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: