FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 08 9:07 pm    Post subject: Recipe ideas Reply with quote

I was sitting around trying to think of something new to make and had an idea for a Mexican Style meatloaf. So I toyed with the idea and came up with a meatloaf with taco seasoning for flavor, onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos mixed in for the "veggie" effect. For the glaze I was thinking of Valentinas hot sauce (http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1115.html use the Red label not the black if heat is a problem) or Sri Racha and ketchup. The only problem I've had is I'm working 6 days a week now and Sundays I just recover sleep. I was wondering if someone could take this idea and run with it or tweak it and let me know how it comes out or what you did. I can't wait to hear some ideas.
aminata

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29 08 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you want someone to cook it and then give you feedback as to how it came out?
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 08 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cook it, but throw out some ideas in making it or if there is a recipe out there share it. I know there's alot of really creative people here so I was kinda more or less looking for ideas. Nothing like trying to throw something together on my day off and having it suck. Then I'd have to order pizza.
Embarassed
bigdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 08 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put some high melt point (can't remember the type) mexican shredded cheese in it and perhaps roasted, rather than raw, peppers.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 08 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to learn how to duplicate Mom's meatloaf. You can use fresh onion, bell pepper & jalapeno as long as you dice it small enough. It has to be smaller than 1/4" dice to cook through in the time the loaf cooks.

Your recipe looks good but it needs liquid, like a red sauce or enchilalda sauce, a couple of eggs and bread crumbs (moistened with your Mexican beer of choice?) for a binder. Glaze it with Crystal hot sauce's Chipotle Sauce & ketchup.

I may try this recipe out this week.
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 08 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking on this again, darn adult beverages and hunger make me creative. Instead of bread crumbs or something of that sort do you think corn tortilla chips cut small and mixed in or whole ones rolled in the loaf kinda like a stuffed fatty would work ? Or would it just get mushy and useless ? I liked the grilled peppers and onion idea. Maybe just roasted. Scorch the outside and peel them. And all this started with a few beers and reading the smoked meatloaf recipe while eating tacos. Very Happy
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01 08 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, isn't wonderfull what a few beers will do for your brain? I think the chips would just get mushy and I don't know if they would act as a binder either (not that I have any experience). You could add the taco seasoning to the cervesa moistened breadcrumbs to season them.
bigdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01 08 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the tortilla chips, you could put them in a plastic bag and roll them with a rolling pin into the equivalent of cracker crumbs, which I often used in meatloaf. The bigger pieces would likely just be big mushy pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: