FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasoning a smoker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilted-Cue'r

PostPosted: Dec 27 2007    Post subject: Seasoning a smoker Reply with quote

Good Day All!
My mother in-law (out-law, most of the time) bought me a smoker for christmas and it says I need to "season" it before I use it. What is the best way to do this? Any special type of wood? Confused The old smoker I had was a hand-me-down from my brother, so this is my first new smoker.
Thanks for the help!
Go Vols!
-------------------------------------------------------
Any man can que, but not any man can que in a kilt
KC_Bobby
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 28 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, what kind of smoker is it?

The basic idea of seasoning a smoker is to get out any left over dirt, grime, etc from the smoker being produced and adding a layer of cooking oil to help protect it from rust. I think it's more about heat then it is about using a specific wood.

Please post what kind of smoker you have before doing it so someone that is familiar with the exact unit/set up gives some instruction.
Schlitz Keg grill
Kilted-Cue'r

It is a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro
Thanks!
Go Vols!
Smoking Hobbit

If you do a search for seasoning chargriller and select exact match you will find multiple good articles on this subject. There is one titled: "Seasoning chargriller/ offset smoker" that is pretty good.

I haven't figured out how to past posts yet.

I seasoned mine by oiling everything with lard and then running a fire in the main chamber for about 3 hours. wiped it all down, then put another light coat on about every month. Also wipe the outside before I put the cover back on.

There are some old hands out here who will give you great advice. Enjoy the CG, I sure do. [/url]

BBQ satisfies my need to "improve" things
Twomill

Seasoning or curing a smoker is the same principal as seasoning any cast iron cooking pots or skillets. The metal is porous so it tends to soak or retain smells and tastes of foods cooked in it or woods used to heat. So it is kind of important that the type of wood used to heat a smoker whileseasoning it should be a type that one would use to cook with. The inside of the smoker is greased down to seal the pores of the metal with preferable flavors that are cooked with. That is why you should scrape build up from the smoker and not use soap of chemicals, unless you want to reseason every time you clean. Lard is my favorite but I know someone who uses PAM. His Q still tastes like he knows what he is doing. If a smoker is used regularly then probably a wipe down after use is sufficient. If it is put away for the season then the oil in the pores could sour and reflect in the taste of the food when used next. Reseasoning is just as easy as the first time.

Coat or wipe the inside with a liberal amount of clooking oil and heat for 3hours, using good Q wood. Let smoker cool and wipe down again. Your should be seasoned and ready to go. There are probably more ways to do this, but this is the way I have always done it.
Kilted-Cue'r

Thanks for the help guys! Twomill, that was a great explanation. I really appreciate it. Very Happy I'll season tomorrow and start smokin this weekend!
Slainte
Go Vols!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: