FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Minute Brisket Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mubballfan

PostPosted: Sat May 17 08 10:02 am    Post subject: Last Minute Brisket Question Reply with quote

So I've read all the brisket posts on here and was all ready to go (6.5 lb brisket at 220 for about 8 hours) however, costco only had 3.5 lb briskets so i'll be using 2 cuts. My question is: do I still need to cook for 8 hours or should 4 hours be okay since it is 2 seperate 3.5 lb cuts? This is my first time cooking brisket (you guys steered me right on pulled pork, thanks) and have about 10 people coming over tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
pafisher
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 17 08 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'll need more than 4 hours . i'll bet more like 6.5 or 7 ... i always do them by feel ,,, when i can push my thermometer through the middle of the brisket ,and it feels like im pushing it through butter ,,,its done
mubballfan

PostPosted: Sat May 17 08 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you apply the 1-1 1/2 hr per lb rule to the total amount of meat, not the size of each cut? thanks.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 17 08 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- 11/2 hours per pound approx ..........until you reach an internal temp of 200 degrees. When it is done....it is done, don't watch the clock.
mubballfan

PostPosted: Sat May 17 08 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, thanks
jib
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 20 08 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 3.5 pounder is a fully trimmed costco flat, you may want to lay some bacon over the top to keep it moist. Next time, ask your costco butcher for an untrimmed 5-6 pound brisket, with the fat cap intact. They come in cyrovac and have much more of the fat intact to keep the meat moister. Usually, it will be $0.70-$1.00 less expensive/per pound, than the fully trimmed flats, but you are paying for some fat that you really want.

Jack
mubballfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 08 12:51 am    Post subject: Yep! Reply with quote

They both had decent fat caps on 'em (about 1/4"), but still came out drier than I would've liked. I didn't foil, which I will try next time. Haven't seen the cryovac'ed briskets at my costco, will ask next time.
jib
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 08 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't see them. You will have to ask. They get them in that way SOMETIMES. I say sometimes, because since my post, I went in to buy a flat. I jusdt didn't want to smoke a fully packer and my costco butcher told me that they have been receiving fully trimmed flats now, not cyro packed untrimmed briskets. I hope you don't encounter the same.

BTW - I don't ever foil a brisket, but I do let the AJ/JD/Maple syrup spray from my ribs drip all over the brisket after about 10-12 hours. That moisture/glaze may make a difference.

Jack
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 08 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Sam's nearby, you might try looking there. They usually have the cryovac packers. Been several months since I checked so not sure what the cost is.

I usually take mine to 165* and then put in foil pan covered tightly with foil and take that to the 195-205 level. Let rest about 1-11/2 hours in a cooler then separate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: