FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brunswick Stew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limp Brisket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 9:25 am    Post subject: Brunswick Stew Reply with quote

Does anybody or any of your relatives cook Brunswick Stew? I'd like to make some in a big iron skillet outside but would like some input and possibly a "tried and true" recipe and/or tips for it.

I've looked on the net and found tons of recipes for it, but there is nothing like input from you guys and gals.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 09 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love some Brunswick Stew. Does it come from Brunswick, GA or Brunswick Co., Virginia? No one knows the correct answer. I don't have a "tried and true" recipe for you. I talked to a man, once, however, that makes Brunswick stew all the time. I tried to mooch his recipe, but all I got was, "Smoke a chicken, dump in a bunch of veggies, and cook it all till it's done." He puts corn, lima beans, whole maters, some other stuff, and the kitchen sink in his cauldron-looking thing. Stirs it with a wood stick like the old-timers stir apple butter with. The man makes a killer stew. He will probably take the recipe with him to his grave.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Tell me how that stainless steel sink tastes when you eat it. Very Happy

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
chef_hog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 09 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make Brunswick stew that I sell when I set up the BBQ Trailer on Weekends and it sells out almost every weekend.

1 Sweet Onion diced
1 Green pepper diced
2 stocks Celery diced
1/2 bag baby Carrots cut in bite size pieces
3 yukon gold potatoes diced
2 bay leafs
1/4 c bacon fat
2 T olive oil
1/4 c flour
32 oz roasted chicken stock
8 oz smoked ham
1 lbs Smoked Chicken (I use left over thighs, legs and breast) pulled and rough chop.
Kosher salt to taste
corse ground black pepper to taste
2 T tabassco sauce
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 can of diced tomato 28 oz

Heat a heavy pan add bacon fat and olive oil, add onion celery and sauttee until translusent.
Add pepper, carrots, sautee for 4-5 minutes.
Add flour stir in and cook of 5 minutes don't let brown remove from heat.
Add chicken stock and stir in with flour and veg unitl well mixed return to stove on medium heat bring to a boil stirring to make sure that it does not stick to bottom (it will thicken).
Lower heat to a simmer and add remaining ingredients stir well. simmer for approx 1 hour stirring occassionally. Check seasoning and serve with corn bread or buttermilk biscuits.

You can add corn and lima beans if you want. This recipe combines the GA and VA Brunswick stews with alittle New Orleans spice. It has worked very well for me and the customers love it.
Limp Brisket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 09 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your recipe, I will be cooking it this weekend for my wife and kids. Your recipe sounds great!

I will be sure to report back after I've made it.

Thanks again for taking the time and sharing your recipe.
chef_hog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem limp always glad to help
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04 09 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beef Stew

5 lb rump roast
oil
water to cover

2 Lipton Onion Soup Mix packets
2 McCormick Beef Stew seasoning packets
2 lg onions roughly chopped
3 pounds or more potatoes, peeled & cut large
3 cans (15 oz each) whole kernel corn drained
1 to 2 lbs baby carrots
1 can beef broth
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Kitchen Bouquet for color
cornstarch with water to thicken

In a large pan brown roast in enough oil to cover bottom of pan or dutch oven. Remove roast and put in a pressure cooker with enough water to cover roast. Cook roast in pressure cooker for 1 1/4 hrs or until roast will shred. It can be done without a pressure cooker, but takes longer. When roast will shred, add all other ingredients except cornstarch and Kitchen Bouquet. Bring pot to a simmer with lid on until potatoes and carrots are tender. If more liquid is needed, add more water or beef broth. When done, while stew is simmering, mix some cornstarch with water and add to pot. Stir well. Keep adding cornstarch and water untill consistency of stew is the way you like it. Add as much Kitchen Bouquet as needed to get the color of the stew the way you like it.

Note: Flour and water can be used to thicken stew, it just takes less cornstarch for the same effect. You can use any cut of beef you like, chuck roast and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: