FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Baby smoke stack(s)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockinw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 08 11:16 pm    Post subject: Big Baby smoke stack(s) Reply with quote

Hi, New member here. I am in the process of building a Big Baby smoker and have a question regarding the smoke stack or stacks. What is the best configuration for the stack? Single 6" out the top or center of the back, single 6" out one end, two 6" one on each end or two 4" one on each end? I have seen each of these configurations in pictures on the web and wonder if there is any advantage to any one. Also, should the pipe be exit be located above the grate or below the grate?

Harry in NJ
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 08 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is ... yes!

The long answer is most people build them out of what they have on hand or can easily get, so the answers are always changing person to person.

Then you have some who like to study all the problems scientifically, and as one of those, if you have two vents between the firebox and the cooking chamber and they are near the ends, I would put one large 6" or even 8" if you can get some, exhaust in the middle of the cooking chamber. If you have one central chimney between the firebox and the cooking chamber the I'd have two exhausts, one near each end.

Then there are those who view it esthetically and want symmetry or an asymmetrical view for what ever reason and they'll give you a different answer.

On the depth question I'd take it as low as you can, without it interfering with where you put the meat or if the racks will pull out, etc.

But there is often a fine balancing point between depth and draw, and if you make things too long it can be as bad a not making them big enough.

YMMV, I hope others who have built Big Baby's will comment too?

I still work here!
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 08 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am correct and a Big Baby smoker is a design with 2 horizontal 55 gallon drums stacked one above the other and connected by 2 pipes moving heat from the lower firebox to the upper cooking chamber then I would go with 2 seperate 4 inch exhaust. One at each end. I would also make sure that the top of each exhaust hole you cut in the cooking chamber was located with the top of each hole 2 inches below the top of the bottom cooking grate.My 2 cents worth, however humble it may be.
peteque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 08 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controversy continues. I have seen both designs and heard arguments for and against each. Here is a photo of mine.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm43/peteque/IMG_0855.jpg

Pete
Rockinw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 08 8:47 pm    Post subject: Big baby smoke stacks Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information here. I am leaning towards a single stack out the back of the top drum. If nothing else, it gives the lid something to lean against when its open!

HarryW
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 08 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Big baby smoke stacks Reply with quote

Rockinw wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information here. I am leaning towards a single stack out the back of the top drum. If nothing else, it gives the lid something to lean against when its open!

HarryW

That's exactly why I did mine that way, but I would also put in either some stops at the top of the door or cement the chimney into place or you-can- knock the pipe off if you open the lid too hard or too fast!
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 08 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the one on each end configuration, I have two 4 inch stacks with a reduction down to 2.5 inch. I put drip pans right over the flues and it acts as a heat and smoke defuser. Mine stays right at 235 for about 1 hour per piece of wood that I throw in the bottom burn barrel. I keep the door about 1/4 open to produce draft. It works great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: