FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting my smoker in half...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 9:38 am    Post subject: Cutting my smoker in half... Reply with quote

Well… not really, Laughing I divided it in half though Very Happy , and I put in a second stack. Now I have a conventional offset/reverse/ two in one smoker…whatever you call it, I just hope it works! If not, I’ll make it work. Rolling Eyes

Here’s my reason for the change: I kind of knew it all along but after the first cookout, I made my mind that a four foot smoker is really all I’m going to be using the most, … ehhhhh occasionally like one a year a large get to gather BBQ with family, friends and neighbors, so I figured it if I divided the cooking chamber I could have all I need plus some. Hopefully, I’ll be able to cold smoke in one end while cooking ribs or whatever else one the other end…

Back to work, I had another piece of sckl 40, 6 inch pipe and plenty of 1/4 “ left over plate from this project. Here I’m laying out the needed pieces to insulate the fire box:

Fitting the stack using a piece of 6" PVC

Here are a couple more shots:

Three pieces made up the divider, one short piece on the bottom, (this one will have slotted holes for adjustment) the large middle piece and the top piece, all held together with 5/16 bolts (welded) very easy to remove!

The tuning plates are but- up together with a four inch opening at the end for heat/smoke reverse flow.

The final results:

Pretty soon I’ll have this baby all done…just before the stripped bass run

two smokers in one

Life's too short to drink bad wine!

Last edited by JoeD on Sun Jun 22 08 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Joe! See no reason she won't work that way for you. Cool
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Joe!
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same idea when I built the twins.

Good luck it should work fine.
coal miner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeD
I'll tell you what .You're just smarter than a good show dog !! Seriously That is one he77 of an idea .Don't see why it wouldn't work great .I put some rod hangers in top of mine to hang the sausages. All you have to do is take out the grates and you have all kinds of room to hang them.here's a poor pic. there's a place for 2 -3/8s rod on each side.Looking good
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 08 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coal miner wrote:
JoeD
I'll tell you what .You're just smarter than a good show dog !!

Laughing Laughing That is funny... Laughing thanks, I like the sausage hanging rods idea, my upper cooking tray is only 6" from the top, so I might just remove the top tray and hang the rods on the angle iron sliders. Its a long learning experience guys.

two smokers in one

ELM2627

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30 08 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
How do you open up the left side to allow heat in when using it for large cooks, pics if possible.
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30 08 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELM2627 wrote:
Joe
How do you open up the left side to allow heat in when using it for large cooks, pics if possible.

I just slide out the cooking trays, unbolt and remove the divider plates all together which takes only 5 minutes; I adjust the tuning plates back to their original marks and she's ready to roll.

two smokers in one

Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01 08 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I am really liking the pits that are red and black.

JoeD, that was a good idea on the splitting. The MAIN reason I didn't make this last pit out of a propane tank I have is because I don't usually cook for a crowd, mainly just for me and the wife. This pictorial showing how to go about possibly splitting it kind of has my welding rod holding hand twitching a bit!

One question, now that you've done the split, have you seen a reduction in the number of sticks it takes to keep her at temp for a long smoke?

CB
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01 08 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cranky Buzzard wrote:
Ya know, I am really liking the pits that are red and black.

JoeD, that was a good idea on the splitting. The MAIN reason I didn't make this last pit out of a propane tank I have is because I don't usually cook for a crowd, mainly just for me and the wife. This pictorial showing how to go about possibly splitting it kind of has my welding rod holding hand twitching a bit!

One question, now that you've done the split, have you seen a reduction in the number of sticks it takes to keep her at temp for a long smoke?

CB

Aye, i like the red and black combo myself, since my truck is red with black trim as well.
Thats why i built mine the way i did CB, I dont need a big cook area for just the family, if i wanna grill i close the partition door to the smoker, if i wanna smoke i lay the deflector plate in the bottom on the grill side and open up the paritition door to the smoker. Cool
coal miner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint really sets one off. Yours is looking really good. You can tell that there is a lot of thought there on that build. Congrats !! I also like the shelf , is it redwood ? Red and black rulz !

JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I haven't burn sticks only since I "cut" the smoker, you can click the following link http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16869&highlight= and read about the test I ran after insulating the fire box and installing the divider plates.

Since the changes, I can assure you that this smoker became very efficient and easy to maintain steady temps considering the size and overall design. Also, installing gaskets on the fire box and cooker doors was the key for long and better controlled burning time.

Here's a couple more posts with more info:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17141&highlight=

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17488&highlight=

I hope this can help you...

two smokers in one

Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 08 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the smoke stacks extended down to the lower grate level. Doesn't this cool down the top level? Just curious.
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 08 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:
Why are the smoke stacks extended down to the lower grate level. Doesn't this cool down the top level? Just curious.

Negative my friend, heat rises so the top cooking grate gets slightly hotter then the bottom grate. The temperature difference varies depending on what I cook, for example; I've seen as much as 30* difference between the top and bottom temp gauges when I cooked a whole pig, I suppose the large meat mass changed the heat flow dynamics causing more heat to be trapped on top.

Last Friday I cooked 6 slabs of baby back ribs on the bottom tray and 2 slabs of spare ribs on the top tray, the temperatures between top and bottom trays stayed within 5* throughout the cook.

The trick for even temperatures between bottom and top grates is to create the best possible heat distribution and flow dynamics within your cooker, the bottom end of your stack and its output angle are two important factors.

two smokers in one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: