FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Thrilla On the Grilla" Tomahawk, WI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 2:12 am    Post subject: "Thrilla On the Grilla" Tomahawk, WI Reply with quote

1'st annual BBQ competition, All for charity.

Saturday August 2nd, 2008

I was contacted by a cooking team based from a restaurant to see if we rent our equipment out, I told them no, but depending on what they need and when they need it we may be able to work a deal of some sort with me operating the equipment.

They tell me about an unsanctioned rib competition, first time, only 6 teams, Larry Raymond of Sweet baby rays sauce is one of the 3 judges. the other 2 have no formal training. Public event with 1,000 tickets sold for sampling kits. all proceeds going to charity. Each team also had to donate $1,000.00 to a local charity to be eligible.

I told them I can bring my large cooker down and do this for them pro-bono since it is a charity event.

So we are al ready to do this, the meat provider showed up with these huge back ribs that are larger then most spares I see. Tougher then nails and plain old downright ugly! The label on the box said "Back loin Strip Ribs" WTF is a "strip-rib" the meats are provided by the organizer for this one.

I was also told about an explosion at a local paper mill that killed 3 people, (R.I.P.) you may have seen it on the national news yesterday. 2 of those people were on another cooking team. so they are now scrambling to get another 166 racks of ribs done for this event and these deaths will cast a shadow on the whole deal.
I am now bringing or full arsenal to this event to try and make up for the tragedy that removed a cooking team.

I asked the organizer of this event if he would consider trying to make this an actual KCBS sanctoned event. I explained some of the benefits of having a governing body handle this, and the people and money it would bring into the community and he likes the idea.
So I downloaded the KCBS handbook for getting an event sanctioned and I will be giving that to him tomorrow.

Can anyone else offer their expertise with this to try and get a sanctioned event happening in the northwoods of Wisconsin?

Would all you WI, IL, IA, MN, IN & MI people consider doing a weekend in the northwoods for a comp? What time of year do you think would be the best to shoot for? August seems to be our most busy time and I think they would like it during our busy season. I have not explained yet that public feeding is not part of an actual comp. But maybe they can also do a peoples choice vend-able event to go along with it.

I am hoping this becomes a reality, We are trying to take time from our catering to try and attend and compete in some comps in this state, but everytime I choose a comp that is close enough we get booked catering for that weekend. I was hoping to attend princeton, but now I am roastng 2 pigs that day for a wedding, A biker wedding at that, and they want an "Old-School" pig roast.
We are doing one in a pit underground. luau style, and another on the rotissrie, but with the fire directly on the ground instead of our grill frame.
so this should be an interesting day.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Thrilla On the Grilla" Tomahawk, WI Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I was also told about an explosion at a local paper mill that killed 3 people, (R.I.P.) you may have seen it on the national news yesterday.

OMG... PCA in Tomahawk is one of my biggest customers. I didn't know any of those killed, but I had been to the plant twice about ten years ago.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harry, do it during Fall Ride. It would be a good venue with all of those extra thousands of people, and a help tie it in with the whole Idea fall ride is based on, a good time and the muscular dystrophy telethon.
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the right track with getting the organizers to move to a sanctioned contest. It can help draw a large field to the event.

Eventhough the proceeds go to charity, the contest would need to have some decent prize money advertised to help draw the contestants. The best source for some guaranteed prize money is sponsors. I would hope that the KCBS literature covers some of these points.

Your region may best benefit from a contest that is in the peak of summer when it is so swelteringly hot through most of the country.

Best of luck and hats off to you for stepping up to help fill the void from the missing team/members.
Coz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August and september are when the bulk of the comps in Wi are scheduled.There was 1 in june this year also. I think if they are trying to draw a decent # of teams they should look at the schedule in the surrounding states also.DeForest was a first time comp in June this year and drew 26 teams and there was a comp in Iowa that drew some of the other teams that might have been there.Typically Princeton drew several Minnesota teams but this year there is a contest in Minnnesota on the same weekend so they most likely are loosing those teams..Explain the importance of getting the govenors proclamation making it a state championship.It gets the winner into the draw for the Jack and also an invite to the Royal.They must draw 15 teams as a first year contest to qualify for these perks.

BBQ as tender as baby mice !
Reddog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 08 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCA explosion was a hard tragedy for this town. They have also endured two murders in the span of a year. Tough stuff for a small town to deal with.

I would love to see this turned into a sanctioned event. The difficult sell would be getting enough competitors to come that far north. I would not have the event coincide with the Fall Ride, however. One, there is already a huge shortage of places to stay during the ride, even if you traveled a half an hour away. All of the larger areas for hosting a competition are already taken by the ride vendors. Two, Tomahawk would financially benefit more from having this event on a different weekend. I think it would be a fantastic 1st weekend in October event. October is an open month for Tomahawk's big events calendar. The next event after the Fall Ride is the venison feed in November, the day before the opener of gun deer season. If you went too far into October, you might be dealing with the possibility of really crappy weather.

Sara Park, along the Wisconsin River would be the perfect location for the event because of the long old air strip drive that runs parallel to the river. Plenty of space. No shade, but it has all of the electrical hook ups and water in close proximity. Bradley park would also be a fantastic setting, but you might not be able to have enough space for the big rigs to pull into and the competitors might be a little fragmented due to the pockets in the dense woods. This park also has frontage on Lake Mowhawksin (Wisconsin River) and utilities to support a competition. Catching a couple of walleyes, after getting the butts and brisket on the bbq sounds like a nice way to spend an evening.

One of the cool things about Tomahawk is that the towns people get very involved with any happenings because they have a great sense of community and they welcome new events. Because they are very civic minded people, they also like fund raising aspects of events. Perhaps there would be a way to also raise money for a good cause that could go along with a sanctioned event.

I am a homebrewer, as well as a bbq nut and I think a BBQ and Brews event would be a great way to attract more people. I am very familiar with the many beer festivals that take place in Wisconsin throughout the year and I know the micro's, craft brewers and some macro's are more than happy to attend as many events as they can throughout the year because it is one of the best ways to market your brews. Just a thought.

Harry, are you cooking for the Happy Snapper or Billy Bobs? I saw the owner of Billy Bob's spouting off about bringing some of Chicago's best BBQ dudes to assist him in the local paper. Maybe he was BS'in and he's actually bringing in a ringer from the area;). Are you going to slather your ribs in Larry's thick goo? I actually like to use it in conjunction with other ingredients. It makes a good base for starting sometimes.
chzhed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 08 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in for that, Harry. Probably best in July, most of the WI contests seem to be Aug. or Sep.

Jon
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03 08 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cooking with Billy-Bobs team, His "big-gun" was an older retired comp cook from Carbondale IL, with a rub that absolutely kicked rockedt!!

I liked it so much I am considering re-working my basic catering rub to be similar.

The only thing that I did not like about it is that it liked to get dark if the moisture level in the cooker was not real high. I experimented with the rub in the DPP a few weeks ago during our taste-test runs . I decided the water pans would aleviate the darkness and got lucky with it.

Anyways, We nailed it!! Another win in ribs! Woo-Hoo. 2-comps, 2-wins for us. (but lets see what happens in a sanctioned event where we get our asses handed to us!)

I got a call late yesterday explaining that I did not need to bring the whole stable down, another team was able to step in for the PCA team that lost their members to a tragic accident. So we only had to do 160'ish racks.
Meeting Larry Raymond was a trip & a half, He did a judges meeting and explained KCBS criteria to them and they went with it. I missed the ultimate photo opportunity by not getting a picture of him dressed in his SBR garb, & myself in front of our banner.

if this was peoples choice, we would have most likely been DAL!!! (why?)

For you non-cheeseheads, when people think of ribs this far north, they expect mushy, overcooked, falling off the bone, boiled, steamed, crap!
And they like them that way!!
You would not believe how many people thought our ribs were undercooked because of the smokering coloring.

I had a few moments to wander around to do some recon before the onslaught, and I saw the other teams serving their steamed or boiled ribs right out of Nesco roasters. The only team besides us cooking with wood or charcaol was the fire dept. team. But they started with steamed ribs too. Everyone else used gas or electric roasters! then they were Plopping that wet slop (that used to be meat) onto the people plates, then digging out 2 bare bones from the Nesco to put on top of that pile of slop.

The people were commenting on how tender those ribs are, and liking it!!

Ok, enough about ripping on what my fellow WI residents think ribs shoud be. But I had to help you guys understand better and to vent a little.

Best time for a comp. in Tomahawk WI;

Defenitely NOT during the fall-ride. Hotels are packed to the gills as far away as 100 miles in every direction for that event. Plus I will be vending for that event anyways. That one weekend could show bigger numbers then what most of us bring home in pay over a 3-year period if you have the right spot to do it at. ( I hope I have that spot this season)

I would like to see something happen the week after the July 4th weekend, How does that sound??

But, people are still going to want to eat ribs. So could there be 2 different comps happening in one event?? A KCBS member event, and a local business/backyard event maybe at the same time with the locals feeding the crowd just like happened today?

Now remember this event went off during the same weekend as "Pig in the pines" in St. Germain, the A/V firemans picnic, a few different church festivals, a poker run on lake nokomis and countless other events that happened today within 30-40 miles. And we still were packed with all 1,000 sampling tickets sold out! great stuff for the 1st ever event.
(I also had our 2nd string crew cater a wedding today by Somo lake)

I bought a raffle ticket from the lions club this morning, and won!! I knew it was going to be a great day right then & there!!!

We pulled ribs out of my cooker, ran them across our charcoal grill, then cut & served. One of the crew wanted to help me and I kindly mentioned that I would rather be the only one in the cooker, but he helped anyways and took out one of my brand new Tel-tru's that I had to custom order and wait 6 weeks for delivery!! Now I get to wait another 6-weeks to get that replaced, I also need to check calibration on the other side, There was alot of letting the lid slam down happening from other people.
The guy left a rack out a bit and let the lid fall on it, The 6" stem on the thermo was no match for the weight of those doors. I didn't nosice the damage at first, but the thermo never synced with the other door, so I investigated the cause and saw the bend in the stem. I will need to cut or break it off to get it out it is so bent up.

I'll add more later, I need to get horizontal before I collapse, I have a group of 150 we are feeding pulled pork tomorrow,(catering gig) and my serve time is at 1:00 PM. So guess what time I need to get everything fired up again. These "3-events in 2 days" like we've had in the last few weeks is taking it's toll. Just pork, beans rolls & sauce for this one, Nothing fancy!

Good night guys,
Reddog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesco roasters?? That's some stiff competition. They need a real, sanctioned, event. Had you not been there, I bet Billy Bob's would have done the same thing. They did something close to that in their former restaurant, The Tomahawk Lodge. Gummy meat in a sweet sauce with a little tang. They had fantastic steaks, but I wouldn't have gone back twice for ribs.

It sounds like two competitions might be needed if the expectation of good ribs involves boiling. The main reason I thought a fall comp would be better has to do with spreading out large events for Tomahawk. The week after the 4th might not be the best idea. I am familiar with the amount of preparation the town goes through to put on the three day 4th of July celebration. I doubt they would be ready to take something like this on so quickly.

I'm glad the turn out was so strong. There probably is room for a little education about real BBQ with that kind of interest. I hope they consider an expanded competition, even if it is a backyard competition with certified judges.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little less exhausted today, All I had to do was serve 100 peeps some pulled pork w/rolls, beans, & kraut today. Real easy gig, I ran it solo with a little help setting up this A.M. The person that organized the event had 50 pounds of fresh strawberries for shortcake, I ate a large serving of that and actually got to sit down with the guets for a while. It was the most stress free event I have ever done. or maybe after doing Tomahawk the day before just made it seem easier.

I did some math on poundage for the Tomahawk event, we did 160 racks, 3 pound avergae, so maybe 480-500 pounds out between the hours of 10-5, there was no hot-holding happening with us either.

Billy-Bobs ribs; He must have changed his approach on those since he is in the new location, He has two electric smokers out on the deck that burn chips, he fills those, and pulls the racks out as needed and runs them across the large gas grill he has outside to finish them. He has been selling out each night he does them. I like the guy, he has got a great business going too.

SBR sauce; I am not a real fan of it, I like a good vinegar hit when I have ribs, If you absolutly had to use it, and only had other bottled sauces to work with, I think 50/50 SBR & open-Pit blue label gets it more towards where I would like it.
But the guy designed a sauce that is wildly popular in this state and many others. People really like the sweetness and the thickness of it, I also avoid it because it is the stuff most boiled-rib slingers use straight out of the bottle, I try to distance ourselves as much as possible from it.

I do 2 mustard based sauces, people ask "What is that?" with an odd tone to their voice, and once they taste it they really like it, I have had requests for quart jars of it plenty of times.

During my down time today I was thinking about how Tomahawk could do a comp and local people and tourist's could still partcipate.

Basically do the same thing as last weekend, but move it to a larger area and have a defining line between the KCBS area, and the local competition with signs clearly stating that KCBS competitors are unable to give samples. Maybe do a street dance with beer tents afterwards (In true Northern WI style)
I would love to see more people in this area realize what real BBQ is, and not what they think it is.
I was very worried about starting our catering business for that very reason. Suprisingly enough I have only had a few people ask what I use to boil our ribs in to make them so tender but not mushy. I still get the "This meat isn't done, it is still pink on the edges" once in a great while once it is explained what a smoke-ring is, then they are ok and other people tend to enlighten them too.
Roasting pigs was my income last season, and suprisingly I have ony done 2 of them this year. So at least the people in this area are coming around.

it is going to be a long uphill battle.

what do you say us cheeseheads in the north really push for a sanctioned comp to happen. I have been hitting the Minocqua chamber about it for years, they have absolutley no interest in even thinking about it. I think Tomahawk is the best bet, the communtiy is huge into outdorr events and fundraisers, and I really like that about that town. I would actually consider moving there if I had a restaurant down that way. real estate is half the cost of up here!

Please come up with some suggestions so we can get this ball rolling and maybe see this Tomahawk comp come to fruition by 2009.

Thank you for the help.
Coz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have some luck getting a comp going.We would drive up to compete if it doesnt conflict with another event.

BBQ as tender as baby mice !
Trainwreck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 08 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, keep me informed as well and I will make the trip up. Even if you need a hand on a weekend give me a shout and if I got nothing going on I can head up.
Andy
WSM
Brinman SnP
3-UDS's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: