FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time ribs & tenderloin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workaholic

PostPosted: Feb 01 2009    Post subject: First time ribs & tenderloin Reply with quote

The topic says it all...
Tomorrow will be my first time doing ribs, and tenderloin. I'll be asking the kids for their camera, so I can eventually get pics posted.
The wife went by the commissary yesterday, and made the mistake of asking if I wanted anything. Laughing I told her I wanted some ribs, some tenderloins, chicken, and sausage. She forgot the sausage and chicken. Sad
But, on the bright side, I have something like 12# of country style ribs and like 8# of tenderloin, and a huge package of thick sliced hickory bacon that are finishing thawing out in the fridge.
I'm thinking a light coat of mustard on the ribs, with some sort of rub the wife bought- Grillmate's Montreal Grinder. The tenderloin will be rubbed with a different rub (it's actually named "roasting rub") and bacon wrapped. She even was nice enough to get me apple juice for my cook tomorrow Smile

I read through four pages of topics about ribs that the search brought up, and am confused, so I have a few questions:

1. What is this membrane I keep reading about?
2. Is it something I need to deal with on country style ribs?

I think that is all for now.... Any assistance will be greatly appreciated....
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 01 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country-style ribs won't have a membrane to worry about. Sounds like a feast...looking forward to the pics!
Workaholic

Thanks, allsmokenofire. am hoping they turn out good... I should have specified that it is not my intent for this to all be for one meal. Am hoping to have left over ribs for lunch on monday, and have pulled pork from one of the tenderloins for supper either monday or tuesday, (although i don't think the wifey bought any slaw). hopefully i'll have enough leftovers to last most of the week, but since the kids are all teenagers, i doubt it'll survive that long.

is there anything specific i should do when using mustard on the ribs? should i cut it with perhaps honey, or something?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

You won't(hopefully) get any pulled pork from those tenderloins. They are not the right cut of meat to use for pulling. I would recommend you not take the tenderloins over 150*ish internal temp.

You can probably take the country-style ribs high enough to pull, if they are from the shoulder(i.e. sliced from the butt section of the shoulder). You'll want to get to an internal temp of 200*ish on those to get them to pull. If you take the ribs to 180*ish, they eat better, IMO, and you can always chop some of them up for a chopped pork sandwich.

As far as mustard goes, you can leave it plain or doctor it up. Keep in mind though that any sugars you add to it may have a tendency to burn over an extended cooking period.

Most of all, just have fun with it...
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

Give these a gander and see if they can help you along in your Q Quest!
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13715&highlight=country
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10548&highlight=country
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7762&highlight=country
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12778&highlight=loin
Workaholic

PostPosted: Feb 02 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was the big day... after an unexpected run to KMart, to get more charcoal, i finally got started, late as crap. prep time was longer than i expected, but, these things happen. being my first time doing anything but a marinade the night before, i didn't think to factor in any time for rub, etc.

Side note... KMart (at least the one here) carries RO lump (but of course they were out). so, RO briquettes was the flavor of the day. The gentleman working back in that area said that Winn Dixie carried a lump Nature's something, i'm thinking nature's own, but didn't investigate due to my needing to get the grill going, and didn't want to spend the time to stop at another store.

Yesterday was filled with minor frustrations. The charcoal didn't want to light off right (i think the bag i had in storage sucked up some humidity). used a variation of the minion method on my grate. (i wonder if i should have used more charcoal on the grate, will have to try that next time) dumped the coals on there. (i did expect a longer burn time than what i got out of it) my preheated chunks had started smoldering by this point, guess i should have kept a better eye on them. smoker started to drop temp a bit after the first hour or so, knocked the ashes off the coals, cleaned the ash tray. temp started to come back up, but not much, so started another batch of charcoal. this time it was ready a lot sooner. more coals to the fire. hour later, more playing with the ashes. then i realized that the hickory chunks were the ones that had been smoldering, and the mesquite (Kmart was out of hickory, too) was only slightly blackened on the side that was resting on the firebox. gently pushed the fire a little closer to the front of the firebox, and then there was room to place my preheats inside the box! (V-8 commercial head slap) i had read about doing this (for using sticks) but didn't realize it would work for chunks, too. one minor triumph for me. they didn't really block the airflow, so, i left them there. moved them into the fire and replaced them as needed.

at 2.5 hours curiosity got the best of me, and i checked temps on the tenderloins. the one closest to the firebox was at 175. pulled and foiled it. (momma had already grown tired of waiting, and sent our son down to McDonalds to get dinner... (am really beginning to dislike that place) the others were hanging out at 120ish. (cold side of the grate) moved them to the hotter side. then my smoker seemed to struggle with temps a bit. it was running a little low, but not too bad. didn't take long for me to get it back up. finally got temp back up, but everything just kind of stalled. tenderloins started coming up again, and were pulled off and foiled at 170. ribs were at 130-140 depending on where on the grate they were, and size (some of these things were freaking huge). moved them around a bit to get the lower temp ones closer to the box, so that hopefully things will finish together. no such luck for me. they all came up to about 140-145, then stayed there. i foiled the ribs at about 3 hours, took them back out of the foil 1.5-2 hours later. finally at 6:30 last night, i gave up, pulled them off the smoker, covered them, and threw them in the oven at 250. half hour later they were done.

Several things i learned on this. 1. for that quantity of meat, i need to wait until i mod this smoker. 2. i can keep temps about where they should be (probably better control, too) using mainly wood, since at one point, i was burning nothing but 5-6 mesquite chunks. 3. i need to figure on at least an hour for prep time.

pics were take, and will be posted after the ribs and tenderloins have been cut into.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 02 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember about mesquite, it burns a lot hotter than regular wood. So if you are switching between woods, you will get temp variations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: