FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Venison sausage a little dry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokercraft

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 08 6:46 pm    Post subject: Venison sausage a little dry Reply with quote

My venison sausage is a little dry but the texture is great. Taste is there. I seam to have the right amount of pork now also. I smoke it to 145 deg. internal. Total 8 hours. What can I do to get more moisture in the sausage? Some people say it's a little dry. Help
Howard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 08 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert and I have not tried this, but I've read about using Non Fat DryMilk, or Soy Protien. The book I read this in is "GREAT SAUSAGE RECIPES AND MEAT CURING" By Rytek Kutas

It says: "The soy protien or dry milk help retain the natural juices of the meat as well as bind it together. Rarely used in making fresh sausage, because it would give the sausage that bland and greasy look.
Used in sausage that is going to be smoked and cooked, because it has no effect on the appearance of these sausage other than making it look nice and plump"

3# of soy protein per 100# of meat
salmonclubber
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 08 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokercraft

go to butcher-packer and get some of there special meat binder and some dry powdered milk it will make a huge difference i use 2 oz to 25 pounds of sausage of the meat binder and 2 oz of the dry milk to 25 pounds of sausage it is cheaper than the soy protein
smokercraft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 08 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I use some powdered milk now in my recipe. Maybe I'll try some more and see what happens. I use 1/4 cup to 5lbs. batch of meat.
B.L.Z.A four

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 08 3:36 am    Post subject: how much water? Reply with quote

I made up 25#s of venison sausage last w-end and I put in 3 1/2 cups of distilled water in mine and it isn't at all dry. I would try that and see how it works. You got to have some kind of moisture in it because venison is dry to begin with. I also put in Pork in my venison sausage. I use 15#s of Venison with 10#s of pork. That could be another reason why it is dry.You got to have pork or beef with it...
Hope this helps out some!!!!
B.L.Z.A. four
buroaks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 08 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Venison sausage a little dry Reply with quote

smokercraft wrote:
My venison sausage is a little dry but the texture is great. Taste is there. I seam to have the right amount of pork now also. I smoke it to 145 deg. internal. Total 8 hours. What can I do to get more moisture in the sausage? Some people say it's a little dry. Help

Since you have not detailed your sausage making process, it is difficult to say why your sausage is on the dry side. Some have suggested the necessity of adding pork butt to the mix-that will give it an unctuous quality. When you remove the sticks of sausage from the smoker, give them a hot water shower for 15-30 seconds then dunk them in an ice water slush until the internal temp reaches 100 degrees. Hang them up and let them dry. Maybe you are already doing this, if so disregard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: