FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who would like to try my rub?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 14 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom C wrote:
Mike,

I cooked up some baby backs today and gave the rub a try.

In short, we really liked it! Very Happy We usually use rubs lightly to keep from overpowering the flavor of the meat. Yours' was the first I've tried that I felt really enhanced the flavor without being overpowering. On the next trial I will most likely give the meat a stronger coat. We use a fairly sweet bbq sauce as well which I think went very well the rub.

When this sample is gone is there a chance to get some more from you? We like it that much! Very Happy

I thought I should add that we use olive oil in place of mustard as a slather to hold rubs. During the cook I used a broth / apple juice mop to spritz the ribs. I also foiled for 1 hour with some of the mop.

Well, I'm really glad to hear that you liked it.

I think I have heard from all but one person. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I am going to do a little tinkering with the recipe to make it a little sweeter and then I will probably do a "round 2" sometime in the near future.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 14 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ou812warford wrote:
Used it on some bones chicken breasts and it seemed to lost some of its taste. I have enjoyed it on different things. After this taste I would give it a seven. It was very good on shrimp and the beef filet steaks. I need to put it on some pork now. I will let you know when I do.

I look forward to hearing your results from the pork.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Aug 20 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to get a broad non-biased opinion of your rub. It seems to me you've got a pretty decent rub.
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 24 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I received the package today with round two of the rub. Very Happy I think I will try it out on the smoker I built at work so I can get my co-workers opinions for you as well. Also, thanks more of the original rub! As it turns out I used most of what I had left of the first batch on a small pork butt that I cooked today.

Here are some pictures:

Used olive oil and rub slather to get ready for the smoker.

Just before I took it out of the smoker and just after pulling.
I mixed a little more rub with the meat to add more flavor. As you can see I was able to get a nice bark which had a great flavor.
As I mentioned with my first cook with the rub, I like it because it adds nice flavor with out over powering. Too many of the rubs I have tried in the past are too salty or too hot. My wife and I both give the rub a rating of 8 to 9. We are really looking forward to trying round 2.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 25 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, that pork looks really good. I'm glad that you like the rub, and I look forward to what you think of the new stuff.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

I'll stop by the post office and pick up my mail later today, and see if it's there.

I've got a butt awaiting so I'll let you know what I think as soon as the butt cools enough to rip into it. Wink Laughing Wink

Course now I've said all that there will probably only be bills waiting for me! Embarassed

I still work here!
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

SoEzzy wrote:
I'll stop by the post office and pick up my mail later today, and see if it's there.

I've got a butt awaiting so I'll let you know what I think as soon as the butt cools enough to rip into it. Wink Laughing Wink

Course now I've said all that there will probably only be bills waiting for me! Embarassed

LOL. That is the way my luck goes too.

Lets move all new comments to the other thread. It is easier for me to keep track of them that way.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Aug 27 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i realy would like to get on this list if possible.
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

Mike,

didn't want to think I forgot about you. I changed departments at work and my schedule has been hectic. Throw in a good week long soaking from Fay, not much time for smokin. Although......I have 2 racks babyback and a turkey breast ready to throw in the smoker wed. Your rubbed pork is headed to the season opener for UGA. Go Dawgs!! I'll let you know how it turns out. Smells awesome in the fridge.

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

I just checked the mail yesterday and round 2 was waiting. Very Happy I wish I would have checked the mail on Friday before I did the 4 butts on the wsm. Mad I lit a fire Minion Method at 6:30am and when I went to bed at 12:45am (18hrs later???) it was still reading above 200* and I added no fuel. Shocked

Oh well, this gives me a reason to cook this weekend. Not sure what I'm gonna do I'll keep ya posted. Can't wait to try it out!!
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Aug 30 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain postponed my cook till early fri.........done for the trip to Athens for some of my fellow Dawg fans. I did three racks of spares and a turkey breast. I picked up on some of the things the other tester before me said. I coated the turkey and 2 slabs with a heavy coating of your rub. The third rack, I mixed a little turbinado in with your rub to sweeten it up abit. Overall I liked the one with the t-sugar a little bit more. Overall a very good rub. I'd give the original a 7 and with some turbinado added I'd give it an 8. Thanks for letting me take part in your rub testing. Since my Aunt teaches at the U. of N in Lincoln I'm also sending a go Huskers!

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 31 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2,

I blended some demerra sugar with some of my leftover Round 1 rub last night and put it on a 6 lb. boneless pork butt. It's smoking away in my bullet today while we're boarding up the house. I'll post a thread with results next week.

Thanks again for letting me in on the test!

edit - no time for a seperate cook thread, so here's the only 2 pics of today's cook.

My wife & I both think it's the best pork butt I've cooked thus far. Enough of the heat lingered, with some of the added sweet, and the salt was diluted by the larger volume to surface area of the meat in the pork butt vs. ribs. This is a keeper for pork butt with a little added sweet!

necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sep 29 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I used the last of my Round 1 rub, blended 1:1 with some demerra sugar, on some pork loin back ribs today, since the ribs were on sale this week. I picked up some cherry wood chunks at Barbecues Galore while I was in Houston earlier this month, so I used some of that with some OCC Rancher for flavor & fuel. It all came out great! With all the positive posts on the Round 2 of the rub, I'm confident you'll be able to sucessfully market your rub.

Start of cook

Finished results

We tried a bottle of Stubb's Honey Pecan BBQ sauce, which went very well with the ribs & rub. We had some fresh green beans as our side dish. I couldn't resist adding a little freshly grated Parmesan to my plate. I made a key lime & coconut pie for desert today, adapting dahorns' recipe.

Thanks again for giving me an opportunity to participate!
SmokeRat

PostPosted: Oct 17 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just came across this post. So now that you've had your review of your rub, post the recipe so we can see what's in it and perhaps change it to our liking.

Rick
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Oct 23 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeRat wrote:
Ok, just came across this post. So now that you've had your review of your rub, post the recipe so we can see what's in it and perhaps change it to our liking.

Rick

Sorry, I just saw this post, I was out of the office for most of last week.

I'm sorry, I cant post the recipe. I have been kicking around the idea of marketing my rub, and I'm just waiting to get some things in order.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: