FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My missed adventure at Dover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 08 4:00 am    Post subject: My missed adventure at Dover Reply with quote

Well last Comp as Mutha Chicken BBQ, Wanted to go out with a bang.
I thought we did well, But looking back at the Pics I can see why we didn't. Although I thought the taste was spot on. I was very impressed with the pork, But looking back at the Pics. Should have put more in it.Chicken would be my next one I thought I would get a walk from, But color was off. Ribs I thought were done to perfection, But it lacked some umpa! Brisket, Well I sliced it too early and it ended up dry, Tried a different technique and it didn't work out so well.

I'l update the scores later, what would you score them?

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 08 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chicken.

Personally I'd go with one or other of your garnish choices, the both on the chicken I find somewhat distracting.

Color looks reasonable in the pictures, and the sauce is pretty even, it also looks like you did fairly well on picking sized thighs, so that the box has an even feel to it, I'd give it an 8, allowing that it is a bbq meat contest not a garnish contest, see comment above.

The Ribs.

The cuts between aren't as clean as the could be, I like the 6 on 6 presentation, but it's a bit of a tight squeeze, and the garnish is not making it POP. Perhaps a 5 on 5 would do better, the gaze looks even, but the bone size is letting you down a bit, I'd give it a 7 from the picture bordering on an 8 to see it in daylight.

The Pork just isn't singing to me, and is in solid 6/7 territory.

The Brisket looks the best out of your boxes, there is even garnish, even sauce, and the slices don't look cramped or sparse, a good 8 from me.

That's just my take on the boxes, YMMV! Wink

I still work here!
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 08 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I will add is take out the last two slices of brisket and put in some burnt ends.
ThePigWhisperer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 08 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAY too much sauce on the chicken and ribs. I don't know how you can taste the meat with that much sauce.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24 08 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePigWhisperer wrote:
WAY too much sauce on the chicken and ribs. I don't know how you can taste the meat with that much sauce.

Mabey, After I figured out it was a BBQ competition and not a meat competition I have improved my scores alot though.

we ended up 17th out of 79, Not too shabby. But I thought we would at least have one call in there. Just wasn't our day. We'll see in 2 more weeks if we can improve in NC.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24 08 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePigWhisperer wrote:

That's hard to say. It looks that way in the photo, because it's shiny, but until I ate it and tried it, I wouldn't go negative. Plenty of great entries have too much sauce. I don't like them that way, but lots of judges don't seem to mind.

Hardest thing to do is figure out why we don't score well.

Must be the judges... Wink
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 08 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnburner180 wrote:
Only thing I will add is take out the last two slices of brisket and put in some burnt ends.

Why?

As a KCBS judge you are supposed to judge what is there, not what you think should be there. It seems to me that some judges expect certain things and score down if they don't get what they expect. I can understand expecting some bark in the pork box and whole pieces of chicken instead chunks or slices, but burnt ends?

I don't put burnt ends in my boxes for the simple reason that judges have an expectation as to how sweet burnt ends should be. If they are not sweet enough, they score down. Burnt ends are 10% about the meat and 90% about the sauce, not really the way I want my brisket judged.

Sorry for going into attack mode and ranting, but it has been on my mind for a while.

My 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: