FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice with welder recruiting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lake Effect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 8:02 am    Post subject: advice with welder recruiting Reply with quote

I'm beginning my search to build a custom. I have plans for a double UDS to start, and will be going bigger and more mobile from there.
Any advice on searching for welders, or reasonable price rates, etc...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bleed blue so I am partial to Miller. But savings wise I would say go with Hobart. The Handler 140 or 187 if you want wire. I am a stick man so I would say go with the Stick mate LX Ac Dc. And if you have a Tractor supply close by they Usually have good prices.
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is your welding experience.

From your question it seems you may be welding on light guage materials. If you haven't welded much in the past the mig might be a good start since it is forgiving and somewhat easier to use to fill the blowouts you'll have (we all have them).

Mig pros: Easy to use, portable, and forgiving

Mig cons: You either have to have shield gas or flux wire and it's hard to tell when you are going to run out of either. You usually run out just after the store closes that has it. Your lead length is limited most of the time.

Stick welder pros: With a decent ac/dc rig you can weld most anything. You can add quite a bit of lead to it without much of an issue (just bump the amperage up as required). You can count your rods and know when you are getting low.

Stick welder cons: Hard for a first time welder to get going well on light guage material. Hard to determine the correct amperage to weld at. (higher does not mean better) 220vac is often required for a good ac/dc machine.

As for brand, I'm with K.A.M., Miller ROCKS!!! If you plan to use this machine for a long time go with the extra money for quality.

CB
Lake Effect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend hiring out the work instead of making the purchase, or is the experience worth it?
Nate_bone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a question of what you want to get out of it. If the only goal is to have a smoker, then hiring it out might make sense. For me, I put over a year into mine, along with blood, sweat, tears, and more money than I expected. And I wouldn't have had it any other way (except maybe the money part). I had a blast building my smoker, and wouldn't feel nearly the same about it if I'd had someone build it for me.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Effect, If you want to hire a cheap welder go down to Tri - C or another Community College and hire a student.

Even better, take a class and make it there. cheap way to rent a shop.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Effect, Nate_bone brings up a good point you could hire it out but then its just a cooker you had built. I understand if you have no welding skills then making a cooker is a huge undertaking especially if you are mounting on a trailer and building the trailer for it. But if you have the skills then I would either rent a machine if you cant justify the price of a machine but I believe you will spend far more in rental or go ask a competent welder his price per hr. Around here its around 35:00 per hr. And if the welder builds it at his or hers shop chances are they will build it the way they want it not your way. I personally could not survive without my welder and torches they have paid for themselves 10 fold. Awning Guy has a great idea about the welding students and you could draw it to spec you supply material you get a cooker and they get a grade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: