FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone ever think back??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:45 pm    Post subject: Did anyone ever think back?? Reply with quote

Question, did anyone ever think back to your early days of smoking and or grilling and think about some of the disasters you've made? Post your thoughts or pics. Mine I've made ribs that were tough as boot leather and some that were so salty the dog wouldn't touch them.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that all the time... but if I told you about them, I'd have to make you eat as much as I did of those mistakes. Just so you'd know what I was talking about.

I think for the most part we are like Surgeons..."we bury our mistakes"! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... what are these mistakes you speak of. I am not familiar Laughing Laughing

I got plenty and since Im pretty new to low and slow the seem to keep coming my way from time to time.

From the driest brisket in all the land to the ribs that would be ham. But, thats part of the fun for me, plus the dogs like it when I screw up.
UDS
Weber Performer
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the info here on the ring there haven't been very many. As far as Q. I did think I was going to chop up my chargriller at one point. Now grillin', that's another story. Many a charred piece of meat has been tossed after a case (or so) of beer. Embarassed Don't really remember details though.

Doc
Fuzzbucket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeber the very first time I lit up new (at the time) charcoal grill. I had never heard of a charcoal chimney, knew nothing of lump coal or temp control. I just laid down the lighter fluid, put the grate on and "grilled" some fish. Horrible, absolutely horrible!

The bright side is that experience led me to places like this where real information exists.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only real disaster was my first attempt at smoking cheese in one of my DIY wooden smokers I used to make. (those things rocked)

The temp got a little out of hand, (unknown at the time).
when I opened the smoker door the next morning I had cheddar cheese icicles hanging throughout my smoker!

I try to do cheeses in the winter, and it got down to -20 that night, so after the fire was out, the strings of cheese actually did freeze.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some beef ribs for the first time on my offset and they were so tough you needed a chainsaw to get through them, even the dog would have turned his nose up at them. Laughing I was trying to introduce some of my friends to real BBQ,needless to say they were not impressed............but i made up for it in future BBQ's and won them back over,now they are buggin me all the time to cook some Q. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Captain Morgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got started making q in the 90's I found some bbq oriented message boards and everyone was talking about brisket.
I'm from North Carolina, I had no idea what everyone was
talking about, but they all said it was so good I decided to
try one. Went to my store, and all they had was corned beef
brisket....that was the only kind I knew existed anyway...so
I bought it and smoked it....thought it was funny everybody
in Texas and KC thought pastrami was great bbq!

Beef ribs also produced some interesting results.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about 18, didn't know a thing really about how to cook various meats. I had grilled many steaks, and could make a real mean steak, but that was it except for burgers, dogs, that sorta thing.

I picked up some Country Style Ribs on sale. Figured I always liked ribs, these were on sale and had no bones to boot! I fired up my kettle grill with a full load of charcoal and put them on. Smelled great. Put some sauce on after cooking them, but was unable to chew them. Had to toss it.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 4:36 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Yes,

My one and only grease fire in my old stick burner. A very vivid memory.

RandyE
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I will say is NEVER inject a 10lb. turkey with 16oz. of 100 proof southern comfort before deep frying Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
The "O"
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
All I will say is NEVER inject a 10lb. turkey with 16oz. of 100 proof southern comfort before deep frying Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BOOM!!!!!!!!

I never made a mistake, the funny thing is I always screwed it up! Laughing Now I can cook alittle better I hope. The catering is going well. I just hope the customers of mine aren't from the way back when days and using my catering as a poor fella lets help him thing.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Mulberrry makes your lips numb. Don't ask me how I know Embarassed
troystr68
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I over smoked some chicken so much so it was like chewing on a tree limb even the dog wouldn't eat it.. LOL I have since learned how to manage the fire.

the more smoke you can produce is NOT always better LOL
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought smoking was meat,heat and smoke so I took two gorgeous porterhouse steaks and threw them on the grill. Then figured if a little mesquite is good alot must be better. The maggots in the trash woudn't touch them. Now I would never smoke a steak. Live and learn.
SloppyGroove
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the first times on the Grill. Itís been a little over a decade now since the tragedy. I prepped the Briquettes with pretty much a whole can of lighter fluid. (At the time I hated relighting the fire with more fluid as it was going (a no-no I know)) I lite the grill and quickly stepped back as if lighting a firecracker. The fire became roaring hot in no time.
On the menu were some Beef ribs that I picked up a food 4 less. I opened the wrapper and threw the ribs on the still flaming grill (fat and membrane directly on the fire). Then things turned horrible wrong!
The fire was so hot it quickly melted the fat off and the fire grew out of control into a small bon fire.
In a panic I shut the grill door thinking that this would smother the fire. I opened the door once again and suddenly I was hit with a giant cloud of smoke and fire; Singeing the hair on my arms and face. I quickly stepped back shielding my eyes with the back of my hand, my mind still in the grip of terror and confusion. The fire had grown angry and vengeful at my attempt to end its life. In its fury it bound itself around my ribs claiming its prize. In a last ditch effort I honestly thought I would be able to save my feast from its demise. But alas the fire was to hot, and my Plastic fork jumped out of my hands and into Satanís pit, melting into a black goo.
After the fire had its way with my meat. Shocked Shocked
I decided food was food and I was going to eat it regardless.
The verdict...charred,...lighter fluid and plastic chemicals. Yummy...
Very Happy
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:30 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I know I have posted already. And this didn't happen to me, but I was at the event and watched every step.

At a Scout event in Ky. There were 550 people there, and we were told we were having BBQ chicken for dinner. On sat morning, the host group set up a metal pin 30' long and about 3' wide. Then at 2:00 they loaded full to the top with hard wood, and then 2:30 they poured KEROSENE on it and lit it.
After two hours the flames were still 6' high. The metal walls got so hot they came out with a water hose and started spraying the walls and then the fire itself.
At 5:15 everyone realized they had only 45 min to set the meal. The flames were still above the sides of the metal. They hit the fire hard with teh hose and threw all the chicken on in metal grates (like a meadow creek grill). After 5 minutes the fire was coming back up strong. they realized the chicken was burning on the first side, so they flipped it and then burned the second side. After 15 min of flipping the chicken and spraying with water. Someone had the idea of putting sauce on the chicken.
The sauce burned instantly, so they flipped it and put sauce on the other side and then burned it to. Well it was now time to serve.

NO ONE ever looked to see if it was done. Leg thigh quarters. In an attempt to keep from burning the chicken they took it off many times. And the chicken cooked less than 20 min. For many pieces I saw the center was still cool.

AND THEY SERVED EVERY PIECE.

Our guys went to Shoneys for dinner.

RandyE
Brinnie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first thing I cooked was Ribs, at least that is what they looked liked when I put them in - I had just finished building my Smoker
And had No idea of how to contol the heat or any thing else on it - It was trial and error - More error than Trial !!
I ended up Chucking out 10 Black and Hard as a rock Slabs of ribs with the trash - The Wild Dingoe's even ran away from them !!

Cheers
Smoking
Down Under
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my start in Q back before the internet. Now I could grill up some mean steak, chicken and burgers so how could Q be! I had a Brinkman Smoke-n-Pit. Decided to go for a whole packer brisket since they were on sale for $.39lb. Loaded up the firebox with wood and got it going. Let it burn down to coals and put the brisket on. No thermometer on the pit. Well, I just couldn't figure out why this pit was not smoking so I loaded more wood on... It would smoke for about 20 mins and then the smoke would go away... BBQ was supposed to be smoked right? So, more wood... then more wood... then more wood... etc. Was worried about drying it out and it HAD been on the pit for over 5 hours... Tough, underdone, creasote city! After trimming off all of the burnt, bitter exterior, I had about a hockey puck sized piece of underdone brisket left... I ate it with pride. Decided I had better practice some more...

James.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09 08 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs are the only things I've ever had problems with. Totally screwed both beef and pork ribs the first two times I tried each.

And like Doc1680 said - thanks to the awesome advice I've had here, the ribs are turning out great now!
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: