FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Park Avenue BBQ Grill, North Palm Beach, FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 08 9:46 am    Post subject: Park Avenue BBQ Grill, North Palm Beach, FL Reply with quote

First, it seems to be a local chain, so this review only applies to the North Palm Beach location. I ordered the chicken and rib combo with the BBQ beans and french fries. There was no smell of smoke anywhere and there was no wood stack outside (it's obviously not that kind of place). I was really ready to bag the place as a boil the ribs and slop on the sauce joint; when the plate arrived I inspected my ribs and chicken carefully. Aha, no smoke ring! This review is gonna' write itself.

I took a bite of the french fries, no big deal. BBQ beans, average to maybe just below. They have a regular and a hot BBQ sauce. Regular is not bad and doesn't suffer from the syrupy sweetness that turns me off. The hot is really just hot sauce like a Tabasco or Texas Pete. Glad I didn't slather my food with it before I tasted it.

Here's where we get down to brass tacks; I took a bite of the ribs and man, they were cooked almost perfectly! There was no smokiness to them and to my taste, they were somewhat underseasoned, but they were cooked just right, with that bite clean texture and chewiness. There was also a little char on the outside that came from a little ride on the grill. These ribs were cooked as well as any I've ever had in a restaurant. The chicken suffered from the same lack of smokiness, but again, it was cooked well enough that it was almost like a rotisserie chicken, very tender.

I asked my waitress about the type of smoker they use and she said it is a custom designed propane fired smoker that uses a lot of steam. When I asked about the wood, she stated that they use hickory chips for flavor (not nearly enough smoke for me).

I've got a real dilemma on my hands here guys. I greatly enjoyed the meal; the ribs were cooked every bit as well as mine at home, and I'm not bragging when I say that I'm very good at ribs. That being said, the smokiness was definitely missing and after finding out about the chips, I'm not surprised. It's the kind of thing many of us would call "not real BBQ".

With all that being said, I would recommend the place if you're in the area. As much BBQ as I eat, I finished every bite of the meat on this plate, not something I do often at a restaurant. It's my first time, but I'd definitely come back for another go.
Sarrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 08 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Park Avenue BBQ Grill, North Palm Beach, FL Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
First, it seems to be a local chain, so this review only applies to the North Palm Beach location. I ordered the chicken and rib combo with the BBQ beans and french fries. There was no smell of smoke anywhere and there was no wood stack outside (it's obviously not that kind of place). I was really ready to bag the place as a boil the ribs and slop on the sauce joint; when the plate arrived I inspected my ribs and chicken carefully. Aha, no smoke ring! This review is gonna' write itself.

I took a bite of the french fries, no big deal. BBQ beans, average to maybe just below. They have a regular and a hot BBQ sauce. Regular is not bad and doesn't suffer from the syrupy sweetness that turns me off. The hot is really just hot sauce like a Tabasco or Texas Pete. Glad I didn't slather my food with it before I tasted it.

Here's where we get down to brass tacks; I took a bite of the ribs and man, they were cooked almost perfectly! There was no smokiness to them and to my taste, they were somewhat underseasoned, but they were cooked just right, with that bite clean texture and chewiness. There was also a little char on the outside that came from a little ride on the grill. These ribs were cooked as well as any I've ever had in a restaurant. The chicken suffered from the same lack of smokiness, but again, it was cooked well enough that it was almost like a rotisserie chicken, very tender.

I asked my waitress about the type of smoker they use and she said it is a custom designed propane fired smoker that uses a lot of steam. When I asked about the wood, she stated that they use hickory chips for flavor (not nearly enough smoke for me).

I've got a real dilemma on my hands here guys. I greatly enjoyed the meal; the ribs were cooked every bit as well as mine at home, and I'm not bragging when I say that I'm very good at ribs. That being said, the smokiness was definitely missing and after finding out about the chips, I'm not surprised. It's the kind of thing many of us would call "not real BBQ".

With all that being said, I would recommend the place if you're in the area. As much BBQ as I eat, I finished every bite of the meat on this plate, not something I do often at a restaurant. It's my first time, but I'd definitely come back for another go.

Pappas, I have eaten at PA BBQ Grill several times over the years including way way way back when Park Avenue Grill was actually located on Park Avenue in Lake Park and IMO it's alright if you can't get to someplace better for me it's the lack of smoke flavor in the meat that I miss. But don't get me wrong like I said I have eaten at the PA Grill in NPB and WPB locations the meat is cook nicely but the lack of the smoke is what’s needed to make PA Grill better IMHO.

Sarrel

lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 08 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the funny thing is that we have no idea on what we each think is "lacking smoke flavor".

We need to come up with an ISFU. International Smoke Flavor Unit. A scale of 1 to 20. Each unit being the amount of smoke it takes to get from crock pot to licking the inside of the smoker divided by 20. Very Happy
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 08 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISFU (are you sure you want to end the acronym with FU?) of 1 or 2. Really, the food was pretty good for what it was, but I wouldn't consider it smoked with such a light application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: