FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Usage questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26 09 1:10 am    Post subject: Usage questions... Reply with quote

Here I am thinking about adjustments and mods that need to be made to my pit, which is some version of an S&P (not sure if it's a basic one, or if Deluxe, or Pro).

I think I used about 15-18# with my last cook, which wound up being right at 7 hours or so. I was adding chunks about every 45 minutes or so. (I thought they were fairly small, but, they were about the size of my fist)

I realize that my usage will change once I finally get a mod or five done to my pit (which will be once I transfer to shore duty, simply because of a lack of time right now), so, for now, how much charcoal should I be using on a typical 6-8 hour cook? Would I be better off switching over to wood? Should I be burning wood in this, instead of charcoal and chunks?
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28 09 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offsets love sticks. Try it once or twice. If you're loading charcoal ever hour or so you might as well be burning sticks. Charcoal does work though in a s-n-p. To be honest, I haven't used my CG in a long time. I don't remember exactly how much fuel I using but about 12-15# sounds right. You might want to look into a charcoal basket to use in it. I never did but it helps with burn times in your offset.

Doc
Workaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28 09 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.... I'll give sticks a try once I move. At least now I know I wasn't doing anything wrong... I mean, even though I was turning out good Q doesn't mean I wasn't feeding the thing too much. Thanks for the help.

-Rich
NCBBQFAN
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick burning if different from lump or brick charcoal. A hot small fire will be your friend; stick burning can give you the bitters from the thick white or gray smoke if you’re not careful. Per-burning brick there is no problems like that, and lump can be added to a fire anytime but sticks need to be dyr, dry, dry and need to be added in smaller amounts to a hot fire to avoid the bitters. I have a stick burning offset and I have cooked with both methods and for me the lump charcoal with adding a stick or two every hour or so for flavor is my preferred way to cook. When I was totally burning sticks I was up every 45min during overnight cooks, but with lump / stick combination that goes to an hour. That doesn’t sound like much but that extra time is great when you’re doing all-nighters.

Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 09 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with a good bed of lump in my offset,then add wrist size splitz every 45 minutes or as needed.I also make sure my splitz are preheated so they will combust right away and not have any bitter white smoke.If I cook with lump only,it is easy to burn up a 20 pound bag in a 10-12 hour cook.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: