FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to make Chili on the grill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08 06 8:31 am    Post subject: I want to make Chili on the grill Reply with quote

Anybody ever made chili on the grill? I know you have to use a pan, but any suggestions?
cabo_wabo_24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08 06 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont the beans fall through the grill though......lol sorry I couldnt resist
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08 06 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some in the smoker. I don't really have any advice for you other than putting it in a pan.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09 06 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it quite often in the pit master university class. Make it your normal way in a pot, use last weeks pulled pork for the meat, heat it up on the stove or top of fire box to get it hot and then transfer it to the smoker for about 5 hours with lid off.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 3:32 am    Post subject: Well, I made the chili Reply with quote

I made the chili and the smoke flavor for the apple and mesquite chips is GREAT. I will try to make chili that way every time if my wife will let me!!!
codel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 07 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make beans on the grill all the time, so I don't see how chili would be that much different. My beans have a lot of meat and veggies in them, so it wouldn't be much different. One suggestion though that I've found works best with my beans. Go buy an iron skillet!

I have my trusty bean pan that is a small skillet that fits nicely on the grill. For chili, try a dutch oven but try to get something more wide than tall if possible. That way you have much more surface area of the food to contact the smoky goodness. Cast iron can be expensive, but I found the cheapos are fine if you cure them right. I bought mine at an "Old Time Pottery" in Independence, MO, for cheap. Wouldn't think to shop there for that, but they had a huge selection at the time at 50% or so of what you'd pay in an outfitter's catalog.

Another trick I've found in making my beans (and would go for chili, too) is to start it all in the same pot on the stove. I cook my burger/meat/bacon a little bit to get the temp up a bit and render some fat and cook the onions/peppers down a bit. If i put the onions in raw they never get very tender smoking/grilling at low temps. Besides, any liquid you have will soak up the smoky flavor nicely. Once you have the starter ready on the stove, add beans, tomatoes, sauce, etc. and let them warm up to the temp of your grill. Then, take the pan straight to the grill. The cast iron will keep the temp steady and decrease the time it takes for everything to equal out temp-wise.

Hope that helps! I use my skillet for everything on the grill. Cast iron can't be beat for that. Also great use: put it on the side (offset heat) when you're cooking steaks on the grill and melt butter and mushrooms. Timing is perfect for a nice topper!
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24 07 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the ground meat on the grill right out of the pack and smoke it until done. That should get you an early start on the smoked flavor. Then just food process into smaller pieces or chop it as you like.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04 07 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch Oven, right on top of the heat. Great results for me.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
gotwood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19 07 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you are using something with a thick bottom, cast with porcelain interior would work great. regulating hot spots and temperature is the problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: