FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cedar plank salmon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChileHead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 05 12:34 am    Post subject: cedar plank salmon Reply with quote

for cedar plank salmon steaks

marinate the salmon steaks in olive oil, lemon and fresh dill for about an hour.

then try crusting your salmon in the last few minutes of cooking with a crust consisting of soft goat cheese, finely chopped jalapeno, garlic, basil, pepper and sundried tomato.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 05 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very good, thanks!
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 05 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you smoke it?

If I bought a big 5 lbs fillet, how long?

Which wood? I'm thinking fruit wood, cherry or apple.
badhabit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cedar plank I don't buy the spendy $50.00 ones. I go the the lumber yard and get untreated 1"x6" or 1"x8" 8' boards. I cut off only what I need for the size of the fillet I'm cooking/smoking. I soak it for approx 30 min. and put he fillet on skin side down. You can cook it in your oven at 350 until the fillet temp is 125. Or you can cook/smoke it in your bbg or smoker at the same temp until 125, you just don't want the plank to catch on fire, ok if it "chars" alittle as that is where you get the cedar smoke infusion.
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25 06 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedar and alder are my favorites for smoking salmon.
mouse6196

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17 07 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the cedar plank technique tonight and can't say I liked how it turned out. All I did was Salt, Pepper and little lemon as I wanted to really taste the effect from the cedar. I found the cedar taste too strong. Can someone give me advice to lessen the cedar taste slightly...

I cooked at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. The wood did not flare at all and only slightly smoked but it was still a little strong for my taste.

Any tips are appreciated...it's a fun technique.
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you put the fillets on foil, or some other surface on the grill so they wouldn't fall apart, and then add like one cedar chip to the fire for about a 45 second smoke... might be a way to get a slight cedar flavor without overpowering results
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smokin_Mom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 08 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you soak the planks in Water for 24 hours before use? That usually helps with the smoke being so intense. I see that they are pretty well burnt in some places. You should be able to get about 4-6 uses out of the planks before you need to replace them.

It looks good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: