FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Spares

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQBeast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 08 11:43 pm    Post subject: Question about Spares Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I am cooking up some spare ribs this weekend and since I usually cook only loin back ribs, I am wondering if I should trim the top portion of the spare rib or leave them on? What is the diferrence in doing so?

Thanx in advance

Chris
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 08 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you trim it then you have a St. Louis rib, which is what i cook at contests.

But at home i leave it on, it gives you a big meaty rib.

Cooking-wise there really isnt much difference. But if you do trim it off make sure you cook it too, then cut them into 2" peices and cover in sauce. Nothing like some good rib tips.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
BBQBeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 08 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Cool,

I think that I will just leave them on for more rib!!

Also, anyone have suggestions about using mustard on the ribs? I have read a couple of posts on this, but no one has really stated whether they have put a mustard slather on the ribs the day before... Will that break up the ribs too much and will the enzymes of the mustard start cooking the outside of the ribs if I slather them 24 hours in advance?

Thanx
Chris
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 08 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I cant tell any difference at all when I've used mustard compared to not using it. I personally think it is a waste of time to put it on.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 08 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waste of time??
As I've learned, put the dry rub on and leave set for a bit, then slather a good yellow mustard. This will provide a nice base for mopping. Don't mop till an hour into the cook, then every 45min. Don't want to screw up the foundation you just created.

The mustard taste isn't there, but it encourages a nice - ohhh so good crust and allows the mop juice to keep its thing. K_C
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 08 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQBeast wrote:
Also, anyone have suggestions about using mustard on the ribs?

Thanx
Chris

Just wondering why you want to slather and rub so long in advance?

When I am going to start my pit, I take the ribs out of their cryopac.

I set up the firebox with the minion method and wood chunks, then I start a chimney full of charcoal and on getting back to the kitchen, wash my hands.

Unpack the ribs, pull the membranes, slather them in mustard, then shake on an even cover of rub, do the same with slather and rub on the other side, wash my hands again.

The chimney will now be about ready to put into the firebox.

So I put the WSM together, bottom vents fully open middle section on, go back inside and brew some coffee, back outside assemble the waterpan and grates, adding Boston butts or Brisket on the bottom grate, ribs on the top grate, put on the lid.

5 minutes later close down two of the bottom vents and watch the pit settle into the 225 - 250 F zone.

If I am going to do more than 3 butts and 3 racks of ribs, I may get up an hour earlier to slather and rub, but that's about as early as I slather and rub.

I have in the past used longer, but I'm not fond of the hammy taste you can get, if the rub is high in salt, so I changed my methods to suit the way we like them cooked.

walk them out to the pit

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: