FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tons of turn in boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 2:20 am    Post subject: Tons of turn in boxes Reply with quote

Ok so these are some of my turn in boxes over the years. Some are kinda old. Click on the thumbnails for larger images. I thought these might help some of the newer people by showing the mistakes that I have made. I know i have more pictures somewhere, i just need to find them.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Sirsmokealot
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2, do you remember how you scored with these pics? I'm curious about the pork box 2nd row, right side in the thumnails. I'm thinking that not having the judges taste two styles of pork (chunks and strings) might lead to a higher score. (less product to judge?) Just curious.

2' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
6' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is pretty old, so I want to say "not well" But I know I ended up with a seventh place out of one of those early pork boxes. That one is probably from '04 or '05

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Indiana Bear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed that you have "ends" or chunks in your brisket boxes. If they are ends, just wondering what qualifies as a good one and a bad one? We tossed the idea around of throwing some in with the brisket, but nixed it quickly 'cause we just weren't sure what we were looking for. Confused

"How do you measure yourself against other golfers?......By Height"
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Bear wrote:
Noticed that you have "ends" or chunks in your brisket boxes. If they are ends, just wondering what qualifies as a good one and a bad one? We tossed the idea around of throwing some in with the brisket, but nixed it quickly 'cause we just weren't sure what we were looking for. Confused

They are cut off of the point end of a packer. They are basically bark with a little bit of meat.

They are all good.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook burnt ends at every contest. If done properly, I think they can really help your scores. After I pull my brisket off the smoker to let it rest(usually 2-2.5 hrs before turn-in), I separate the point from the flat, rewrap the flat, and put it in a cooler/cambro to hold. I trim all excess fat off the point, cut it into cubes, put it in a foil pan, hit it with some additional rub and some sauce, toss gently to coat, and put the pan back in the smoker for about 2 hrs. Additional fat from the point renders out and the sauce caramelizes to give you a tender, chewy, sweet piece of beefy goodness. Cool

I've posted this pic before, but here's my brisket box from the Royal Open last year. Don't have the scores in front of me, but it did well enough to place 17th out of 508 teams. Wink

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirsmokealot wrote:
I'm curious about the pork box 2nd row, right side in the thumbnails. I'm thinking that not having the judges taste two styles of pork (chunks and strings) might lead to a higher score. (less product to judge?) Just curious.

There is some validity to your idea Sirsmokealot but let me show you the other side of the coin.

I was judging a competition the weekend before last, not a sanctioned event but running under similar rules to the KCBS with 4 meat catagories.

In the chicken from two contestants we had thighs and sliced breast, the breast was moist and tender, but the thighs were a little past their best, the appearance was good and the box was quite pretty.

I scored it an 8 on the appearance, the breast had good flavor and if it had been on it's own I'd have scored it an 9, the thighs didn't taste as good and were a 7 on their own, so I aggregated the score for taste at an 8, the breast was tender as could be, but the thighs were over cooked, again 9 for the breast and 7 for the thighs aggregated to 8.

The score for the combined was 8,8,8, if it had been only the breasts then it would have scored 8,9,9, and if only the thighs it would have scored 8,7,7, so the competitor did worse than they could have or better than they could have, dependent upon what they turned in.

With briskets, I've had poor slices and brilliant burnt ends in the same box, and poor burnt ends and reasonable slices, although it can make your score fluctuate, I for one as a judge would prefer you to give me the chance to judge all that you did, outside of the meat, inside of the meat, any special injection, glaze or rub that was part of how you cooked it, the more information I have the better and more fair I can be in judging your cooking ability.

The winner in the pork shoulder category had sliced meat, pulled meat and sliced bark, and it got 9,9,9 from two judges and nothing lower than 9,7,8 from the rest.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice, from my limited experience I would put more types in a box than less, as I've seen the scores pulled up more times than pulled down.

I still work here!
Sirsmokealot
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 08 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Sirsmokealot wrote:
I'm curious about the pork box 2nd row, right side in the thumbnails. I'm thinking that not having the judges taste two styles of pork (chunks and strings) might lead to a higher score. (less product to judge?) Just curious.

There is some validity to your idea Sirsmokealot but let me show you the other side of the coin.

I was judging a competition the weekend before last, not a sanctioned event but running under similar rules to the KCBS with 4 meat catagories.

In the chicken from two contestants we had thighs and sliced breast, the breast was moist and tender, but the thighs were a little past their best, the appearance was good and the box was quite pretty.

I scored it an 8 on the appearance, the breast had good flavor and if it had been on it's own I'd have scored it an 9, the thighs didn't taste as good and were a 7 on their own, so I aggregated the score for taste at an 8, the breast was tender as could be, but the thighs were over cooked, again 9 for the breast and 7 for the thighs aggregated to 8.

The score for the combined was 8,8,8, if it had been only the breasts then it would have scored 8,9,9, and if only the thighs it would have scored 8,7,7, so the competitor did worse than they could have or better than they could have, dependent upon what they turned in.

With briskets, I've had poor slices and brilliant burnt ends in the same box, and poor burnt ends and reasonable slices, although it can make your score fluctuate, I for one as a judge would prefer you to give me the chance to judge all that you did, outside of the meat, inside of the meat, any special injection, glaze or rub that was part of how you cooked it, the more information I have the better and more fair I can be in judging your cooking ability.

The winner in the pork shoulder category had sliced meat, pulled meat and sliced bark, and it got 9,9,9 from two judges and nothing lower than 9,7,8 from the rest.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice, from my limited experience I would put more types in a box than less, as I've seen the scores pulled up more times than pulled down.

Thanks So Ezzy, I do see what you are saying.

2' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
6' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
Big Bears BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 08 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: