FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commercial French Fry Cutter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachsands

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 08 3:39 am    Post subject: Commercial French Fry Cutter Reply with quote

Looking to add fresh cut fries at our restaurant and I need to buy a commercial FF cutter. I have looked at them on ebay and while they call them commercial, who knows?

I have looked at commercial restaurant equipment sites but I am not familiar enough with this piece of equipment too know a quality machine and if its a decent price.

Any words of advice will be appreciated.

Joel Question
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 08 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is VERY similar to this one - we LOVE it..

Link

You can get them to cut different sizes. We use the 1/4" because they fry faster..
tony
beachsands

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 08 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony,

I am taking a serious look at the Nemco
product. Any idea of how long a blade lasts before needing to be replaced?

Joel Very Happy
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 08 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had mine 6 months and it still cuts like new..
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 08 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this subject...

How do they & can we...make "Crinkle cut" fries?

Always better fries..something to do with more "surface area".?
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 08 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will not do crinkle cut. I doubt any like that will.

they basically "press" a pototo through a set of knives..

tony
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony
How do u handle ur fries from cuting to seerving to customer?

Thanks
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herman wrote:
tony
How do u handle ur fries from cutting to serving to customer?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Herman!

Great fries can be made from fresh Potatoes by keeping the skin on to enhance the homemade appearance and flavor.

Fries made from peeled potatoes should be chilled after cutting in cold water for 30 minutes to 2 hours before frying, to ensure maximum crispiness.

To prevent darkening, add citrus acid (lemon juice) or acetic acid (vinegar) to the water solution. Spin dry before frying, to avoid water spattering and to reduce fat absorption.

I still work here!
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy

I have customers ask for fresh fries but I do not offer them because I have not been able to come up with a good product on test cooks.
Missing something-or some step-I have been told u need to cook twice???
Have not had time to do much research-gotta be something I am missing?

Herman
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooking twice is a good way of doing it, the first cook is a blanch... plunging them into the hot fat (at 360 F) remove them after a two to three minute cook, (till the fries begin to soften), YMMV so do some test runs to see what results work best for you.

Turn them out and allow them to drain.

Then when cooking, up the temperature to 375 F and cook them to golden brown.

I still work here!
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy
I'll give that a try next week

Herman
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few thoughts..

1. we keep the skin on

2. i put the fryer basket right under the press and cut them right into it.

3. double frying is great - for home. we are too busy to do it. the time thing would kill us. i only have 2 double fryers. when there are 20 orders of frys up, i cant imagine anyone happy with a 20-30 min wait for frys.

4. i use no chemicals - cut, fry, serve hot. moving temps around on a fryer when busy is not practical for me. it may work for you and your situation, but there is no way i could do it.

5. we fry at 350 and keep them in until a nice golden brown..ive never looked at the time, just the color. i tried cutting them and putting them in water, and doing the whole spin thing. still got too much splatter IMO.. even tried doing a pat with a paper towel after the spin. took too much time.

6. shoot me a pm with your phone # and i can call if you'd like and we can chat or i can pm you with mine Wink

tony
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A popular burger joint we frequent does them as tonyg describes, they cut them as ordered and straight into the fryer until done. If you like them crispy, you ask for it tho... IMO, if your going to offer fries, fresh cut is the ONLY way to go!

When doing them at home, I do the blanch, rest and fry method, but I understand the practicalities of trying to do that in a production environment.

James.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long can you hold blanched fries? Or even better, what would be the best way to hold them?

A fish and chip joint by me does them that way. I assume during down time/prep time they blanch 'em. They keep 'em in a plastic bin and finish them to order.

Obviously they have much more frying capacity. A large fryer for chips and one for fish.

Edit: I just found this. It doesn't give a timetable for holding fries but, it says to do it like my local fish and chip joint. Blanch and keep in an uncovered container, even refrigerated... This way you can get a jump on your fry prep before you get busy. You might even save time during rushes by being able to quickly brown the fries instead of having to cook them from scratch...

http://www.mvproduce.com/ffries.html
SmokinQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 08 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the land of fry trucks on every corner everybody double fries their chips.

Most trucks up here spend the morning blanching there fries and then holds them in plastic containers. I have seen some truck with 2 or 3 5 gallon bins of pre-cooked fries.

Then at lunch time the temps are raised up and fries are cooked for a couple minutes until done.

Some of the better fry trucks up here have 10-20 people in line for about an 2 hours at lunch time so all fries need to be pre cooked.
beachsands

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought a cutter! Tony we purchased one similar to the one in your link. I have to agree with you on not having enough time to double fry. As it is, on Fridays we have an all you can eat (AUCE) fish fry. Just keeping up with the basic restaurant operations as it is now is massive. We cut to order mostly and the customers are lovin' em. I am trying to get our BBQ percentage up to about 20% of TGR annually. We just started offering BBQ last summer. My MIL who actually owns the premises was extremely skeptical when we started. That changed when we started selling 40-50 pulled pork sandwiches a day. Tons of ribs, chickens and briskets. All being cooked in the Big Baby I built from the plans on this website. (a lot of 12 hour days, I might add) I am trying to push to get better food products all the time and I think BBQ really helps....as does Fresh cut fries.

Joel

tonyg wrote:
I have a few thoughts..

1. we keep the skin on

2. i put the fryer basket right under the press and cut them right into it.

3. double frying is great - for home. we are too busy to do it. the time thing would kill us. i only have 2 double fryers. when there are 20 orders of frys up, i cant imagine anyone happy with a 20-30 min wait for frys.

4. i use no chemicals - cut, fry, serve hot. moving temps around on a fryer when busy is not practical for me. it may work for you and your situation, but there is no way i could do it.

5. we fry at 350 and keep them in until a nice golden brown..ive never looked at the time, just the color. i tried cutting them and putting them in water, and doing the whole spin thing. still got too much splatter IMO.. even tried doing a pat with a paper towel after the spin. took too much time.

6. shoot me a pm with your phone # and i can call if you'd like and we can chat or i can pm you with mine Wink

tony
Very Happy
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachsands wrote:
....as does Fresh cut fries.

The big one around here lately is sweet potato fries sprinkled with a little brown sugar and served with maple syrup.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
beachsands

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking,
We have gone to that as well, the one thing I do is to have
one of my prep cooks boil a large pan of sweet potatos for 15 mins and then let then cool, they cut a lot easier. Also we will sprinkle them with cajun seasoning if the customer wants.

Joel
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sweet potato fries, but have been unsuccessful gettin the natives here in mn to take a hankerin' to them Confused

tony
beachsands

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09 08 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

You would be amazed at how many sweet potato fries
we sell here in North East Ohio. When we bought the cutter the other day our head cook thought we could cut our own Sweet potato fries as well, but they are just too hard to but thru the cutter raw. So I got on line and found out that if you boil them 10-15 mins., they go thru the cutter just fine.

On a normal day we sell about 12 orders of them, on Fridays we will do nearly 25 orders a day.

Joel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: