FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bride of Franken Smoker (new mods with pics)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17 08 3:31 am    Post subject: The Bride of Franken Smoker (new mods with pics) Reply with quote

Well I am on the way to start a new project with a failed well tank and will be named The Bride of Franken Smoker. Since I have a vertical stick burner (Franken Smoker) also built with basic tools, this one will be a gasser that will also burn sticks if I want. I want a more set it and forget it model. At this point I am going with a traditional off set and if I get enough free steel plate it may become a reverse flow.

Here is the new one that I installed; it’s really not that hard!

Since I joined I have read a lot of posts about people that wish they had the welding skills to make their own smoker. I am going to do this project a little out side the box just to show people that you don’t need a welder (or skills) to build one. Just some simple tools and a set of cutting torches (which you can weld with).

Here is the old 32 gallon well tank cut open. Metal is a little thinner than I expected but thinking that a welding blanket and some 3/8” thick tuning plates will help hold the heat. Why 3/8” you ask? Because I got a lead on some free plate and you know “free is for me”! Very Happy The tank is 16” diameter and 47” long.

And here is the next star of the show. Something that a lot of you might have in the basement collecting dust or even at the transfer station. Yep you guessed it, a weight bench. Nice and sturdy and no welding to be done. Already made for ya to save on all that fab time! This is one that my brother in law handed off when he moved 5 year ago. Just think the wife has been hounding me to dump the thing. But hey, now I have a use for it and she just can’t appreciate a creative thinker! Very Happy

Here is a dry fit of the tank on the stripped down weight bench. Nothing is bolted together at this point and there are NO MODIFICATIONS to the weight bench either. The weight bench could be 100% reassembled at this point, but what is the fun of that? Wink

I will post more photos as I go. I don’t have any plate for the 16” by 16” fire box yet. If I do get the plate I will show you how to build a box with angle iron, SS bolts, and wood stove gasket to seal it up tight. Remember no welder here just torches which I have become quite good at welding with, just time consuming. If the plate falls through, I have been pondering the idea of the char griller side fire box as a bolt on option.

Any comments or design ideas greatly appreciated especially stack size and length.

I will post more photos of the dry fit when I get back to the office as I am at home with a dial up connection (ohhh the pain)! Twisted Evil

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”

Last edited by Teleking on Tue Nov 18 08 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17 08 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project..If you have become good at gas welding,or brazing you are just a step away from heliarc/tig. Both of which are more difficult than stick or mig..
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17 08 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. You could even go DP style with the tank across the weight bar supports and the fire box behind it on the bench. I bet FrankenSmokers wood stove would heat both if you can't find free firebox steel.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17 08 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jess

I have taken a GMAW weekend warrior class in the past. I never said I couldn’t do other types of welding, I just don’t have access to them. I think I can get my hands on a stick welder but I have torches in the shed.

Does anyone think that brazing would hold up in a fire box???? That is way faster than gas welding. Don’t know what the melting point of brass is or if the heat stress will crack it over time.

I kinda want to use the KISS method with this project just to show people that it can be done at low cost by anyone with simple around the house tools and parts. Aside from a BDS that is for a horizontal off-set.

I was thinking a 4” stack, just don’t know how high to make it.

MrCustom

Lets just say that Franken smoker wood stove is really not air tight and needs a lot of baby sitting. Although I do enjoy the challenge of a home made stick burner I just need a set it and forget it rig.

jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17 08 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that brass melts at about 900 degrees +/- maybe to low for a firebox probably fine for cooking chamber. I have brazed expanded metal grates in the past & they stood up fine. The first smoker I put together was with pop rivets then when I was sure of what I wanted I drilled them out & replaced with bolts. Good luck with the project...
KC Boss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18 08 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!

Benching and smoking at the same time. If you need help, I have ideas. I am an idea guy.
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18 08 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If done properly, brazed steel can hold lots of psi. I’ve had my hands on some of that 30 short years ago at a summer job and in my opinion it is more forgiving that TIG, the oxy/acetylene flame must be properly adjusted to avoid porosity, one must also get the proper size burner tip to braze different gauge metal. One thing about brazing sheet metal is the amount of heat, the large flame causes lots of warping, specially on flat thin metal.
I think it’ll be ok on the fire box assuming you’ll braze non porous 100% penetration beads.
I’d borrow a stick welder or better yet I’d borrow a wire feeder…at any rate, good luck with your project and please post pics.

Hey if nothing else works for ya, just ask KCboss...he's da man!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

KC Boss wrote:
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!

Benching and smoking at the same time. If you need help, I have ideas. I am an idea guy.
dmk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 08 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, someone told me once that these tanks are lined. Is this not the case. Have a small one of these, larger diameter, but shorter body, I've always wanted to do something with.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 08 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmk wrote:
Quick question, someone told me once that these tanks are lined. Is this not the case. Have a small one of these, larger diameter, but shorter body, I've always wanted to do something with.
If it says precharged, equalizing,etc. it has a bladder in it. No problem to remove & probably will have less interior rust...
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 08 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
If it says precharged, equalizing,etc. it has a bladder in it. No problem to remove & probably will have less interior rust...

This one was a precharged well tank with a bladder that failed and “water logged” the tank. Pulling the bladder out was not issue as it is just rubber and plastic.

Back to the project. I have now finished the frame to support the tank and fire box. The only tools used so far are a cordless drill, sawsall, jig saw, bench grinder, levels, framing square, and a ratchet set. The frame is held together with bolts, sheet metal crews, and self tapping screws. Here is the final frame design.

I happen to have some t-bar iron laying around and will cut to size and bolt or rivet in the tank to support the tuning plates and cooking grates.

This is a dry fit for now until I can get some plate steel for the fire box to mount the cooking chamber to the frame. Notice I have utilized the extra space on the frame for a work area which will likely be outfitted with cedar or expanded steel.

The wife just can appreciate creative thinking and accused me of being a red neck and a BBQ snob. She can’t bare the thought that this contraption will be parked next to the Franken Smoker. As for the snob part, can it really be BBQ if it’s on the menu and there is no smoker to be seen or smelled on premises?

Still looking at options for plate steel for fire box and tuning plates. I’ll keep ya posted.

Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have a lead on the steel plate but put that on hold when I ran into this free-be. I don’t know what it is but there seems to be an abundance of wood stoves around here. Very Happy
This is a made in Taiwan Franklin knock off called a Scandia 150. Based on my research most forums indicated that this little beauty is best used as a garden planter. This one will be close to that as it will be parked nest to the flower garden in the near future. Roughly 12” by 15” by 20” which is pretty darn close to the 16” by 16” fire box I was shooting for. I know I said gasser but I am going to strip this one down as it is only bolted together and reseal all the seems to get it nice and air tight and should make for an efficient stick burner.

And here is the rear end that will enter the smoke chamber.

The guy I got the wood stove from has some steel plate for tuning plates but the shed is buried under 3+ feet of snow at the moment.

Just to go from one perspective with the above bottom of the line wood stove. Here is the Cadillac model that heats the house every winter. A real work horse when fuel oil is $3.28/gallon. A Jotul CB Firelight 600:

Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08 08 8:10 pm    Post subject: 4-8-08 update Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to getting some more work done on the Bride. Wood stove was completely dismantled with all the seals replaced and glued back together. Finally got it mounted to the weight bench frame as seen here. Sorry, my computer won’t let me resize the pictures today.

Here is the smoke chamber mounted to the frame and wood stove.

The inlet from the wood stove to the smoke chamber.

Here is the template for the heat deflector / baffle.

And finally here is the heat deflector template with some tuning plate templates in the chamber.

I got my hands on some scrap 3/16th plate steel for the tuning plates and baffle and have not had time to cut them out just yet. More to come. Again no fancy tools used here other than a saws all, jig saw, a drill, and a ratchet set to put this all together. Still need to get my hands on some 4” stove pipe. Seems to be an odd size around here and will take a little effort to find some.

Let me know what you think so far!

BufordCityDawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08 08 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a thing of beauty. I just wish I had your mad skills cause I'd love to do a project like that. Harry Nutczak would probably tell you that you should just go buy a new smoker, but what's the fun in that Wink

BCD
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08 08 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BufordCityDawg wrote:
I just wish I had your mad skills cause I'd love to do a project like that.

That is the point of this project, to prove that with a little ingenuity and some simple tools, you don’t need a fancy welder or super skills to build a smoker. You are correct about just buying a smoker as it would be no fun and I am trying to do it for under $100. It would be hard pressed to find an off set cooker for under $100. I have a total of $30 committed at this point. I think the tel-tru thermometer might break the bank on the budget though.

Bushbow
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have less than $150.00 into this one including $40.00 on a Tel-True and about $70.00 for the Bulldog trailer jack and hitch coupler.

I did cheat a little considering my friend owns a welding company and lets me use all his equipment and drops for projects.

I am all about make it yourself for less but if I could afford more I might have bought a trailer instead just to save the trouble.

Bob Urban

by the way - nice smoker, I look forward to seeing it cook.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushbow wrote:
I have less than $150.00 into this one including $40.00 on a Tel-True and about $70.00 for the Bulldog trailer jack and hitch coupler.

I am all about make it yourself for less but if I could afford more I might have bought a trailer instead just to save the trouble.

Bob Urban

by the way - nice smoker, I look forward to seeing it cook.

Does that $150 figure include a tire repair kit and air pump? Laughing

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Bushbow
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - I have new (used) tires but I wont put them on until I have painted it. Right now that is a trailer leveling device until it gets warmer out and I can move it into the back yard. Ground is a little soft yet.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushbow wrote:
Yea - I have new (used) tires but I wont put them on until I have painted it. Right now that is a trailer leveling device until it gets warmer out and I can move it into the back yard. Ground is a little soft yet.

And how do they say it in cliche, overused Jokeland?: It's only flat on the bottom. Razz

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, you only need air in it if you need to move it and it looks great right where it is.
krek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 08 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Green would be proud of both of y'all. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: