FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neoprene gloves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joemero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 12:34 am    Post subject: Neoprene gloves Reply with quote

I saw some neoprene gloves at Home Depot the other day at a good price, but they didn't say anything about high heat resistance. Is the fact that they're just neoprene the same as the high temp neoprene gloves you see on the web? I'm interested in using them for pulling my food of the smoker not to handle charcoal or metal. So would it be safe to use the home depot ones?
www.elpasoweber.ning.com
enjkuck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of silicone gloves. I got mine from Traeger.
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoprenes are no good around the grill/smoker. the heat will crack them at the seams in a short time. But good old insulated huntin gloves work pretty good for handling racks and other hot things around the grill
Joemero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
neoprenes are no good around the grill/smoker. the heat will crack them at the seams in a short time. But good old insulated huntin gloves work pretty good for handling racks and other hot things around the grill

I have welders gloves for handling the grill/smoker, tending the coals...etc. What I mean is when pulling off pork butts or other food items, it's easier to use some kind of heat resistant neoprene type rubber gloves like these http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm
Use of these lined gloves instead of tongs and forks will keep you from poking holes and scarring the meats and thereby risk losing juices while smoking. So I was trying to find a lower cost alternative at Home Depot or Lowes, but I noticed that they don't have specific USDA approved high heat resistant, so I am wondering which of the ones they do carry would work the same...silicon, PVC coated, Neoprene coated latex??
www.elpasoweber.ning.com
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a basic cotton glove with a nitrile or vinyl glove over it. The cotton gloves I get from my local restaurant supply store for about $12/doz. They are machine washable and provide a fair amount of insulation. The nitrile/vinyl glove keeps hot juices from getting through. Works well for me for dealing with hot food.
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the gloves from the TexasBBQ guys. I bought a couple of pairs last month and I've been very happy with them.
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, For the neoprene glove guys you can go to:

www.mcmaster.com
Part number 5309T1
Thicker than most nitrile gloves, these neoprene gloves last longer in comparable service. They protect your hands from alcohols, acids, and oils and are made from materials that comply with FDA regulations for food contact, unless noted. Color is black.

You can get them for 1/2 the price there....

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
GaryC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of these insulated rubber gloves, and I've been very happy with them. So long as you remember these are for handling hot food, and not hot grills and smokers, these hold up quite well. They are a bit stained after several uses, but otherwise they clean up nicely, and protect hands against heat very well.

I recommend them.
stv8r

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14 08 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For handling the hot smoker parts, I use "The Ove' Glove" It works extremely well for the really hot stuff. You can pick up a red hot grate , no problem at all. Just don't get it wet, or it loses the insulative property. My grocery store sells them...as well as many other places.
SteveB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I use to move things around on the smoker and for pulling pork...$3.25 a pair, cheaper by the dozen
http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Gloves/PVC_Gloves/12577/
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most neoprene is semi-permeable unless they have a special coating on them. I could see funk & mung being absorbed into that type of material and possibly causing a cross contamination issue if you are not careful.

I think silicone with a liner would be a better option.

The gloves ASNF is referring to are most commonly worn by meat cutters to keep their hands warmer. I use tons of them a summer and they are cheap & washable until the get too ugly and at $1.00 per pair they are considered disposable in my book.

For hot metal and handling wood I like to use a thick suede welding gloves. I keep a set at each cooker for anyone to use without need to hunt them down each time.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone gloves are the way to go............I got a super thick pair in the kitchen ware department at Kmart. They were like $6 each hand. I took my charcoal pan out with half a load of burning coal in it while cooking a butt in a monsoon today and they did not even scar. I couldn't even feel the heat. These things should last a few years they are made well.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want gloves made out of the same material they use to insulate the space shuttle for re-entry into our atmosphere.

I have seen it heated with an acetylene torch until it was glowing, and then picked up with bare hands, and it was still glowing inside from the heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: