FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much for smoking turkeys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazylegs
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 5:37 am    Post subject: how much for smoking turkeys Reply with quote

Well as you guessed it turkey season is already, almost here and I have received allot of requests for smoking turkeys, one question how much should I charge a flat rate or go by the pound. I 'm thinking by the pound at a rate of $5.00 per pound. Does that sound reasonable? I'm also thinking about brining it what type of brind should I use?
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supply the bird and get $35 per... usually a 12 - 14lb turk...

Can't help with the brine question. When smoking several birds during the holidays, I just buy 8 - 12% solution added birds...

James.

Last edited by JamesB on Sun Oct 23 05 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a little high for around here. I've got orders for 16 so far and I charge $40 for a 12-14 lb. bird.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krazylegs is from N. Calf. $5 a pound may be cheap there. My suggestion is to see what others are doing and match or beat their price. In your marketing, focus on what makes your smoked turkey different or better than theirs. In my next Pitmaster University class in November we are teaching students to smoke turkey and ham. The class is almost filled at $65 per person for a one day class. I guess people who like smoked turkey...realllllllly like it, and are willing to pay for it or learn how to do it. Good luck Krazy, I hope you do well.
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
That seems a little high for around here. I've got orders for 16 so far and I charge $40 for a 12-14 lb. bird.

Where do you buy your birds?
Jay
krazylegs
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 4:34 am    Post subject: turkeys Reply with quote

well boys first off no one else in this area is doing the turkey thing, that being said I in all regards want to seem gready with that price. I stated that price as a base, somewhere to start.

allsmoke- you charge 40.00 does that include you buying the dird or them buying it. As for me I buy the bird at WINCO or SAMS I forget how much a pound.

any brine methods?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my birds at Sams or a local grocery chain called Reasors depending on the price. Sams here has them for about $.95/lb right now, but about a week before Thanksviging until after Christmas, Reasors usually has them for between $.79 and .89/lb.

My price is with me supplying the bird. I don't brine them. I coat w/ olive oil, stuff the cavity w/ apple and onion quarters and apply a rub. They smoke for 5-6 hrs. I let the customer know when they will be ready and the customer is responsible for picking up when they are ready. I won't store them, but will deliver for a fee.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant and Safeway grocery stores have $0.49 turkey's right now.
Slamdunkpro
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get $55 for a 22 - 28 lb whole bird and $45 for a 18 lb bone - in - breast

Regards,
Michael
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13 05 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with allsmoke on this one! I charge $40.00 for a 12-14lb. bird, smoked and ready to go in its own pan. Prices in Ca. are a bit higher though, and it depends on how many you are cooking. I usually cook up at least 4-5 for friends, but we cook ours in the oven! Shocked Very Happy

Plus, don't forget to add on the extra service charge if they are hard to get lit! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: