FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rub-a-Dub-Dub Round 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this to MDS yesterday so I'm just reposting it here so people know I'm being honest. Smile

Quote:
Sorry this is so late - was cooking from 6am to 9pm tonight for a labor day cookout and I just finished cleanup.

Served your rub on 2 racks of baby backs (you sent less this time, so I couldn't get a butt done with it sadly) and everyone who tried them really liked the sweetness and the kick. I got to try a -very- small piece and have to agree. Didn't get much more because they disappeared off the table within 15 minutes of them going out! I thought the bit I tried had a nice mix of the sweet and heat, and I could see how the heat might sneak up on you if I'd eaten more. It went really well with a molasses sauce I had on the side for people. A lot of people did that and really loved it.

I'd say you got the rub bang-on, and given that people see to like it better than my rub on baby backs, I think I'm either gonna be forced to figure out your recipe or start buying it from you sooner or later. Smile

Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, just wanted to report back about what I thougth about your rub. I normally don't judge a rub by just tasting it alone. I have found that does not always give you a good idea of what it will taste like when cooked on something. I was busy cooking a smoker FULL of packers and I did not have a lot of room so I got a few country style ribs to try the rub on.

I put a thin coat of mustard on the ribs and a medium coat of your rub. Threw the ribs on the smoker and let them go for about 2 1/2 hours or so at around 250-300. As the ribs cooked they began to get a real nice red color, I assume from the paprika in the rub. Even at the slightly higher temps, I did not experience any burning. I pulled the ribs off and let them rest for about 15 minutes before we tasted them. The wife and I both thought the rub had a really nice flavor. Maybe slightly more heat that I would want for contest turn-ins around here but I really like it. Nice blend of spices and a little lingering heat from the pepper. I give it a solid 8.5 to 9 overall. My wife commented how well it went with my sauce too. We did the ribs on Sunday and yesterday I was going to grill a pork tenderloin for dinner. I decided to use your rub on it too and it came out pretty darn tasty! I think you are on the right track Mike!

Patrick
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for trying it out and giving me feedback. I'm really happy to see that everyone likes it so far!

I havent been ignoring this thread, or PMs either. My grandmother passed away last week, so I have been out of town and haven't had time to reply until now.

I think everyone has used it, there might be one that hasn't yet but I've lost track. As most have you have probably figured out I plan on selling this rub, but it will probably be several months before I can get it on the market. Everyone here has provided me with invaluable feedback, and helped me make the decision to move forward with this.

Thank you all very very much!!

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condolences' on the loss of your grandmother Mike.
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry for your loss. Please take whatever time you need.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

On a brighter note, good luck with the rub sales in the future!
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

on an happier note:

I'm expecting to be able to try the new batch this weekend! I'm really looking forward to it after seeing all the responses so far. Thanks again for including me in the group and for the extra batch of the first run. I suspect that I too will be wanting to buy more of your final product!

Tom
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother.

Don
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone!

Edit: also if anyone has an idea for a name I am all ears. I have a couple myself, but I'm always up for suggestions.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07 08 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Well, better late than never. We tried batch 2 today on some spare ribs cut to St. Louis style. We had the in-laws over for dinner to get their opinions too.

Once again everyone liked the rub! My in-laws have not tasted batch 1 so they could not compare the two like my wife and I could. We used our own sauce which is a sweet K.C. style sauce. The rub went very well with it. I also noticed the difference in texture of the rub when applying it to the ribs. It is not as fine as the first batch. I can see a benefit to that when applying.

I used more than half of the sample on the ribs giving them a good coating. All and all you have a very good rub with batch 2. It had a nice flavor that was very evenly blended. Nothing came out as over powering. It just had a good flavor and color.

As for the difference between the two, my wife and I both noticed that this batch didnít have the little bite that we both liked about the first batch. It seemed to be a bit milder over all. Of the two I think we would have to pick the first one as a favorite. I don't even mind the first batch being a bit finer.

If I remember I think we gave the first batch a rating of 8 to 9. I think that still holds for me. I would give batch two a rating of 7to 8. The wife also thought the first batch was 8to 9 but she rated the second batch as a solid 7. My in-laws both gave the rub a solid 8. Iím going to have to let them try the first batch to see if they like it better as well.

Bottom line Mike, I would be thrilled to have more of either batch. Good stuff! Thanks for allowing us to participate. Be sure to let us know when you have more that we can get from you. Wish we could help out with a name but it took my wife and me forever just to come up with names for our kids! Good thing we had 9 months to think about it.Very Happy

Oh, I almost forgot, we mixed a little of the first batch with some butter and put it on some corn on the cob before putting them in the smoker to cook! They came out great too.

All trimmed and ready to go. The trimmings made for a nice snack mid cook.

Alld done and ready to eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: