FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat Willy's Rib Shack in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonewood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 7:48 am    Post subject: Fat Willy's Rib Shack in Chicago Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Fat Willy's Rib Shack in Chicago. I have heard that they serve "real Q" but I have never spoken to anyone that has eaten there. It is located at Schubert & Western.
Thanks.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it, but I know the neighborhood. It's about 3 miles from my grandparents house at Cicero and Diversey, and about 5 miles from Wrigley Field, where the Cubs play. Great neighborhood, would recommend trying it just based on the location. That whole area is a "foodies paradise", lots of great ethnic cuisine. Tons of great bars. I'd love to try Q up there.
Stonewood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 05 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived most of my life either in Chicago or in the Chicago area and I have never heard of Fat Willy's Rib Shack. I read about it on another discussion list - the person said it was the only real BBQ place in the Chicago area! We are definately going to try it and I'll post a "review."
MattStrube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there tons of times, used to live down the street. It's a great place to grab a bite before a movie and they awesome Mac & Cheese. They also offer sweet and unsweet iced tea. My wife isn't a big BBQ fan, but loves their grilled cheese. They have good lunch sandwhiches, chicken swich is awesome, so is the pulled pork with slaw, but I love ribs, so I gotta get em when i go there. I have tried pretty much everything on the menu. The fries are fat and a bit dry, but you get enough ribs and Mac and Cheese and you'll forget the fries. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars overall. I think the ribs are pretty good, a lot better than Twin Acres boiled ribs, but not as good as Smokin Woody's on North Lincoln (Just North of Irving Park I think). If you want to have really good ribs with a nice smokey flavor, go to Smokin Woodys. If you want a place that is kind of eclectic, next to the theater, convenient for everyone, then go to Fat Wille's. Matt
Stonewood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Matt - I have never heard of Smokin Woody's - the ribs there sound like the ticket - I think we will try them both over the next few weeks. Sounds like great fun.
BTW - you are right about Twin Anchors - funspot but boiled & broiled!
SMOKIN SMOKEY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23 05 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF IT`S IN CHICAGO ITS GREAT.

DA BEARS !
G Wiv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06 05 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fat Willy's Rib Shack in Chicago Reply with quote

Stonewood wrote:
Has anyone tried Fat Willy's Rib Shack in Chicago.

Stonewood,

I've been to Fat Willy's a few times, the BBQ is ok, not the typical fall off the bone/eat it with a spoon Chicago crap, but by no means the best in town. Smokin Woody's is ok as well, they just opened a new place called Calvin's, but neither is anyplace I'd send a serious BBQ guy, though Calvin's does a mean fried catfish.

My current favorite, by a wide margin, is Honey 1 on N Western Ave, but a few blocks South of Fat Willy's. They cook on an Chicago style 'Aquarium' smoker, with all wood, and the tips, links and spare ribs rock.

Honey 1 Rib Tips/Hot Links

Enjoy,
Gary

Honey 1
2241 N Western
Chicago, IL
773-227-5130
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06 05 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love food p*rn!

Garry
Stonewood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06 05 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Thanks for the info - we will definately try Honey 1 first - the picture you sent totally sold us - incredible. I want to try it all - can't wait.
We'll post an update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: