FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the purpose of salt curing fish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron871

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06 07 11:42 am    Post subject: What is the purpose of salt curing fish? Reply with quote

What does this do? If the fish is fresh and your gonna smoke it right away, what is the purpose?

Ya, so I'm really new and looking up to you guys for some basic info...

Thanks....
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07 07 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt curing is what it says...Curing the fish with salt. Old timers way to store fish.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt 'curing' will dry the fish out and is used for preservation.

Is someone telling you to salt the fish prior to smoking? If so are they telling to you 'cure' the fish (which removes most all the moisture) or are they telling you to salt the fish for a short period before smoking?

These are two different things.

Quite often along the coast you see BBQ mullet. This is done with jumping mullet (often called fat mullet). You can fillet or butterfly the fish...leaving the scales on. Typically you'll see folks salt the flesh and let it sit in the chill chest overnight. Then you grill the fish scale side down (after rinsing off the salt) and baste with a thin bbq sauce while cooking.

That type of salting I wouldn't call a 'cure'.

Jay
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or....are you talking about brining? Which would be soaking in water that has a high salt content. This would help keep the fish from drying out during the smoke process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: